Moded Treager BBQ

DudleyDoRight

Found some matches.
Been a member a while and have got some great tips that have greatly enhanced my BBq skills. The recipies have been wonderfull.

A few years ago my Temp Controller on the Treager tanked at the holidays and I was doing the Ham. I'm a controls guys so I adapted a used PLC I had in the shop and wired it in. a few hours later we were smokin Hams.

That started me down the road of modifications. I'm posting this too show folks what ive done and to see if anyone has suggestions on what they would do or features in the controller that they thought would be helpful. Currently this is on a Pellet Unit but I've considered adopting different fan control and could easily mod a UDS I've considered building

Here's what I've done
Its a US made model, I sanded it down and repainted.
Ceramic bricks
Down draft hood
Hopper extension
Made a smoke daddy unit. I've since pulled it off.

Electrical
Added a new PLC Controller with custom program (notes below)
HMI touch screen
Android interface to touch screen.
Added fan controllers, for three fan control speeds. Smoke, Med, Hi.
Sonic sensor, Measures the level of pellets in the hopper.
Multiple RTD temp sensors one under the grill near the fire pot,

Program Offers
Pre-programmed start time. You can tell it to start up at X o'clock get to temp and hold
Remote start. I can fire it up at the office.
System recipes. You can choose chicken, pork etc. so the sensor know what temps to look for. You also choose Brisket, pulled
pork, chicken, Ribs etc.
Multiple temperature control; Smoke XX time, Cook XX Time, Food temp set point, warm mode.
Auto smoke / fan control
PID temp control
Two system temp RTD;s one under the grill near fire pot , one in the grill.
Two Food temperatures RTD's.
Grill temp recover. Knows when door was opened waits for temp to stabilize and brings back up.

Alarm mode
Text updates; sent to my cell indicating the following items.
Low pellet sensor 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and empty.
Food probe sensors probe A & B in 1/2 hour increments or increase in food time at 10 degree increments.
Prep times. synced to recipes like 3,2,1, ribs etc.
Temperature fluctuations; if system over or under temps too long.

I can choose to turn these on and off. So I can set some pulled pork or brisket, and head off to bed. pick it up in the late morning. If there's a problem the alarm can wake me. I can also set a cook and head off to the hardware store.

So any suggestions?

That's awesome! But I'd say it's time to update the year... :caked:

Wow, talk about overkill, I like it a lot. I know I have a couple PLC's around here someplace.

Mike..... Yes I get most folks don't have a PLC laying around. This controller was damaged at a clients, blown output. Some suppliers give you stuff to test with hence the sonic sensor.

It is a bit over the top. But that's what hobbies are for

So I get to cook some great BBQ, and satisfy my need for gadgets.

Wow that's some serious stuff going on there think I'll just stick to my Weber

Back