Mini UDS

Last edited:
The thread starter Mister Bob would be better to answer that. I've not made one of these, just offering a source for a pot. For reference, I've got a 32 quart Tamale steamer and it measures about 15.5 inches. I think you'll want something larger.

What size am I looking for?

Sorry to hi-jack the post. My explination has the best intentions. Your mini UDS is amazong and it would be perfect mor my dad.

My apologies

I made the Mini UDS from a 40 quart stainless stock pot. It's 14" diameter and about 15" high. The cooking grate from the Weber Smokey Joe is a little under 14", and you can find the Smokey Joe on sale for less than $30 new. The dome fits perfectly and I used the 10" charcoal grate too.

For extra cooking grids, I used charcoal grates for the 18.5" Weber Kettle. They measure just under 14" too. The're less than $10 each at Home Depot.

The intakes are 1/2" steel nipples, and that's a 1/2" ball valve on the front.
If anyone needs more detail than that, feel free to PM me.

Awesome Mister Bob!! I've got a smoker joe (tamale pot mod) that I use quite often to cook for my family of 7 (you can get a lot of grub in these little guys)!!

I've often thought of something like you just built. Yours is great!! :thumb: I'll be saving this thread for reference!

I made a fire basket out of the SJ charcoal grate and expanded metal...the ring is a little over 2" tall. I can get 60 briqs in there, and about a 5 hour burn time in my smoker.

Thanks for sharing!!

What size am I looking for?

Sorry to hi-jack the post. My explaination has the best intentions. Your mini UDS is amazing and it would be perfect for my dad.

My apologies

Check out the link to the bullet site. Lots of info on tamale steamer conversion...including some specifics on where to find pots (i got one from walmart).

I want a mini cajun bandit myself..but Im tempted just to make one out of a 15 gallon drum...I wish I could find that link to the grate height for that thing.:confused:

I have gotten all my 30 gallon barrels from gasoline distributors. They have clean unused ones usually you can buy from them.

i thought a "mini" uds was a 15 gallon drum? Maybe you just decided to use a bigger one at 30 gallon? I know there really is no "standard" for it but I just want to make sure If I do get a drum instead of the cajun bandit mini, that I get the right size that my smokey joe lid will fit on. I thought that was the 15 gallon size.. maybe Im wrong? dammit:confused:

The Mini Cajun Bandit RAWKS!

And its more versatile than the Mini BDS http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com/smokers.htm

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

Just sayin'

Back