THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
I've made Limoncello, Arancello, and a variety of other liqueurs and cordials for several years. I love to share it and enjoy simple conversation while enjoying the ice-cold liqueur with friends.

I was recently asked to teach a class on making Limoncello as a fundraiser for a local VFW. Before I responded back they already had many people signed up for the class. I had to impose a maximum limit of 24 people, in order to give each person the individual attention needed to make a great product for the holidays.

We started on October 10th to discuss sterilization and proper sanitation in the process. Then we moved on to selecting and peeling the citrus.

enhance

enhance

Orange zest on the left, lemon zest on the right
enhance

Added the Everclear

enhance

Let sit for 30 days to extract the flavoring.

They added simple syrup last night, and now for the mellowing stage. I'll make last minute flavor adjustments for them and bottle it next week.

Each of the 24 individuals in the class used a 64 oz jar (half gallon) and will make 1.5 liters of Limoncello / Arancello for the holidays.

enhance

The class will meet again in mid-December to sample their work and take it home for holiday entertaining. Will post some pictures when completed.

Very nice!

My SIL and BIL make their own and keep my supply stocked :-D but I still want to try it on my own. Have you ever tried the sous vide method?

Very nice! My father started making it in the last year or so. Says it reminds him of the old country ;-)

That is something I want to try, but the instructions I have found look very complicated. Gee...if someone knowledgeable could do a step by step picture tutorial for us newbies...

Yes, many of the online recipes are confusing at best. I have a tutorial in pdf form with step by step procedures.

It's actually quite simple to make, just prepare and wait. Sanitizing your equipment is the most important task, and always knowing your Alcohol By Volume content is a must .

I can post the tutorial later if you are interested.

What proof do you dilute it to? And how sweet do you make it. Those are the two variables I still struggle with. Otherwise, it's quite a simple process. May have to start a new batch soon.

And for those in states where you can't get the high proof grain alcohol, you can use regular vodka, but it'll take 2-3 times as long to extract all the flavor out of the zest.

Last edited:
I've made skeeter pee a few times (skeeterpee.com), think lemon wine/mike's hard lemonade but better.

I need to try some homemade limoncello.

I've made skeeter pee a few times (skeeterpee.com), think lemon wine/mike's hard lemonade but better.

Always wanted to try making some skeeter pee. I laughed when I saw the recipe for the 33 gallon batch. Can't remember if it was on their FB page or the website.

Yes, many of the online recipes are confusing at best. I have a tutorial in pdf form with step by step procedures.

It's actually quite simple to make, just prepare and wait. Sanitizing your equipment is the most important task, and always knowing your Alcohol By Volume content is a must .

I can post the tutorial later if you are interested.

I would love to share your recipe with my pops if you don’t mind sharing!

Always wanted to try making some skeeter pee. I laughed when I saw the recipe for the 33 gallon batch. Can't remember if it was on their FB page or the website.
31 gal would be two kegs, not sure where the extra two gallons go (maybe jugs for quicker drinking???).

What proof do you dilute it to? And how sweet do you make it. Those are the two variables I still struggle with. Otherwise, it's quite a simple process. May have to start a new batch soon.

I target for 33% / 66 proof. If I am starting with 500 ml everclear the final volume will end up being 1439 ml.

Many use pure simple syrup, 939 ml of it. Add the 500 ml of infused alcohol, 500 + 939 = 1439.

I like it a little less sweet so I use 250 ml distilled water and 600 of simple syrup. You then have 89 ml to add water/syrup to adjust to your liking. 250 + 600 + 89 = 939. Add the 500 ml of infused alcohol, 500 + 939 = 1439.

The total volume is your constant for ABV control.

Making Liqueurs and Cordials

Other Holiday Cordials / Liqueurs ready to blend.

Pear and Cranberry in the infusion Process

enhance

Before and After infusion - Pear

enhance

After the Infusion - Cranberry

enhance

Others ready to blend.....
Red Plum, Lime, Asian Pear, Pineapple, and Tangerine

enhance

Currently in infusion are Persimmon, Cotton Candy Grapes, Grapefruit, Blackberry, and more Pineapple.

Once you have infused and filtered the alcohol, the 500 ml of alcohol will fit in a pint jar (above). These will keep for well over a year in the refrigerator until you are ready to dilute and mix. Allow two weeks after mixing for flavor to meld / mellow.

When bottled they last through the holidays and up to 6 months (or more) if refrigerated. I sterilize the bottles / utensils with steam before using, so I have successfully stored and used liqueurs and cordials for a couple years.

You can also buy decorative bottles, which make great gifts when filled with the handcrafted liqueur.
enhance

Last edited:
Those look amazing!

Persimmon and cotton candy really got my attention.

Ron L made this Limoncello at last year's Chicago bash that was so farking good!

Those look amazing!

Persimmon and cotton candy really got my attention.

Ron L made this Limoncello at last year's Chicago bash that was so farking good!

These two were actually last minute experiments, LOL.

I was in an Asian Market and persimmons were on clearance because they were so soft, but that is actually when they are ripe. You should be able to suck them through a straw if they are ripe. As the persimmons infused, the flavor wasn't exact so I added some orange zest, and a couple chunks of fresh pineapple to round out the flavor.

Then I saw Cotton Candy Grapes and a light went off, never made grape liqueur before, but it's worth a shot. Worst case scenario I can add it to a holiday punch bowl, or maybe create a new mixed drink. But in the end I think it will be fine as a sweet sipping cordial.

If you have a recipe you like, but don't want the dry taste of using vodka, you can still use everclear.
For those who have a recipe that call for 750 ml of vodka:
For 100 proof (50%) spirits, add 355 ml of distilled water to 395 ml of Everclear, results in 750 ml of liquid at 100 Proof.
For 80 proof (40%) spirits, add 435 ml of distilled water to 315 ml of Everclear, results in 750 ml of liquid at 80 Proof.

Liqueurs can be made from almost anything, fruits, vegetables, herbs, aromatics, choclate, flowers, coffee.....

Think of your alcohol as the canvas of your artistic creativity, you are limited only by your imagination.

Awesome......Thanks for the information. So, in your experiments above, are you just cutting the grapes, cranberries, and pineapple fruit and soaking it in the Everclear?

Back