Maverick XR-50

LOL, yeah, like I said, Dave gave me some cash to edit up some video...and I'm also pulling for him to be successful with this as a friend, but I don't have any ongoing interest. Sorry if I came off as pushy. Just excited. I was doing the same thing last year when the Smoke came out.

I'll still use the Fireboard when I want to use the graphs or the temp controller. I really like the Fireboard. I just think it's in a different league price wise.

Last edited:
The only thing I wished would happen is some sort of data logger. Not necessarily something I can view in real time online, but just a basic data collection of all probes over each session would be nice. Something that I can plug an SD card or a USB flash drive into and plug my computer and view the data after my cook. I could be wrong but that kind of data logger (offline/no permanent memory) can't be terribly hard or expensive to implement. Just thought I'd toss it out there since you seem to have connections with the people with power.

The only thing I wished would happen is some sort of data logger. Not necessarily something I can view in real time online, but just a basic data collection of all probes over each session would be nice. Something that I can plug an SD card or a USB flash drive into and plug my computer and view the data after my cook. I could be wrong but that kind of data logger (offline/no permanent memory) can't be terribly hard or expensive to implement. Just thought I'd toss it out there since you seem to have connections with the people with power.

I'll mention it to him. It may be to niche of a request but who knows. lol

So for some reason my receiver unit seems to be going through batteries too fast. I'm sending it back to Dave and he's going to have Maverick look at it. My unit was preproduction and he thinks that may be the issue but I felt like I need to let you guys know that since I was the one on here promoting it so hard. I hope I get it back soon.

Last edited:
I'll mention it to him. It may be to niche of a request but who knows. lol

So for some reason my receiver unit seems to be going through batteries too fast. I'm sending it back to Dave and he's going to have Maverick look at it. My unit was preproduction and he thinks that may be the issue but I felt like I need to let you guys know that since I was the one on here promoting it so hard. I hope I get it back soon.

Did you ever get this thermometer back and if so, does it go through batteries at a slower rate?

I'm thinking of buying one to try out but not if it eats batteries. Thanks.

Wayne

Yeah, it's works great. It think it probably will go through batteries faster than the Smoke because it uses smaller batteries and is more powerful than the smoke, But when I say faster I mean batteries lasting for weeks and weeks instead of months and months if you never turn them off. Keep in mind though, I haven't tested it. However, the battery drain bug is identified and fixed.

They handled it like total professionals too. They scrapped their inventory, made all new therms, air flew some over the replacements (faster than the boat), ABC did their own set of tests, and THEN once they were convinced they were working, they sent out replacements to everyone who had purchased one with no action/cost required on the owners part. So people who ended up getting originals that didn't have the bug (not all were effected) now have 2...just to play it safe.

I like the way they make the best of a bad situation.

I was seriously thinking about getting one, right up until I watch a video that pointed out that all the controls and settings have to be done on the transmitter, not the receiver. Meaning, if you decide to change something in the settings, you have to go out to the smoker to do it.

I'm still debating whether or not that is a deal breaker for me.

I was seriously thinking about getting one, right up until I watch a video that pointed out that all the controls and settings have to be done on the transmitter, not the receiver. Meaning, if you decide to change something in the settings, you have to go out to the smoker to do it.

I'm still debating whether or not that is a deal breaker for me.

That would be my preference, to have changes made at the transmitter. All decisions that would require any changes, would be a direct result of observations made at the pit. Either the meat status, or the pit status. Don't know how I could properly change any of the variables without observing the meat or pit.

Maybe I am just not smart enough to make changes remotely:doh:

Last edited:
So I don't know if anyone is interested or not but the owner/inventor of the Slow N Sear is a friend of mine. He just came out with a new Maverick thermometer and a new version of his Slow N Sear. He flew in and we talked about the products and then I took a bunch of question from my facebook fans and he answered him. It's a long, but comprehensive review of both products.

I think the Slow N Sear is really cool, but the reason I'm focusing on the Maverick is because I think it will likely be in 2018 what the Thermoworks Smoke was in 2017...the main reason being that it's 20 bucks cheaper, has a 500 foot range, and has 4 probes. Full disclosure. Dave sponsored this video but I don't have any financial interest in the products we talked about. I just point the camera at people. It's a long video. If you want to skip around by topic, there is a table of contents in the description box. Personally, before I used it i probably would not have upgraded from my Smoke which I've been pretty happy with, but now that I have it I would. 4 probes for 80 bucks is really nice.

https://youtu.be/yRKsTjvn72I

Mine comes tomorrow! Can't wait. I ordered one immediately after watching your video last Thursday. I had just had a "end all be all" thermometer to end all thermometers fail for me from the get-go and was in the mood for a no wifi no bluetooth option with great range. I just want something simple that works through the walls of my house. And four probes for $80 free ship (plus a $10 off sale at the time)? It was perfect timing and I was all over it.

For those who don't know him, Justin (Baby Back Maniac) is 100% above board. He gives a lot of his time to the BBQ community behind the scenes and I believe him when he says he has no stake in the ongoing success of the product. He has helped me personally and never asked for a dime. Watch the video. Justin asks the designer hard questions from fans, and neither of them are pulling any punches.

Once I get mine I'll be doing a full review on it, but whether I love the product or not, Justin is a good guy trying to help out his friend with what seems like a great new product in its class.

Maverick ET 732 was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent in BBQ. Absolute POS and Maverick's only solution to any problem was to buy more probes. They burned that bridge with me years ago and I'll never purchase another product they peddle.

I also highly doubt anything built by Maverick will ever compare to the quality and durability of something made by Thermoworks, and especially so at comparable price points.

I've had a maverick for probably 15 years. I went through a few probes before I learned how to clean them, and not to smash them with heavy lids, but the thing still works like it did when it was new, and have been using the same probes for many years now. Not sure why anyone, would come out with a non wifi or bluetooth thermo at this stage in the game though. But if that is what I wanted, I wouldn't think twice about buying another.

Mine comes tomorrow! Can't wait. I ordered one immediately after watching your video last Thursday. I had just had a "end all be all" thermometer to end all thermometers fail for me from the get-go and was in the mood for a no wifi no bluetooth option with great range. I just want something simple that works through the walls of my house. And four probes for $80 free ship (plus a $10 off sale at the time)? It was perfect timing and I was all over it.

For those who don't know him, Justin (Baby Back Maniac) is 100% above board. He gives a lot of his time to the BBQ community behind the scenes and I believe him when he says he has no stake in the ongoing success of the product. He has helped me personally and never asked for a dime. Watch the video. Justin asks the designer hard questions from fans, and neither of them are pulling any punches.

Once I get mine I'll be doing a full review on it, but whether I love the product or not, Justin is a good guy trying to help out his friend with what seems like a great new product in its class.

Aw, thanks man. I really needed that today. :)

Small correction: $80 was the discounted price. Normally $90. Originally I said it was $80 with $10 discount on top of that. I misremembered. My bad on that. Still a great deal for four probes, rainproof, 500 feet, magnet/kickstand/hook, yada yada yada.

I’m a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I started out with a Maverick. Upgraded to a Smoke. Night and day in terms of quality. And most importantly, ThermoWorks products are accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for another very informative video Justin. I did watch it in it's entirety and enjoyed it. That reminds me, I will go back and thank it on youtube as I'm already subscribed. Please keep them coming!

Back