Low Salt And Sugar Rubs

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
BBQ Mojo
I got diagnosed last week with type 2 diabetes and looking for new rubs with low sodium and sugar and these in the pic are a few that i have . What do you guy use with low sodium and sugar? Looks like I have a full cabinet of rubs that are unopened and vacuum sealed that I need to get rid of too , lol .

Attachments

• rubs.jpg
    rubs.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 145
Jeff,

My experience with Type II is that it is very manageable if you watch your carb intake at least for me. I've had it since 2014 and I've been able to keep my A1C below 6.0 nearly the whole time once I started watching the carbs. I could still stand to lose more weight and exercise more but the my doctor is happy with my numbers. I did not change any rubs or sauces. I occasionally drink beer, eat ice cream or cakes or pie or candy. the only thing is I have to take an insane amount of drugs which the doctor tells me I'll never be able to get off of. I've been to a diabetic nutritionist and she became nearly apoplectic when I told her of my occasional cheating. I asked her given my numbers and without that cheat knowledge would she be worried. She said no. So,with that knowledge what changed? She had no good response, yet continued to chastise me. Of course, some folks react differently to this disease and I may be lucky. I wish you well on this new journey.

Robert

There are a lot of foods now thanks to the keto craze that will make this easier for you. If you are looking for any other foods let me know and I will try to help out.

In the BBQ world there are many rubs to choose from.

Big Ron's makes a sugar free rub. It is called, "In the House"

Keep in mind that rub's do not necessarily require sugar, other than to help balance the salt/savory content. If you remove the sugar, you can probably cut back on the salt as well. Try using use your favorite recipe and just delete the sugar, and cut the salt in half, you'll probably never notice the difference.

Here is a collection of sugar-free, low salt (some salt free), or alternatively Sweetened rubs previously posted on The BBQ-Brethren.

No Salt / No Sugar Rubs
================================

Third Eye's No sugar/No salt rub
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1746128&postcount=4
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=1195316146

3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground basil
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper
1 tablespoon mustard powder

Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ book
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1798370&postcount=6

1/4 cup cayenne pepper
1/4 cup sweet Hungarian paprika
2 Tbl chili powder
2 tea ground black pepper
1 tea white pepper
1 tea dry mustard
1 tea ground thyme
1 tea garlic powder
1 tea onion powder
1/2 tea sage

==================================================

==================================================

Diabetic Rubs with an Alternate Sweetner

Blu's Sugarless Pork Rub for the BBQ Challenged
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2946404&postcount=8

1 4 oz bottle Sweet Paprika
4 packets of splenda or stevia
1/2 of a 4 oz bottle of Kosher salt
1 Teasp celery salt
1 Teasp Granulated onion
1 Teasp Granulated garlic
1 Table sp Mrs Dash Lemon pepper
1/2 tsp (or to taste) Cayenne pepper
1 Teasp Ginger
1 Teasp mustard powder

Diabetic BBQ Rub: - posted by jschliesman
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1478588&postcount=9

1/4 Cup Paprika
1/4 Cup Splenda Sweetener
2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon White Pepper
1 Tablespoon Lemon Pepper
2 teaspoons Mustard Powder
1 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Cayenne
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning

Bob_M's Sugarless Rub.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2140636&postcount=15

8 parts splenda
2 parts chili powder
2 parts paprika
1 part salt
1 part pepper
1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder
1/2 part mustard powder

Jeff,

My experience with Type II is that it is very manageable if you watch your carb intake at least for me. I've had it since 2014 and I've been able to keep my A1C below 6.0 nearly the whole time once I started watching the carbs. I could still stand to lose more weight and exercise more but the my doctor is happy with my numbers. I did not change any rubs or sauces. I occasionally drink beer, eat ice cream or cakes or pie or candy. the only thing is I have to take an insane amount of drugs which the doctor tells me I'll never be able to get off of. I've been to a diabetic nutritionist and she became nearly apoplectic when I told her of my occasional cheating. I asked her given my numbers and without that cheat knowledge would she be worried. She said no. So,with that knowledge what changed? She had no good response, yet continued to chastise me. Of course, some folks react differently to this disease and I may be lucky. I wish you well on this new journey.

Robert

I know at least 3 people that had doctors say the same thing about drugs. Well they all went keto or very low carb and all got off drugs 100% in months. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic with A1C of 5.7 and in 4 weeks I brought it down to 5.0 by going very low carb. Doctors all want to sell you drugs. I also don't crave sweets at all. It took a while but the cravings go. I can look at a plate of bread and all the desserts and not care at all.

Anyhow, to the OP: I'd make your own rub with spices you like. Cut the sugar 100% and you will be fine. Salt is not really an issue, especially if you go low low carb. You actually need more salt on very low carb.

Now one possible suggestions, and I have not tried this on BBQ yet, is Allulose. It's a sugar substitute, about 70% as sweet as sugar. I just made a keto cheesecake with it as a test for upcoming holidays and it's quite good without that nasty aftertaste of most sugar substitutes. It's not cheap and I'd also only use it occasionally as I don't think any fake sugar is really good for us. But it's worth a shot. Not sure how it would come out in a rub.

Back