Low-Carb/lean Recipes?

Yep I drink my carbs and grill smoke my protein. A website called battlediabetes.com has the most popular 100 beers listed for calories and carbohydrates. Miller Lite Busch Lite and michalobe ultra have the lowest carb content. When I "Q" I like a Miller lite. I probably would have dropped another 15-20 had I quit alcohol. In fact I was reading the other day about the perils of alcohol, so I've quit reading.

nobody has any recipes?

It's easier to stick to a plan by modifying what you do already vs introducing new stuff. You won't go off the wagon as soon/frequently if what you're having "tastes a little different" vs "I'm not used to eating this stuff, but it's for my diet". depending on what you're cooking, the first part in quotes may not even be noticeable. that's why I posted the suggestions I did.

as for a specific recipe-
you'll need-
1-pork sirloin roast
2-mustard
3-dry rub(easy home made one w/o sugar is salt/pepper/paprika in equal amounts with lesser amounts of garlic powder/cayenne pepper/whatever else you want to throw in)
4-corn syrup free bbq sauce(bought or home made)
5-green beans

prep-
1-coat roast in mustard
2-apply dry rub
3-let it sit at least a couple hours
4-start getting your smoker ready

cook-
1-place in smoker and cook until it's just about to fall apart
2-once done cooking, wrap in foil and rest in the oven for no less than 30 min
3-heat up your green beans
4-pull the roast like a butt
5-add sauce, but use 25-33% less than normal and mix thoroughly

serve on plate w/o a bun

Pork loin is a lean meat. There is a good low carb cabbage roll recipe somewhere. I dont have it but it is almost as good as a regular cabbage roll with rice. Hope this helps.

I have gained about 12lbs since I picked up que'in as a hobby about 2 months ago. I fall asleep way early, and my chica (who is a friggen n^10th power fitness junkie) is not pleased.

I am going to work on more skinless chicken recipes for the smoker. We also grill salmon quite a bit. The problem isn't the sugars, it's the amount of delicious que I'm eating. She'll only eat chicken or fish, so I am trying to focus on that. If you'd like the salmon recipe - I'll be happy to share

I have gained about 12lbs since I picked up que'in as a hobby about 2 months ago. I fall asleep way early, and my chica (who is a friggen n^10th power fitness junkie) is not pleased.

I am going to work on more skinless chicken recipes for the smoker. We also grill salmon quite a bit. The problem isn't the sugars, it's the amount of delicious que I'm eating. She'll only eat chicken or fish, so I am trying to focus on that. If you'd like the salmon recipe - I'll be happy to share

try drinking a couple tall glasses of water just before you eat. you'll eat less when you do, still feel full and have more delicious leftovers for lunches. and go for green veggies vs yellow/white as sides and I believe you can trim it off fairly quick

try drinking a couple tall glasses of water just before you eat. you'll eat less when you do, still feel full and have more delicious leftovers for lunches. and go for green veggies vs yellow/white as sides and I believe you can trim it off fairly quick

I'll give it a shot, but it's also probably the 12 pk of microbrew I drink while smokin'. Denver has the highest density of awesome microbrews anywhere I know of and they're just too tempting.

I need to switch back to miller lite and local whiskeys instead - but I like the water idea too - thank you

I'll give it a shot, but it's also probably the 12 pk of microbrew I drink while smokin'. Denver has the highest density of awesome microbrews anywhere I know of and they're just too tempting.

I need to switch back to miller lite and local whiskeys instead - but I like the water idea too - thank you

you're welcome. and yeah, the "empty" calories from the brew will offset the low cal/low fat cooking.

Thanks!!!! Exactly what I was looking for... Only recipe anyone posted so far

It's easier to stick to a plan by modifying what you do already vs introducing new stuff. You won't go off the wagon as soon/frequently if what you're having "tastes a little different" vs "I'm not used to eating this stuff, but it's for my diet". depending on what you're cooking, the first part in quotes may not even be noticeable. that's why I posted the suggestions I did.

as for a specific recipe-
you'll need-
1-pork sirloin roast
2-mustard
3-dry rub(easy home made one w/o sugar is salt/pepper/paprika in equal amounts with lesser amounts of garlic powder/cayenne pepper/whatever else you want to throw in)
4-corn syrup free bbq sauce(bought or home made)
5-green beans

prep-
1-coat roast in mustard
2-apply dry rub
3-let it sit at least a couple hours
4-start getting your smoker ready

cook-
1-place in smoker and cook until it's just about to fall apart
2-once done cooking, wrap in foil and rest in the oven for no less than 30 min
3-heat up your green beans
4-pull the roast like a butt
5-add sauce, but use 25-33% less than normal and mix thoroughly

serve on plate w/o a bun

Pappy’s Brunswick Stew (Low Carb.)

