THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I used to make something similar to this but would use my grill cheese maker. When we were really poor we would do up the meat and take it with us on vacation and fix them in the hotel room. The melted cheese thru them was great and it was a lot cheaper than eating out.

I ate at a MaidRite every day in high School (63-67) in Canton, IL.
MaidRite, chips and a coke. Man, those were the good 'Ol days!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!

I ate at a MaidRite every day in high School (63-67) in Canton, IL.
MaidRite, chips and a coke. Man, those were the good 'Ol days!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!

They had a MaidRite in Dunlap, IL (just No of Peoria) for several years back when I lived there.

a Maid-rite maidrite

1285.jpg

There is one of these places in Quincy, Ill. My wife and mother-in-law go there all the time. I think my mother-in-law has the recipe. I will ask her.

If I a remeber right it was hamburger, beef broth, garlic powder, onion flakes (fine), pepper and salt. I know my wife have done it at a tail-gate just using Lowery's season salt.

Sled!!!
Don't make fun of Old People!!!!!!
Besides, that was BEFORE we all starting smokin'. I really don't remember anything after about 1968.
What were we talking about?
Smoke On!!!!!

maid rite in cedar rapids mall which i tried and really didnt care for was just a bunch of grease

maid rite in cedar rapids mall which i tried and really didnt care for was just a bunch of grease

Ain't it great? :biggrin:

Ever been to Prairie du Chien? They have a sidewalk stand that makes hamburgers in a big water tray. It's like a big skillet with sides that they add in about an inch of water. Not sure why, it it keeps them from burning or what - but they're good filler as you pull into town before heading out on the river for the weekend.

Should have tried the original East Side Maidrite on First Avenue. Not as good as it used to be though. Wichita, Kansas has a copy cat one called NuWay. Not too bad, but not the best. We make ours now at home with diced onion and lots of salt and pepper, ketsup and mustard.

maidrites.......

got joint here in nw illinois that turns them out by the hundreds everyday. owner says it a secret recipe but the special ingrediant in his is coca-cola syrup. I kid you not. not a can of coke but the syrup from the pre-mix fountain coke. Its lunch time here think i'll head there now for a couple.

Ain't it great? :biggrin:

Ever been to Prairie du Chien? They have a sidewalk stand that makes hamburgers in a big water tray. It's like a big skillet with sides that they add in about an inch of water. Not sure why, it it keeps them from burning or what - but they're good filler as you pull into town before heading out on the river for the weekend.

There's a place like this that cooks out just south of Cedar Rapids at the Shueyville exit. The reason they do it is that they have a stack of sweet Vidalia onions on one side of the skillet, and cooking in this onion water adds a very sweet oniony flavor to the burgers. Tasty stuff!!

Here is a recipe from Jane and Micheal Stearn[ the Roadfood couple]/ Supposedly authentic, came from a diner in Iowa about 25 years ago.:rolleyes:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Loosemeats (maid-rite)

Recipe By :Real American Food Cookbook(Sterns)
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Beef Meats
Sandwiches Skillet Dinners

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 clove garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion medium -- chopped fine
1 pound ground chuck
1/2 cup tomato juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper -- ground
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master

In a large skillet over medium heat, saute garlic in oil until it begins to brown. Add onion and saute until soft. Add meat, stirring constantly with a fork to keep it crumbly meat is brown, add all remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until dry--about 15-20 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns.

Description:
"Ground meat mixture for sandwiches-not so sloppy joe"
Cuisine:
"American"

Should have tried the original East Side Maidrite on First Avenue. Not as good as it used to be though. Wichita, Kansas has a copy cat one called NuWay. Not too bad, but not the best. We make ours now at home with diced onion and lots of salt and pepper, ketsup and mustard.

You guys in the heartland ever had a Runza?

I just heard of these this week too:

http://www.runza.com/whatzarunza.htm

Back