Meat tenderizer anyone

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm smoking a brisket this weekend and will have to get the brisket at another store (don't even know if they have packers much less for a good price)

They have butcher paper which I'm out and also have meat tenderizers (jaccard). After much research I really think a slather thin enough can absorb into the holes and using 50/50 kosher salt and course black pepper conservatively from a shaker I have.

I was thinking Frank's red hot sauce. it's thin, has simple ingredients and the vinegar/cayenne in it should be in interesting flavor. I use it for hot wings and fried chicken and dipping. Or should I go for Worchester sauce (L&Ps) and also have some Dale's seasoning which is similar to Moore's and similar to Worchester except has different ingredients like a fruit in it and needs to be refrigerated.

Any thoughts on using a tenderizer or is it a waste? Thanks.

I only use smoke, heat, and time to tenderize brisket.

I have been known to have round-steak tenderized for Sicilian steak, or use a tenderizing marinade for london broil.

I've heard of folks putting rub on a brisket then use the jaccard to get the rub down into the meat for flavor, but like the fine cook said before me, a properly cooked brisket will be tender on it's own.

Nothing wrong with experimenting though!

I like the Jaccard on certain cuts of steak, but never used it on a brisket, and don't really see why you would need to. I don't think it would be as useful for getting a marinade to penetrate, as time. Just season the night before.

None of the stuff you listed I would put on a brisket. Salt and pepper at the least, Bolner's brisket rub for a little more flavor, then let that sucker smoke and cook till around 190 then start checking it for tenderness. Red butcher paper is optional and something I use myself after about 5-6 hours of smoke.

I jaccard a lot of stuff as well, but not my briskets for reasons already mentioned.

I'm using time, heat, smoke, steam etc. to get my brisket to the desired tenderness whereas if I was direct-heat cooking a lesser piece of meat that would benefit from a jaccard I would use it like flank steak for instance.

I do inject all of my briskets, but I also compete. I'm not sure I'd even inject if it weren't for my competition mindset.

Back