Pulled Pork, Chicken (or turkey), Hamburger (or deer burger)
IMG_3692.jpg

Zucchini, Peppers
IMG_3693.jpg

Green Beans, Celery, Onion, Corn, Lima Beans, Cauliflower
IMG_3697.jpg

All in the pot.
IMG_3703.jpg

Lets Eat!
IMG_3709.jpg

Pappy’s Brunswick Stew (Low Carb.) Recipe
1.4 pounds Lean Hamburger (browned and drained)
2 pounds Boneless Chicken Breast (cubed and sautéed in evvo)
2 pounds Hickory Smoked Pulled Pork
32 oz Fat Free Chicken Broth
1 Lg can Whole Tomatoes (cut up into 1/3rds)
3 can Diced Tomato’s
2 can Cut Green Beans
2 jars Sliced Green Mushrooms
2 Yellow Zucchini (1/2” cuts quartered)
2 Green Zucchini (1/2” cuts quartered)
2 cup Cauliflower Clusters (bite size, no stems)
1 cup Catsup
2 Tbs Yellow Mustard
½ cup White Vinegar
2 cloves Garlic (I used minced)
1 Tbs Crushed Red Pepper
3 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbs Lemon Juice
¼ cup Splenda Brown Sugar)
1 Lg White Onion (chopped and sautéed in evvo, with celery)
2 cup Chopped Celery
1 Chopped Red Pepper
1 Chopped Green Pepper
¼ cup BBQ Sauce (Kansas City Red, homemade)
1/4 cup Pork Rub (Chris Lilly’s Memphis Rib rub, homemade)
2 Tbs Hot Sauce (to taste)
Salt & Pepper (to taste)

Optional
(These are not on our low carb diet menu)
1 Small can Baby Green Lima beans
1 Small can Sweet Corn

this looks awesome!!!! I will definitely be trying this one

Thank you!!!!!

Pappy’s Brunswick Stew (Low Carb.)

Pulled Pork, Chicken (or turkey), Hamburger (or deer burger)
IMG_3692.jpg

Zucchini, Peppers
IMG_3693.jpg

Green Beans, Celery, Onion, Corn, Lima Beans, Cauliflower
IMG_3697.jpg

All in the pot.
IMG_3703.jpg

Lets Eat!
IMG_3709.jpg

Pappy’s Brunswick Stew (Low Carb.) Recipe
1.4 pounds Lean Hamburger (browned and drained)
2 pounds Boneless Chicken Breast (cubed and sautéed in evvo)
2 pounds Hickory Smoked Pulled Pork
32 oz Fat Free Chicken Broth
1 Lg can Whole Tomatoes (cut up into 1/3rds)
3 can Diced Tomato’s
2 can Cut Green Beans
2 jars Sliced Green Mushrooms
2 Yellow Zucchini (1/2” cuts quartered)
2 Green Zucchini (1/2” cuts quartered)
2 cup Cauliflower Clusters (bite size, no stems)
1 cup Catsup
2 Tbs Yellow Mustard
½ cup White Vinegar
2 cloves Garlic (I used minced)
1 Tbs Crushed Red Pepper
3 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbs Lemon Juice
¼ cup Splenda Brown Sugar)
1 Lg White Onion (chopped and sautéed in evvo, with celery)
2 cup Chopped Celery
1 Chopped Red Pepper
1 Chopped Green Pepper
¼ cup BBQ Sauce (Kansas City Red, homemade)
1/4 cup Pork Rub (Chris Lilly’s Memphis Rib rub, homemade)
2 Tbs Hot Sauce (to taste)
Salt & Pepper (to taste)

Optional
(These are not on our low carb diet menu)
1 Small can Baby Green Lima beans
1 Small can Sweet Corn

You're a little bit in no mans land. The low carb recipes are going to have too much fat and the low fat too many carbs. I don't eat much sugar go kind of easy on the carbs.

For meats pork loin and loin chops are pretty lean and both benefit from a brine. BJ's sells skinless boneless chicken thighs that are really good, tastier and less dry than breasts for not that much more fat.

For sauces and rubs - most rubs just leave out the sugar. Mustard based sauces are good even mustard with some curry powder mixed in is good. Chilli garlic sauce is really good too mixed with soy sauce makes a good Korean style marinade for chicken or pork.

