Mojo Criollo

thirdeye said:
Well, after reading these posts, I'm going to have to try longer marinade times. I was always afraid that the citrus would have a mushy effect....

I have about 5 bottles of the sour orange frozen.
------------------------------

Ok, but I need time for some other pursuits .... how about this instead ??

http://www.worldharbors.com/product/cuban.php

Hey! ... don't read below the line!! :eek::biggrin:

Tom B

I've tried the Jerk Marinade and I liked it. Probably get 3 times more of the Goya for the price of World Harbors but if its all you got at hand they make a good product. On the Goya bottle it says to marinade the longer the better.

Well finally used it. Went to costco got some chops, bagged most and cut up a few into chunks. Marinated them in Mojo Criollo in vacuum canister. Skewered and grilled with asparagus spears. Tasted great! On the keeper list for Quick after work grill meals.

I use goya to marinate my carne asada for taco partys, It works pretty well when used overnight:-D

You guys are killin me. My to-cook list is growing exponentially! Too much work...too little cook time. Wonder if I could bring my WSM to work and set it up out in the smokin area where EVERYONE else hangs out!

There is a cuban dish called boliche asado (I think) that I have been making for several years. Basically it is an eye of the round roast stuffed with chorizo, ham, onions and bell peppers. Then you marinate it in Mojo. Cook that bad boy slowly in a dutch oven with a can of tomatoes and reduce the sauce for dipping.... MMMMmmmm good.

Smokin Gator said:
There is a cuban dish called boliche asado (I think) that I have been making for several years. Basically it is an eye of the round roast stuffed with chorizo, ham, onions and bell peppers. Then you marinate it in Mojo. Cook that bad boy slowly in a dutch oven with a can of tomatoes and reduce the sauce for dipping.... MMMMmmmm good.
------------------------------------------------------------

That just sounds farkin' delicious, stupendous, outstanding !!! Sure would like to see some portions and a pic or two ! :cool:

Tom B

Q_Egg said:
------------------------------------------------------------

That just sounds farkin' delicious, stupendous, outstanding !!! Sure would like to see some portions and a pic or two ! :cool:

Tom B

Q-Egg,

I don't have any pics of that particular dish but here is what I do to make it:

CUBAN STYLE BEEF ROAST - Boliche Asado

6 lb. eye of round roast, trimmed
1/2 lb. chorizo sausage, casing removed and coarsely chopped
1/2 lb. lean ham, chopped
2 slices bacon, very finely chopped
2 large onions, peeled, ends discarded, chopped coarsely
4 cloves garlic, peeled, mashed and finely minced
1/4 cup cilantro - coarsely chopped
1 large green pepper, both ends discarded, seeded, pith
removed and sliced
1 cup celery, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon Accent
1 bottle of mojo marinade
6 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup good very dry red wine
2 tablespoons parsley, stems removed, finely chopped
5 fresh bay leaves
3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can stewed tomatoes
4' Butchers Twine

Cut a deep pocket lengthwise along the center of beef, leaving both ends uncut. Mix chorizo, salt, pepper, ham, bacon, garlic, and cilantro completely, with one of the onions. Stuff the pocket tightly with the mixture. Tie stuffed roast closed, tightly.
Mix mojo, pepper, onion, celery, bay leaves, parsley and peppers. Pour mixture over roast and marinate in a zip-lock type bag 12-24 hours, turning from time to time.

After marinating, brown roast in olive oil on all sides, in a heavy very hot pan. De-glaze pan with wine, marinating liquid and tomatoes. Add in the Accent. Place browned roast in Dutch oven. Add wine and marinating liquid from de-glazed pan. Cook over low heat 8 hours. Remove and discard bay leaves. Put the sauce in blender and pulse until only bits of onion are visible and serve broth with the stuffed roast.

Serve with yellow rice, black beans, and very ripe fried plantains!!!

Smokin Gator said:
Q-Egg,

I don't have any pics of that particular dish but here is what I do to make it:

CUBAN STYLE BEEF ROAST - Boliche Asado ................... (edit)
------------------------

Many, many thanks for the great detail. Saved it for a try very soon !!

Regards,
Tom B

Back