My dream Lonestar Grillz trailer

Running without stoker fan and only one intake open. Exhaust all the way open, slow climb to 190F in 1.5 hours.

Once it hits 190, I reduce intake down to a pencil width. It climbs to 200 and coasts.

At 2hours 15 minute mark I opened the ball valve all the way again to get it to climb up

At 3 hours 15 minute mark, it hits 230. Good enough climb for now since I don't want to go too high on my initial seasoning round, so I reduce the ball valve back down to pencil widh again to see if it goes back to 200, it coasts at 220 for awhile and it slowly goes back to 200.

e24174eb5123900c0aa8fad3036fee25.jpg

Unit in the X-axis is minutes.

Went to bed.

Woke up at 11 hour mark, and it's still going!! At 200ish.

244dcbd0d924ef057b4f4da2edeaa70a.jpg

All on that initial 12 lb bag of coal and chunks. This pit will be my ticket to not losing sleep and fuel savings.

Last edited:
19.5 hours from initial burn, pit is still at 212F with this much fuel left:

This is getting to be ridiculously good!! Granted I was only running it at 200F, but 19.5 hours in with only 12lbs of charcoal???

So, I got hungry, and went ahead and injected a chicken with Butcher bbq Rotissetie injection, rubbed with Lawry's and McCormick Rotisserie seasoning. Gonna smoke it for awhile to use up the remaining charcoal and wood, then finish on the TBE

Wife and I will be there around 4 o'clock for pre dinner cocktails. What are we having with the chicken?:wink:

After a couple of hours in the pit running at 290ish, chicken got finished in the TBE for crisping. Love the crisp / smoky combination.

TBE makes crispy and juicy chickens

23 hours in, no additional fuel, PIT IS AT 281!!!

The smoke flavor on the chicken is nice and pronounced. I'm officially in love with this pit!! I really don't know how Chris Goodlander did it, but if you want a set it and forget it pit that taste close to a stickburner, look no further. This has that same taste like food coming from my LSG Square smoker.

Congratulations on the new smoker. I know it's not as glorious as a new trailer but your one step closer. Looking forward to seeing more cooks from that bad boy.

that is awesome with 12LBS of charcoal. it will be a little different with 100LBS of meat.:becky:

26 hours after initial burn of 12lbs of charcoal, still hovering 200F.
Cold rain on the smoker too. Mind officially blown.

That's some awesome performance right there!!! Wow. 28 hours and still rolling above 200 and with some rain on the unit. That's rocking. Congratulations on the new toy.

Now I know how much coal to put if I want to do a single naked fatty low and slow for 28 hours :-D

Yep. But 26 some hours is crazy right? If I can get 12 hours with fully loaded pit, it'll still be great.

more than crazy! you should get better than 1LB/hour. once the metal heats up it doesn't take much to keep it there. that 12LBS of charcoal looks like 2LBS in that big charcoal basket.:laugh:

Totally stoked to hear that Haniel. I may have to get away from filling the basket like I do with my WSM.

I didn't see, did you use water? I don't plan to when I get mine. Need suggestions for what to put in the pan. On my WSM, I have a Terra Cotta planter base. Wonder if I need anything since this is insulated.

Yeah, one day all our dreams will come true. :mrgreen: My day will be in March.

No water, and I plugged the water hole up top with foil to reduce leakage.

I run this cooker like my square smoker, which in a way is like a prototype to the VIS with both of them bring vertical with firebox underneath and heat goes in around a water pan or diverter. The VIS just perfects that design.

There's a reason they don't sell the square smoker anymore. Too much leaking around the hinging non flanged clamshell lid, thin stainless only lid on top loses a little too much radiant heat.

On the VIS, I capped the second intake and just used ball valve. Took 1.5 hours to slowly get up to temp, I opened all the way till 190, closed it down to pencil width to stop at 200, let it settle, then open it back up to climb to 240, then closed it to 2/3 opening and it settled at 290.

Eventually I'll hook my Stoker fan to it to pin it down.

IMPORTANT: Compare how high my coals were stacked in the first set of pics and where it ended up after 18 hours? To get temp back up, I reraked it to pile higher again. It's gotta be up near top of wall. Having bricks help wall em up.

Totally stoked to hear that Haniel. I may have to get away from filling the basket like I do with my WSM.

I didn't see, did you use water? I don't plan to when I get mine. Need suggestions for what to put in the pan. On my WSM, I have a Terra Cotta planter base. Wonder if I need anything since this is insulated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Haniel. I ordered an extra ball valve with mine so I can open both to bring it up to temp or to alternate where the airflow is coming from. Might not be needed, but I wanted the option.

Back