Comp Meat Freezing/Thawing Question

masque13

is one Smokin' Farker
hello folks!

in the past when going to comps, my partner and I would wait until a day or so before leaving for said comp and picking up our ribs and butts and chicken to ensure the freshest meat possible.

sometimes that worked just fine and other times horrible....butts with non-existent money muscles etc.

so, we are hitting our first KCBS comp of the season next week. so to avoid running into quality meat acquisition issues, I went ahead over the last month and bought butts and ribs that I really liked the way they looked.

they are in my freezer now.

I'm used to thawing out my SRF briskets in time to thaw and trim with a good schedule prior to the comp. However, I've not really done that with spare ribs and butts.

If I want to be able to trim Thursday night or possibly even Wednesday night, when would you guys suggest placing the butts and ribs in the fridge to begin the thawing process to be able to trim them by that time?

Butts are between 9-10 pounds and the spares are between 5-6 pounds.

thanks in advance for your time!

My briskets and butts go into the fridge the saturday before the comp. Be sure to arrange on top for air flow around and not stack up. Chicken and ribs will thaw in 2 days.

This ^^^^^

But, I have been buying butts and ribs when I see good ones and trimming them, then freezing. Then I just take them out on Wednesday or Thursday to thaw and they are ready to go.

Invest in a vacuum sealer. I buy when I see good stuff at a good price and trim and then seal. All you have to do come comp time is thaw it out!

Back