Mr. Twister vs cuisinart cek-40

Thanks for the nudge over the edge. Upon examining the Amount of knives I have that need sharpening and after talking to a few of my cookoff buddies, they need someone to sharpen theirs also, so I pulled the trigger on the Wicked Edge pro pack 2. @$699 it seemed steep at first, but then got to thinking I could pay for it in a few months of just little side jobs. Really a neat system.

Wow they must charge a lot for sharpening by you! Here the going rate is around $1 per inch and they'll come pick them up and drop them off.

I have a slew of Henckels knives and I just use a regular Henckels ceramic pull through sharpener and a honing steel. I finally broke down and had the set we had given to us when we got engaged in 98 professionally sharpened last year. They were due and while I noticed a bit of a difference, it wasn't a big one but nobody has ever accused me of having dull knives.

I would recommend talking to whoever you have sharpen them for you, not all are created equally and around here there are plenty of places that advertise knife sharpening that bought a machine and don't have a clue. I've heard more than one horror story about a CIA student taking their pride and joy Japanese sushi knife to be "professionally" sharpened only to have it ruined.

I was gonna do the same thing, $1/" the shun is a 16degree angle. That is exactly why I want to learn to do it myself, Because I usually just trust myself. I haven't ever had my knifes sharpened. I take pretty good care of them. They have edge guards and are in drawers, never cut without a good wood board.

Well, if folks have multiple knives to sharpen at $1 per inch, it could be paid off pretty quickly.

Personally, I use Hammerstahl knives. They work for me.

I believe that with PEtec, Wusthof currently recommends that most of their knives be sharpened to 14°. This is a departure from their previous sharpening routine of a convex 19°-20° which put more blade behind the cutting edge. I am definitely no expert, but I am thinking that the ideal home sharpen might be a double edge changing from 20° to 14° to get the best of both worlds. On the other hand, Mike's done a lot of research into the ideal sharpening angle of a brisket slicer, so I'm prone to trust his judgement.

dmp

I believe that with PEtec, Wusthof currently recommends that most of their knives be sharpened to 14°. This is a departure from their previous sharpening routine of a convex 19°-20° which put more blade behind the cutting edge. I am definitely no expert, but I am thinking that the ideal home sharpen might be a double edge changing from 20° to 14° to get the best of both worlds. On the other hand, Mike's done a lot of research into the ideal sharpening angle of a brisket slicer, so I'm prone to trust his judgement.

dmp
Wusthof is now offering a dual angle pull through sharpener for their Euro and Asian PEtec blades. The big slicer should be used in the Asian blade slot.

Back