MAK vs Rec Tec

A question for you MAK guys:
What size additional rack do you recommend? I’m think full but I’m afraid reaching items on the bottom may be difficult. Is 3/4 better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After being set straight with my previous post...lol, I’d still go with the full upper grate for one main reason. Unless I am smoking a ton of food, I smoke everything on the upper grate. I like the results a bit more for two reasons:
-I feel that the smoke lingers around the food a bit more up high in the cooking chamber before exiting.
-There is less radiant heat as the food is further from the heat source. I feel that the food is cooked a bit more gentle, resulting in a tad more tender end product. Not that there is anything wrong with food cooked on the main grate!

With that said, the 3/4 grate would definitely be a bit easier to work with if you are often toggling food between 2 grates. Personally, I have just gotten use to carefully slipping my hands under the full upper grate with long tings or a spatula when needed.

Last edited:
A question for you MAK guys:
What size additional rack do you recommend? I’m think full but I’m afraid reaching items on the bottom may be difficult. Is 3/4 better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got full because I do monster cooks sometimes for parties, events, and weddings. If I’m not doing that then all I need is just the bottom rack in place for my wife and I as it’s just the 2 of us. So my situation calls for the full upper.

Back