THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you checked Ebay, Bob? Looks like there's a lot of old ones.. Hard to say what kind of shape the blades will be in though...
I want to touch and hold them. So many I have seen the blade is damaged to the point I would have to grind them to restore them.

My gf has a set of 20 year old Old Hickory knives. The butchers knife is great to use. When I started dating her, they needed sharpening bad. Once sharpened they are great to use.

I also have a 7in santoku that I use for veggies and light work. The Old Hickory butchers knife gets used for most heavy/dense work.

I do have a 8in Victorinox Chef's knife that I use if the gf is using her Old Hickory. Also have a 6in victorinox boning knife for meat trimming, and a Victorinox 12in slicer for briskets and roasts.

Not sure how many of you follow Kenji from Serious Eats but, he just did a review on a very affordable knife that he says is out-performing a lot of his much more expensive knives. It's currently on a kickstarter project and the premise is simple knife, simple design great quality. Here is the link to the review:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/best-cheap-chefs-knives-misen-equipment-review.html

And here is a link to the Kickstarter Campain... I am already a backer, excited to see what it's like!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/118233123/misen-cook-sharp

So tempted right now... :decision:

I have Victorinox set I use in the kitchen. I like how sharp they stay, and how easy it is to hone them, but they are workhorse knives as mentioned. I got mine on lightning deal a year or so ago. I couldn't beat it for the prcie.

I always assumed they felt like they had to give an expensive and a cheap option.. I have the Masamoto and absolutely love it.. But yea, I agree.. That's a pretty silly result..

I don't know that there is such a thing as a cheap Gyuto. The basic design of the blade, with a long 15° edge requires a particular type of steel composition. They're just basically different designs.

This may be a little different than most,but I really like Rapala knives.Most models are inexpensive,well made,and hold an edge quit well.They also make kitchen knives under the brand name of Marttiini.I've never used this brand but would love to try them.I also agree with Ol Joe an old hickory is hard to beat.You can pick up used around the south at flea markets fairly cheap if you shop around.

I forgot to mention Old Hickory. Doesn't have the mud flaps like the other snob brands, but good functioning US made steel. I have two models 30+ year old models, and still fun to look at and to use. Made by a great US company. Don't let anyone blow up your schnitzel, you do not need anything more to cut BBQ. Remember, inexpensive is not cheap.
http://ontarioknife.com/cutlery

Shun Classic 8" Chef's knife is my one goto high quality blade. And I love it.

I've got some Henckels and some Bobby Flay branded knives that I use for other blades, but the Shun Chef's is the one that gets used for 90% of my cuts.

I forgot to mention Old Hickory. Doesn't have the mud flaps like the other snob brands, but good functioning US made steel. I have two models 30+ year old models, and still fun to look at and to use. Made by a great US company. Don't let anyone blow up your schnitzel, you do not need anything more to cut BBQ. Remember, inexpensive is not cheap.
http://ontarioknife.com/cutlery

Mud flaps?

Even the Shun knives have draw backs (besides the incredible price tag). Have read many reviews of the high end jap steel not being a good choice for bone in meats as the edge is very brittle. I have lost count how many times the victorinox has been mentioned but it is my go to for most every kitchen need. I use it until its dull then start with either the 600 grit or 1000 and finish with a 3000 grit ceramic stone. Holds a good edge and for a cheap knife... cant complain a bit

Back