As for veggies kale, asparagus, peppers, broccoli rabe and brussel sprouts are all great on the grill. It's funny after a while of cutting down on sugar how sweet food tastes. I almost can't eat ketchup or bottled bbq sauce anymore just too sweet.

Good luck!

You're a little bit in no mans land. The low carb recipes are going to have too much fat and the low fat too many carbs. I don't eat much sugar go kind of easy on the carbs.

For meats pork loin and loin chops are pretty lean and both benefit from a brine. BJ's sells skinless boneless chicken thighs that are really good, tastier and less dry than breasts for not that much more fat.

For sauces and rubs - most rubs just leave out the sugar. Mustard based sauces are good even mustard with some curry powder mixed in is good. Chilli garlic sauce is really good too mixed with soy sauce makes a good Korean style marinade for chicken or pork.

As for veggies kale, asparagus, peppers, broccoli rabe and brussel sprouts are all great on the grill. It's funny after a while of cutting down on sugar how sweet food tastes. I almost can't eat ketchup or bottled bbq sauce anymore just too sweet.

Good luck!

what's wrong with cooking some lean meat with low carb veggies...like some of the ones you listed above?

what's wrong with cooking some lean meat with low carb veggies...like some of the ones you listed above?

Oh nothing wrong with it. Just saying in general there is not that much overlap between the low fat camps and the low carb camps. If you go around googling for recipes you get a lot of stuff to one extreme or the other.

Eat To Live by Joel Furhman MD beans greens nuts seeds fruits veggies all meats boiled grilled smoked (not fried) low carb alcohol in moderation. No sugar no floor no processed foods. That along with Dr Gotts no flour no sugar book you can literally eat like a King without all the diseases Kings got like diabetes and gout.

I'm telling you these books are a beacon to a grillers way to eat. No calories to count. Most people don't have the willpower to resist cakes cookies Candy high sugar condiments etc. But if your body is telling you to change up some things or your MD is handing you multiple scripts OR about to. It's worth a shot. I could not believe the way the weight dropped the blood profiles improved.

RECIPE. If you have to remove it from plastic or cellophane Don't eat it
Read labels. If it says sugar or flour dont eat it.
Better yet don't eat anything that comes with a label

Do not eat anything that contains flour, sugar or processed food.

Except beer. Low carb lite beer- A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do

I've been cutting back on carbs since around January of this year and have lost close to 60 pounds. I tend to drink my carbs these days. And I don't worry much about fat intake. Homemade beef jerky and hard boiled eggs have been my go-to snacks. Pork rinds are a great when craving something crunchy.

Here are some low carb stuffed peppers I make pretty regularly:

SLOPPY JOE STUFFED PEPPERS
1 pound ground beef
1 ounce onion, chopped, about 2 tablespoons
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon granular Splenda
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
3 green peppers, halved lengthwise
Brown the ground beef, onion, celery and garlic; drain the fat. Stir in all of the remaining ingredients except the cheese and green peppers. Simmer 10 minutes. Meanwhile, parboil the peppers in a little boiling water 3 minutes; drain. Place the peppers in a baking dish. Stir half of the cheese into the hamburger mixture; fill the peppers with the meat. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350º 15-20 minutes until hot and bubbly and the peppers are tender.
Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen
Per Serving: 306 Calories; 21g Fat; 23g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

The recipe is from http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/main_dish_recipes.html

There are tons of great lowcarb recipes there.

This looks really good, I can definitely use this recipe.... I'd have to cut the fat back a bit. Some low fat cheese and some combination of ground turkey or chicken should do it.... Thanks!

I've been cutting back on carbs since around January of this year and have lost close to 60 pounds. I tend to drink my carbs these days. And I don't worry much about fat intake. Homemade beef jerky and hard boiled eggs have been my go-to snacks. Pork rinds are a great when craving something crunchy.

Here are some low carb stuffed peppers I make pretty regularly:

SLOPPY JOE STUFFED PEPPERS
1 pound ground beef
1 ounce onion, chopped, about 2 tablespoons
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon granular Splenda
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
3 green peppers, halved lengthwise
Brown the ground beef, onion, celery and garlic; drain the fat. Stir in all of the remaining ingredients except the cheese and green peppers. Simmer 10 minutes. Meanwhile, parboil the peppers in a little boiling water 3 minutes; drain. Place the peppers in a baking dish. Stir half of the cheese into the hamburger mixture; fill the peppers with the meat. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350º 15-20 minutes until hot and bubbly and the peppers are tender.
Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen
Per Serving: 306 Calories; 21g Fat; 23g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

The recipe is from http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/main_dish_recipes.html

There are tons of great lowcarb recipes there.

Back