Cooking Class Melissa Cookston is Coming to Chicago in March (7 Category Class)

cmohr74

Full Fledged Farker
Hey everyone, I have GREAT News. We have another class that has come together in the Chicagoland area...Melissa Cookston of Yazoo Delta Q. This class is scheduled for March 21 & 22 2014 (Sat/Sun).

Melissa & Pete Cookston of Yazoo Delta Q have won:

• 2014 Memphis in May Whole Hog World Champion
  • 2012 Kingsford Invitational (winning 4 out of 5 categories against )
  • 2012 Memphis in May World Champion
  • 2012 Memphis in May Whole Hog World Champion
  • 2011 Memphis in May Whole Hog World Champion
  • 2011 - 11 First Places
  • 2010 -9 GC's & 29 First Places
  • 2010 Memphis in May World Champion
  • 2010 Memphis in May Whole Hog World Champion (notice this is the 4th time this is mentioned)
  • ...and the list goes on.
What I'm getting at is this opportunity does not present itself often if you want to know anything about whole hog and how to cook some stellar BBQ.

Go to http://www.yazoosdeltaq.com/2015-bbq-class

This is from her website
"...In my cooking schools I believe in teaching everything I do in a contest. I go over recipes for sauces and seasonings, meat prep, cooking techniques and the all-important finishing techniques. I cover Whole Hog, Whole Shoulder, Memphis-style Ribs, KCBS ribs, Pork Butts, Chicken and Brisket. We talk about timing, focus and amounts to cook. In short, bring your attention because I cover it all.

The class will begin at 9:00 am on Saturday, and wrap for the day around 7:00. Sunday will go from 9:00 until 3:00, or until all questions are answered.

Prices are $750 for the first person and $550 for each additional team member. Email me at yazoosdeltaq@yahoo.com for more info, or CLICK ON THE PIG to register now!

After registration, we will send you directions, local hotels, schedules and everything you need to enjoy a great BBQ filled weekend!"

Last edited by a moderator:
For any of you that have questions about the area, don't hesitate to ask. I have information on local hotels with pricing that will pick you up at the airport and drop you off at Cabelas in the morning, rental cars, limo service, and more.

This location is great for this. It comes with 4 flat screen TV's that will be hooked up above the table of where she is doing the work and display on all screens. It has a headset for them to wear which connects to surrounding speakers. The outside area has a 15-20 foot overhand in case the weather doesn't cooperate and more. I do not work for Cabelas, just happy with what they have to offer for a class such as this.

View attachment 104763

Last edited:
This class was the first class i ever completed when i started competition BBQ and I believe i attended the very first one at Melissa and Pete's house in Hernando. Very good class and i still use several of the techniques i learned to this date...

The classroom can accommodate 65 or so people comfortably. Not sure where numbers are, but this is why she chose to come here. It's set up for larger volume and no one will miss a beat with 4 flat screens showing all that is going on.

The TV monitor thing is actually a turn-off for me. If I spend that type of $$ on a class I want to be up close to the action. A class that can go to 65 seems too large for what I seek. But thats just me. Others may not care as much. Seeing Melissa work her magic has to be a treat for the BBQ enthusiast.

The TV monitor thing is actually a turn-off for me. If I spend that type of $$ on a class I want to be up close to the action. A class that can go to 65 seems too large for what I seek. But thats just me. Others may not care as much. Seeing Melissa work her magic has to be a treat for the BBQ enthusiast.

Joemat, I understand where you are coming from in this. First off, there is no guarantee that the class will grow to that size, but it is capable of holding that capacity. I have been to a class or 2 over the years and I will say that I understand both the student and the instructor need to be happy with the class size and how it's run. An instructor usually wants more than 25 because they don't do them often and want to maximize class size. Students want them smaller for the reasons you are asking.
One class I went to was 50+ students and there were no screens and it was complete chaos. They told everyone if they wanted to come up, please do so. Not long after that it seemed like no one sat down and everyone would push closer and closer and it made it hard to see what was going on. Eventually you had to share notes because you were missing things note wise trying to actually see what was going on. When I took Scottie's class, it was about 40-50 students, and you could come up and get a better look, but then sat back down out of respect of others. He had a visual screen that allowed everyone in the class to see everything he was doing. This was a well organized, well run class, with a lot of information like many other classes out there. Because the class could potentially reach 65, these 4 screens allow you to be up close without complete chaos. I've never been to a class, or heard of a class, that didn't allow the students to come up and see what the instructor was doing. The larger capacity is allowing a larger number of students that one opportunity to learn from someone such as herself. I hope the TV's don't steer you away, but add to the up close and personal experience.

for someone of Melissa's caliber to come up from Memphis area to do a class it has to be worth their while to make the trip. Im all about hands on myself but I understand there would be no incentive for her to come up for lets say 15 people. Kudos to Dan for getting something like this setup.

There is still room in this class!

Mod Note: Bumped this for you, Dan. All you had to do was check the little box acknowledging that is is an old thread.

Also Melissa has a new website at www.yazoosbbq.com Click on Ultimate Cooking School for more information about this class. I'm pumped to be given an opportunity to learn whole hog from a woman who has won Whole Hog World Champion 4 times. That in itself makes the class worth it.

Back