THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks for the nudge over the edge. Upon examining the Amount of knives I have that need sharpening and after talking to a few of my cookoff buddies, they need someone to sharpen theirs also, so I pulled the trigger on the Wicked Edge pro pack 2. @$699 it seemed steep at first, but then got to thinking I could pay for it in a few months of just little side jobs. Really a neat system.

Wow they must charge a lot for sharpening by you! Here the going rate is around $1 per inch and they'll come pick them up and drop them off.

I have a slew of Henckels knives and I just use a regular Henckels ceramic pull through sharpener and a honing steel. I finally broke down and had the set we had given to us when we got engaged in 98 professionally sharpened last year. They were due and while I noticed a bit of a difference, it wasn't a big one but nobody has ever accused me of having dull knives.

I would recommend talking to whoever you have sharpen them for you, not all are created equally and around here there are plenty of places that advertise knife sharpening that bought a machine and don't have a clue. I've heard more than one horror story about a CIA student taking their pride and joy Japanese sushi knife to be "professionally" sharpened only to have it ruined.

I was gonna do the same thing, $1/" the shun is a 16degree angle. That is exactly why I want to learn to do it myself, Because I usually just trust myself. I haven't ever had my knifes sharpened. I take pretty good care of them. They have edge guards and are in drawers, never cut without a good wood board.

Well, if folks have multiple knives to sharpen at $1 per inch, it could be paid off pretty quickly.

Personally, I use Hammerstahl knives. They work for me.

I believe that with PEtec, Wusthof currently recommends that most of their knives be sharpened to 14°. This is a departure from their previous sharpening routine of a convex 19°-20° which put more blade behind the cutting edge. I am definitely no expert, but I am thinking that the ideal home sharpen might be a double edge changing from 20° to 14° to get the best of both worlds. On the other hand, Mike's done a lot of research into the ideal sharpening angle of a brisket slicer, so I'm prone to trust his judgement.

dmp

I believe that with PEtec, Wusthof currently recommends that most of their knives be sharpened to 14°. This is a departure from their previous sharpening routine of a convex 19°-20° which put more blade behind the cutting edge. I am definitely no expert, but I am thinking that the ideal home sharpen might be a double edge changing from 20° to 14° to get the best of both worlds. On the other hand, Mike's done a lot of research into the ideal sharpening angle of a brisket slicer, so I'm prone to trust his judgement.

dmp
Wusthof is now offering a dual angle pull through sharpener for their Euro and Asian PEtec blades. The big slicer should be used in the Asian blade slot.

Back