THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

boatnut

is Blowin Smoke!
I'd like to start smoking more of my sausage. A lot of recipes i have tell you to start out at 120 for an hour then slowly bring it up but usually no more then 170 degrees. I've been looking at the Masterbuilt electric smoker that Cabela's carries.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...t=all&Go.y=0&_D:hasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&
_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Says it will go down to 100 degrees. Anyone own one of these? Main reason that i'm looking at this one is , I have plenty of "points" built up thru my Cabela's Visa so it wouldn't really cost me anything. Also being electric, it would not require a lot of attending.

Any thoughts?

Yes I have one… I love the little dude… it makes some of the best deer jerky you will ever have… I landed mine at Lowes that was miss prices… uses very little wood chips and I have even put few K/F coals in it… for what I can see it is very easy for the beginner on up and I think it would be great for those who may have a hangover.
I think the little guy may surprise you

I've had one for about 4 years, I use it a lot. I have made a few mods to it. Things the newer one already have.............you are absolutely correct about being able to set it and forget it, mine holds temperature very good. The longest cook it I've done was 24 hours of brisket, chicken, butts, sausage. I have cold smoked cheese, it was really good and I also did some Roma tomatoes for salsa that was to die for, careful on that, it only takes about 20 minutes for them to absorb enough smoke flavor.

My wife found one last summer at a Goodwill store, brand new in the box for $85. It's a nice little smoker. The instructions with it says to use chips but the box will hold fairly large pieces of wood. I smoked some cheese and found that 100 wasn't hot enough to ignite the pecan wood so I kept cranking up the heat until it lit then turned it down to 100. My daughter in law recently got one because she loves my BBQ and wanted to start doing it herself. She loves it.

My wife found one last summer at a Goodwill store, brand new in the box for $85. It's a nice little smoker. The instructions with it says to use chips but the box will hold fairly large pieces of wood. I smoked some cheese and found that 100 wasn't hot enough to ignite the pecan wood so I kept cranking up the heat until it lit then turned it down to 100. My daughter in law recently got one because she loves my BBQ and wanted to start doing it herself. She loves it.

Right, the cooler the better for cheese....I don't have a variable heat control on my Big Chief, so at the beginning of a cheese smoke, I'll help the iginition of splits with a very short blast of the MAPP torch. I still have some chips mixed in. In the summer, once it goes over 100°, I just unplug it for 10 minutes or so.