Mutton Biryani in the 505

Time to get the rice going. Using long grain Basmati.

Soaked for about 20 minutes.

Got the spices together beforehand.

Got some salted water boiling, then boiled the spices, some ghee, and some garlic & ginger paste for about 3 minutes before adding the rice.

Never put so much in the water to flavor the rice before. I dig it.

Attachments

• IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 61
Wow. That's legit.

Rice cooked for about 12 minutes... only looking for 75-80% done, as it will finish when we combine with the mutton in the final pot.

Rice cooling in a big, rather shallow bowl... the aroma is filling the kitchen, and it's fantastic.

It's almost like these folks know what they're doing with these recipes! :roll:

Mutton's pressure cooker experience is waiting on the natural release so I can confirm it's been cooked long enough.

Attachments

• IMG_1561.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 58
First run through the Instant Pot looks good, but it's going to take significantly more.

TlaBvgJl.jpg

15 Min again, this time at high, with a natural release.

Checking for doneness each time.

No pressure. Instant Pot finally done.

2zjoG38l.jpg

Time to layer up the pot and give it a final cook.

Mutton & gravy on bottom, rice, cilantro & fried onions w/ ghee.

0JktFoIl.jpg

Repeat.

Add saffron strands in milk for a little flavor / yellow color.

lCBXzXXl.jpg

Cover with foil, then the lid.

7 min on high flame.

7 min on low flame.

Oh, hell, yes.

First - For those who've dabbled with Indian before - This is Northern Indian Royal cooking... much more delicate flavors and aromas vs. (what I usually make) of rich and spicy "curry" that the Brits came to love.

FjLF56Tl.jpg

B7wy3gel.jpg

zBqoiPYl.jpg

Everything is very aromatic - the smell is a huge part of the dish.

My kid can't get enough of it. She's on a second helping!

CINCHOUSE is also a big fan.

Complex flavors. Very savoury. Nothing big and spicy.

Highly recommended. Maybe a little complex for someone getting into Indian... but pretty "low threat" if you're nervous about the spice/heat.

I need something with a bit of a twang tomorrow. Thus, I threw some rib tips in with some Grace Jamaican Jerk.

5dR6dRHl.jpg

Looks great, Marc! Not a fan of hot Indian food anymore and that sounds perfect.

Side note: My OTB Italian FIL was a character. Use to bring a goat head to the family 4th of July picnics at a local park. One of us would put it in one of the Webers we brought.

He and my MIL had a home here in Troy and a condo in Carlsbad, CA. They traveled back and forth quite often. Rented the Troy home out to some young women (friends of my SIL) with the understanding FIL & MIL would be there too when in town.

He bought a goat head (no idea where he got them) one trip back, put it in the freezer, and went back to CA for a few weeks. One of the young women later open the freezer to see the goat head in a clear plastic bag and freaked. She called our house first since we lived pretty close, damn near hysterical. Went over there to calm her down but couldn't help laughing at how FIL had positioned the head to be sorta looking at anyone opening the door lol!

Bravo on the epic biryani cook, a time consuming process, but SO worth it! Thanks as always for sharing all that you do with us, Marc.

And, one other thing:

3SLbgkv.jpg

:mrgreen:

That looks nicely done! I’ve grabbed some goat meat from a local shop a few times, and have had trouble getting it to be anything but tough as an old boot...but that was before I had my IP. May have to pick some up again.

Back