Los Angeles area BBQ quasi-expert needed

I would certainly consider something like that. I live in Ventura!

Nice thing about being out there, is that you are not far from Laird's Butcher shop in Santa Paula. They have a great selection, and I have always had good luck with their meats. Keep us posted!

J

It depends on whether you are looking for comp classes to have taught or BBQ classes. I would start with Big Mista, who is enjoying a lot of press and popularity, and Steph, who has not only been running a successful catering company in SoCal for years, but, is a great comp cook as well. They can point the way. Honestly, I would find my way into Big Mistas and chat with the man in person.

Good advice, solid thoughts. I've already started to try to track down some of these name references. I'm also thinking more like BBQ classes and more oriented towards the newbie homeowner who just wants to learn his way around a grill....these classes would be more like the generic gift that a wife might buy for her husband or something a business might do as a small group, call it BBQ 101

Btw, I need a catchy name. I don't like BBQ Clinic, BBQ School, BBQ Camp or other of these typical names.

I would certainly consider something like that. I live in Ventura!

Nice thing about being out there, is that you are not far from Laird's Butcher shop in Santa Paula. They have a great selection, and I have always had good luck with their meats. Keep us posted!

I went to Laird's and they didn't have any whole packer briskets...and what they did have was a bit pricey. Hard to go wrong with Costco or Smart & Final.

I'm just starting to explore this whole concept. I worked really hard to create a really nice place and built things with a mind towards being able to host the occasional wedding, small music festival or something like a BBQ class. My wife already does Jam sessions where small groups of women come and pick our raspberries and then they make jam. It's easy, takes a couple hours and there's something wickedly magical about the raspberries that grow on our property....everyone goes nuts for her jam....so if she's going to do jam then I'm gonna do Q. The gals who come for jam all say they'd pop to sign their husbands up for BBQ classes in a jiffy. Trust me, women struggle to buy us gifts as much as we do for them...but for them we can always buy jewelry, day spa, flowers and other easy options. I'm telling ya, Q classes for the area, if marketed properly, would be a great fit!

I just need a great name......

I've never tried a Zutano avocado, but would love to! Over here in Ohio we get a couple choices: Haas from Mexico, Haas from California, or Haas from anywhere else. Occasionally I'll see some Florida avos, but sure what the variety is, but they're the bigger rounder green ones. Not a fan of those, really...kinda watery.

But in Hawaii, I ate avocados. We shopped at the farmers market 3-4 times while we were there, and some of that fruit changed my life (not necessarily in a good way). Avos, passion fruit, pineapple, and mangos. I got those items like I have never tried anywhere else. The flavors were out of the world, and I have not found anything similar since coming back home. In the case of avocados they had a bunch of different varieties that were vastly superior to the Haas, but of course we don't get them in Ohio.

Why wasn't it a good way? Because those items are some of my very favorite fruits, and now whenever I eat any of them back home I'm a bit disappointed because they never taste the way I remember them tasting...

Sorry for the threadjack, just was interested in a new type of avocado...

Hammb,

I am guessing that the fruit you bought in Hawaii was local, which is why it tasted so good. The Avocado you buy in the local grocery (in OH) will never compare. If you buy an avocado at the local outdoor market(in CA), you are getting a totally different fruit than you can get locally in OH. I know there are lots of excellent fruit products in OH but, sadly, the avocado is not one of them. I ship my avocados to friends in NY, KY, SC, and FL-- They always rave about them. Also, bear in mind that the Hass only produces good fruit for about 6 months out of the year--- the rest of the year they are not so good. Don't buy them out of season.

Zutano is an excellent tasting avocado? I have to say: You read it here first, folks.

I have never heard anyone praise a Zutano over a Hass for taste. The Zutano is a good donor as a B tree but it has only about a 16% fat content compared to 24% for the Hass. That 8% makes a world of difference. Many compare the Reed, Gwen, Pinkerton, and Lamb to the venerable Hass, and that must be considered a fair comparison, but there is a good reason that the Hass has endured for 85 years, and all others are compared to it--- it's good.

Sadly, the original Hass tree in Hacienda Heights, CA has died, and we have lost the mother clone producer.

I don't wish to start a debate over avocados, but too often I see folks confusing the Mexican fruit they buy in the grocery store with the original from CA. There is a big difference--- just like BBQ.

Good advice, solid thoughts. I've already started to try to track down some of these name references. I'm also thinking more like BBQ classes and more oriented towards the newbie homeowner who just wants to learn his way around a grill....these classes would be more like the generic gift that a wife might buy for her husband or something a business might do as a small group, call it BBQ 101

I just need a great name......

Did you consider your own idea....

I travel to Long Beach quite a bit for work and the next time I am in the area, I think I may have to reach out to you guys for some avocados and Q!

Back