Mid Missouri on board!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Wohlt

Knows what a fatty is.
Great opportunity on this board to really find out what is working and seeing great equipment.

I grew up with some older gents that always had the Q going. Lots of family events, etc. I am pretty much convinced that the only reason our gang learned to BBQ so good yet probably did not know what they were doing is this:

The longer the Q was on the pit the more beer the old farts could comsume...then they figured out if they basted it more often it would hold on the pit longer and not dry out...more beer could be consumed. Horseshoe pit was constantly going. NOW, had they dryed the meat out the old women would have had them in much earlier to eat...less beer consumed...buzz gone.

But they did end up with what we thought at the time was killer Q. We had one pit at the river that was a concrete basin (6 x 15') with two side grills. 100 pounds of coal and chicken and pork steaks. To flip you just put an additional grill on top made for this and filp it all at once. I was the the masterbaster. (watch it) But at least I got to hang out with the men...get a drink of beer once in a while when I ran for an uncle to get a beer and I got to hear most very dirty and colorful jokes...while my pansy a$$ brother was doing something stupid and never wanted to help.

My mom is still convinced Chicken takes 4-6 hours...not on a smoker but a PIT! I know I am not the one going to tell her any different because now I get to BBQ for them and drink a beer or two with my dad...now 83. He takes credit for my good BBQ and I certainly give him that honor. He now foil wraps ribs like I do, and I actually taught him something.

I think BBQ is subject to what one likes. Sweet, spicey, vinegary, etc. it's all good! But what you like and think is outstanding...some friends won't. I BBQ for myself and family much differnt than I would for a group that expects smokey, tender meat. I let them apply there own selection of my sauces.

So...at 45 and around some of the BEST BBQ in the country, not to mention several top end pit builders, I enjoy going all over and trying and seeing the equipment.

I see we have several from the Missouri area and I am proud to say I am a Missourian as well....SHOW ME THE Q!

Glad to be on here... headed up soon to meet Jay at Spicewine...30 miles from me....great group of builders.

Oh great... another MOFO :eek:

Just kidding, welocme, pull up a stump and take a load off...

(really, I was just kidding)

Welcome to the porch, Jeff. Kick of your boots and grab a cold one. And watch out for your brothers up in your neck of the woods. ;)

Arlin

I can tell already...this is going to be fun!

Yes, I answer to MOFO more often than I can count :)

Looking soon to buy a welder so I can begin creating some fun stuff for cooking.

Thanks for the welcome!!

Anybody that call's himself a "masterbaster" is welcome here!!!:wink:
Welcome to the club brother!:mrgreen:

yes, I was thinking something else with MOFO. Still...both work for me!

Just read the obit and tribute to KCquer (Scott Cook)...damn near brought tears to my eyes.

You guys are wonderful to recognize your fallen ones....true brothers.

Welcome Jeff, have you happend to see a 2 1/2' tall wooden kangaroo anywhere around there?
Post often and don't forget the pics, we like pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back