Low salt/sodium rubs?

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Trying to take better care of myself, so salt intake is one of the things I'm trying to eliminate, or at least reduce, for the past several months.

I found that the Simply Marvelous rubs have been the best (IMO) in terms of having great flavor with not a lot of salt. Most other rubs that seem to be popular on our forum seem to have a lot of salt in them, and if I use less of the rub to get less sodium then I find that i can't get a lot of flavor on the meat. I did an extensive tasting session at the KC BBQ Supply store earlier in the summer, and found most of the rubs to be too salty. The Plowboys rubs are also good, and I use them frequently, but prefer them second to the SM rubs. I have tries some of the Todd's Dirt rubs also and found them to have less salt than many of the other rubs as well.

I know that Dizzy Pig makes 1-2 low salt rubs, but I found that out after I already bought some Dizzy Dust. Can brehtren recommend any other low salt rubs that are good for the usual - beef, pork, chicken?

Thanks!

I do like the Dizzy Dust no salt rub. I use it almost as much as the Simply Marvelous. I have not yet tried Big Rons, I will probably give them a try once I get rid of the other rubs I have stacked up.

Here are some that I use.

picture.php

All good suggestions...

Nowadays - many packaged meats already have an "enhanced solution" already added.
The problem is that particular solution is already a diluted salt-water mixture.

Some run as high as 15-20% salt solution.

Just keep note on the package label - if you see the wording "enhanced" - its already loaded in a sodium solution.

There are quite a few low sodium rubs available. Big Ron's is a very good one. Fiesta spices makes a few salt free rubs, their salt free brisket rub is nice.

make your own without salt. there are plenty of rub recipes on here (plus the plethora on the interwebs) that would offer tons of flavor without the salt

make your own without salt. there are plenty of rub recipes on here (plus the plethora on the interwebs) that would offer tons of flavor without the salt
^^^This, plus Old Bay offers a '30 % less sodium then our original seasoning' verson. I use it as a base to make my own low sodium rubs.

I also soak 'enhanced' meats in plain water to rid it of as much salt as possible.

My Doc said 1800 Mg of sodium daily is the new limit recommended for healthy living.

Another thing to check if you are trying to reduce your sodium is the amount of sodium in your local water. If I drink 8 16oz glasses of our local city water a day I exceed the 2500mg sodium max that most diets recommend. Remember that most bottled water comes from municipal sources also. De-ionized or distilled water are usually completely sodium free. Hope that this helps.

Another thing to check if you are trying to reduce your sodium is the amount of sodium in your local water. If I drink 8 16oz glasses of our local city water a day I exceed the 2500mg sodium max that most diets recommend. Remember that most bottled water comes from municipal sources also. De-ionized or distilled water are usually completely sodium free. Hope that this helps.
Sodium in city water? God Forbid!

I'am glad I have a Very Deep Fresh H20 well punched down 310 feet into a underground reservoir - My Veggie Garden loves it.

Correctly distilled water is totally sodium free along with other impurities.

Now if I can just talk Granddaddy into distilling water rather then High Quaility Moonshine..........:grin:

Sodium in city water? God Forbid!

I'am glad I have a Very Deep Fresh H20 well punched down 310 feet into a underground reservoir - My Veggie Garden loves it.

Correctly distilled water is totally sodium free along with other impurities.

Now if I can just talk Granddaddy into distilling water rather then High Quaility Moonshine..........:grin:

I test water that I use in Hydroponics, all bottled water I have tested comes back in the single digits with a digital EC meter. As does the Reverse Osmosis water I can buy from the machine at the grocery store.

Also water from a water softener has SOME sodium, but here is what one source says about that. it would take two HUNDRED glasses of water to reach 2500mg ? One person said jokingly but accurately "if you drink a bathtub full of softened water you will get the sodium as a bagle has in it".

An 8-ounce (237-milliliter) glass of softened water generally contains less than 12.5 milligrams of sodium, which is well within the Food and Drug Administration's definition of "very low sodium." The majority of sodium in the average diet comes from table salt and processed foods. Thus, the best way to decrease the sodium in your diet is by cutting back on table salt and processed foods.

FYI, if you use more ground hot peppers in your rubs, it will help to thin your blood, boost your mood, and your metabolism.. When your metabolism is boosted, you naturally melt away anything fatty in your body.

There's a guy on another forum who eats 3 whole chili tepins per day as part of his diet. His numbers are improving all the time by eating the hot stuff as a medication.

I make my own rubs, and if you want to use less salt, just use more and fresher herbs and spices. If you are accustomed to a lot of salt, it will take a while for you to get over that. But, in time, you will not miss it, as long as you replace it with other flavors.

CD

Sorry folks - did not keep up with my own thread for a couple of days.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I have decreased the amount of salt that I cook with and can count on one hand the number of times I have picked up a salt shaker in the past 7months. I do in fact eat a lot of chillies - usually 2-3 thai chillies with dinner, and our food usually has some cayenne in it. So the next step was to try and make the 'cue healthier for me.

I would like to take a stab at making my own rub, but currently I want to try rubs which are commercially available to get an idea about different kinds of flavors. I'm going to give Big Ron's rubs a try. I have some of the Oakridge rubs, of which I have so far only tried the Habanero Death Dust (it was awesome!). For the past year or so, I have tried to purchase bbq supplies when possible, since I want to support brethren businesses.

I try to buy meat that has not been enhanced, but that's a good tip to soak the meat first. I did not know that you could get rid of some of the salt by doing that.

Thanks again!

Oakridge, and he's a brethren.

Thanks! Almost all of our rubs fall well below the FDA guidelines for "low sodium". The only two that clearly don't are our Santa Maria rub and our Game Changer Brine. Our Habanero Death Dust is right on the boarder-line, so I don't consider it "low sodium", but it is still much lower in salt than many, many other rubs out there. :thumb:

Back