THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It is the way they cook it, steaming does it. I can't find the recipe now, maybe it is in Rhulman's book but here is the process:

1. Corn the brisket with your favorite corning solution.
2. Remove from corning solution and coat with a layer of cracked coriander and black pepper.
3. Smoke at a low temperature until the brisket reaches 150 internal temp. It will be a mahogany color at this point.
4. Preheat your oven to 275-300 degrees. Elevate the brisket, I used an upside down muffin pan, in an oven safe pot with lid, add some water and bring to a boil on the stovetop.
5. Once boiling, place in oven until probe tender. 3-5 hours depending how accurate your oven holds such a low temp.

You will not believe your eyes, the pastrami will be as black as midnight. The steaming also pulls a ton of salt out of the meat, so if it is really salty going in, it will balance itself out.

Chris

I use my PC to basicly do the same thing, but it never gets pitch black.

Back