Money muscle size and rub layers for ribs

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
Our team did our first practice this past weekend for our first sanctioned competition. We noticed the money muscles were much smaller than originally anticipated. Just wondering what is the size that most of your money muscles run for comps?

Also, how many different layers of rubs do your teams apply to ribs for a contest? Thanks in advance.

Depends on how good you get at picking out the money muscles in the cryovacs :p

We've had all sizes of money muscles over the years but one thing is consistent, if the tenderness and flavor is on we get calls. If it's not, we don't get calls. A judge would rather have a small medallion that is flavorful and tender than a large one that's bland and tough.

As for rubs, I've seen anywhere from 1-3 layers of rubs from all the classes we've taken and teams I've talked to. It's less about the layers and more about the finished flavor you're after.

You're looking for a balance of sweet, heat, salty, smoky (from wood not rub), and tangy. It's so hard to explain that via a forum. If you've ever tasted championship BBQ you'll know right away what that balance of flavor is. It's sublime.

Any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll share what little I know :p

Back