My attempt at Popdaddy's Soulbread...

Hunterman95

is one Smokin' Farker
Gave Popdaddy's soulbread a try. Had trouble interpreting the recipe, and I'm pretty sure I ended up with twice as much butter as I should, but it was still good!
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMzEwLTAwMTAwLmpwZw.jpg

Served it up with some grilled chicken breasts seasoned with SM Season-All. Also very good.
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMzEwLTAwMTAxLmpwZw.jpg

Extra butter is usually something I don't see as a problem. Looks good - I may be trying that this weekend.

Don't really see a problem with cornbread and too much butter; looks good from here :thumb:. And I'll agree, the yard bird looks like a nice compliment :clap2:.

Having to sit down and interpret the recipe is the reason I haven't tried this yet. Does anyone have it written down for those of us who are lacking in the funk department? :doh:

Having to sit down and interpret the recipe is the reason I haven't tried this yet. Does anyone have it written down for those of us who are lacking in the funk department? :doh:

If someone will convert it to Southern Rock I will translate it back to English for you.

This stuff looks great. Could someone please post the recipe as I had the same issue Hunterman did figuring it out?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

If you haven't already, you need to watch Popdaddy's tutorial on how to make his Soulbread.
//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Y3XBsbwI8

Here's what I got out of it, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

2TBS of olive oil
1/3 C butter (although in the video it looks more like 2TBS, which could be how I got too much butter)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
toast garlic, but don't burn
remove garlic
add 2 red onions, thinly sliced (my onions were really big, so I only did 1-1/2)
add a dash of Montreal seasonong
add garlic back on top
Don't stir

meanwhile, in a bowl, mix 2 boxes of Jiffy corn mix per instructions on the box,
add 1/2 TBS coarse ground pepper & 1 tsp Red Pepper flakes

after the onion has simmered for 10 min, stir only once, then lower temp and simmer 5 more min.

add 1/3 of corn batter to onions & mix well
add rest of batter on top (don't mix)

Bake at 400* for 15-20min. (per Jiffy box)

In saucepan, melt 2/3 C. butter, 1/4 C. heavy cream (or 1/2 & 1/2), and 2 "scoops" of sugar (looks like about a 1/4C scoop he's using, so I did approx. 1/2C.)
Heat until sugar is disolved.

poke your holes in the cornbread and drizzle butter/cream/sugar mixture over top.

Once handle is cool enough to hold, place plate on top and flip over.

My apologies to Popdaddy, if I screwed up his recipe, but it was still good.

Yo Hunterman95...just watched the video. Thanks for posting it. From what I see you got the recipe correct. I printed it out and followed along with your translation. Can not wait to give this a try.

I woudl add... the more you can get those onions to carmalize (this is why we do NOT move them--- kind of why you don't move the onions at all when you make a good French Onion Soup) the happier you will be.

So the done time on the onions is just so I put something in there. In fact.... I would simmer them MUCH longer than the 5 minutes. I have made this bread with Red Onion slices all the way up the side of that skillet and reduced them to only an half an inch or less.

Maybe I didn't have too much onion after all. I sliced up two big onions & it looked like there wasn't going to be enough room for the cornbread, so I took some out. I'll just simmer them longer next time. Thanks for the help!

I am lucky. Whenever I get a hankering for Soulbread, I guess I'll head south. Pitmaster T made a batch of Soulbread for the Schutte Family and only one Schutte consumed....GOOD STUFF.

I've made it a couple of times so far, I love it! The second time I added some Makers Mark to the Rick Astley and it was a big hit. Here's a pic of my first one.

Attachments

• soulbread.jpg
    soulbread.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 28
Back