Makin' Bacon! My First Bacon! Yummy pron ahead!

Thirdeye, how big is that slicer? If you dont mind, could you share the model?

Thanks!

DSC01599a.jpg

That's a Victorinox 40646, and it's 19-1/2" overall, and sports a 14" blade. It dwarfs the 9" blade on that fillet knife in the picture. It's a good brisket knife and good for jerky prep. Generally I chill my bacon and slice it on a baby Krups, but it's kind of manly to have a slab of bacon in the fridge.

DSC02409aaa.jpg

Charcuterie will be my next book purchase. It's been on my list since day one, but I couldn't justify it until I learned to use my smoker first. lol Great job on your first try at bacon! :thumb:

That's where I'm at now. Where the heck can you find a good source. The butchers around here suck eggs. I put that as nicely as I could. lol

Oriental markets are a good bet for pork belly. And like CarolinaQue mentioned, ordering from a meat market is not too bad if they get deliveries a couple of times a week. Even if they come skin-on, it is easy to remove it yourself.

Well, I tried making bacon for the first time on my Vision grill... Altho the temp gauge showed 200 degrees, it tool an awfully long time for the bacon to reach 150 degrees... almost six hours...

Unfortunately, I did not rinse the bacon enough after taking it out of the fridge... It was SALTY. They aren't kidding when they said you really have to rinse it good...

Love it..

Once we learned how to cure and smoke our own we have never looked back... Can;t wait for the tomato's to grow to have BLTS on homemade bread and home grown veggies

Bacon = Meat Candy. :biggrin1:
Going to have to try this soon... once I get the hang of keeping my temps steady on my smoker.

Great Job! I have this book also and have made my own bacon. No question it is superior to store bought. Try the recipe for Pork Belly Confit, AWSOME!!! :grin:

Back