Meet, Grillzilla.

Thanks everyone! You can kinda see the intakes in the painted pic. I just used some regular home A/C vents. The exhaust vents will be added later. For now, I'll just keep the lid open and use a two zone fire. If I need to close the lid, I'll just use something to keep the lid cracked open a little. I thought about two separate lids, but it just seemed like one would be less work in the long run since I wouldn't need to work out how to make the supports and separators for two separate barrels. It will be broken in tomorrow and I'm guessing a couple bags of Kingsford should do the trick!

Aha! I see it now. Good idea!

I built one of these dual barrel cookers just like you are doing years ago and I lined the bottom with fire brick and then poured sand over the firebrick to seal the cracks and it lasted for years.

Oops! Forgot I had some pics left in the camera.
Cooking Station. Forecast was rain. Tunes. Camping Stove. Beer. Good times!
Mijos6thBday001.jpg

Party aint a party without some Charro Beans! Used the disc to cook up the bacon, chorizo, etc.
Mijos6thBday002.jpg

Theme.........MONSTER TRUCKS!!!!:thumb:
My son is a Maximum Destruction Fan. I go for Toro Loco!
Mijos6thBday007.jpg

The stuff you can order on line these days.....
Mijos6thBday008.jpg

Candy Swag Boxes!
Mijos6thBday009.jpg

Misc Pron.
Mijos6thBday011.jpg

Some quarters for those that don't dine on swine.....funny thing is, those that like swine, wanted more cheeken! Go figure.
Mijos6thBday013.jpg

Sliced, boneless butt marinaded in Al Pastor marinade. I bought a total of 6 butts sliced.......around 40lbs. Had about half left over. My freezer is happy! Some red jalaps for the brave ones!:mad2:
Mijos6thBday014.jpg

And yes, it rained a bit. But we had enough cover, beer and food that it didn't matter. Plus, the day started out at 100+ degrees, so it cooled off the day nicely.
Mijos6thBday015.jpg

Tell us more about the Tacos al Pastor sounds like a new one for me to try.

Oh yeh nice grill..party on!!

Yeah, it's a liner, but more of a spray paint than the PITA kinda liner. They were food grade and help OJ concentrate and still had the food labels on em. I'm not worried about the liner on the lid. It will be used with the lid open most of the time. Most of the liner on the bottom was taken care of with the pre-burn. The rest I will take care of with the weedburner or just load some wood in it and repaint the outside bottom. I know it's not the dreaded type of liner cause it peeled like paint. It didn't leave the powdery stuck on residue that the PITA liners leave behind. That's the other reason I didn't paint the bottom cause even the outside orange burned off a bit. I'm also going to give the inside top several seasonings with oil or lard so that it begins to form a coat over the paint or just might try some remover. It's still has a few stages to go through and some fine tuning, but it got the job done on his birthday. My BIL already wants me to cook the meat for his daughters Sweet 16!

I noticed on my drum the paint quickly wears out on the lid especially. Was wondering if anyone thought about maybe seasoning the outside to prevent rust? Or are you guys just spraying it down again with high temp paint?

Back