THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If only i had rested my ribs..... i feel so stupid :frusty: It does deserve it's own name.

Do you really not see this? It's like how you can cook a hard boiled egg by turning the heat off once the water boils and letting it sit. This isn't a perfect analogy since you can't over cook a hard boiled egg, but the concept it the same.

I'm proud to know what pig honey is. :thumb:

These post are starting to smoke my butt.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180407

I don't wander into the ugly drum threads and spew fire.
The thread tittle is "looking for weeping ribs method"
If your not looking for this then you should go somewhere else. I suggest replying build a drum to any random smoker questions or crawl back under the bridge from whence you came.:boxing:

There is alot of good info in this thread, so closing or removing is not an option.

So here it is..

THIS IS THE ONE AND ONLY WARNING.
Ignore the warning and immediate action will be taken without discussion.

The next uncivil-offtopic/baiting post that offers nothing to the thread will earn 10 days off.

Keep it civil and ontopic.

:focus::focus:

Donnie, what is the best way to make weeping ribs on a wsm?

Sorry dad.:tsk::tsk:
There isn't any need to do anything different than i do on my UDS, Jimmy or mini...simply cook around 275* and cook to probe tender and pull. No need to use water on the cook either. Water style cookers with out water keep a semi moist environment and do great on ribs. Your WSM will be no different.

Ninja cooking on a stick burner is different but seriously...there is no need at all to do anything different or special.

Here is my first ribs without the membrane removed on my mini.

Grasshoppers....Don't be afraid to read Donnie's posts with an open mind. Sure he's a little wild and wacky, but also wise, sometimes maybe to a fault. Don't let his 'join date' fool you as he has reincarnated himself a few times.

There are many nuggets of wisdom to harvest from his posts, but many times you must read between the lines to see them. I'll admit, he is an "aquired taste" (did you like beer the first time you tasted it?) and have walked away from his posts, many times, scratching my head.

He is spot on in this thread (weeping ribs, right?) as he is in most of his posts...he just has a colorful, round about way, of contributing his thoughts.

ok. Just my 2 cents..I gotta go..the U.S./Russia hocking games on...later Brother and Sisters.

I find this whole bit pure nonsense.

As stated in the his first post "For the most part... when I came up with this.... cough... stole it,"

It's no different than the guy who claims to have "invented" moinks.

He didn't invent them.
People had been making them for years.
All he did is write out the process and name them.
That's not "inventing".

Some say its about the food.
I'd say its really about making people happy through food.
But I know one thing.
It's not about taking credit for processes cavemen were doing.
It's all a bit silly.

There are many ways to make moist Q.
On here it seems many are willing to show you how and offer great advice.
Thankfully, that advice rarely comes with "but you must call it X and tell people it was me."

Let's get back to making people happy through food.
Does anyone really care who decided to put a name to things others have been doing? No.

Cook it, serve it, eat it, smile.

Donnie, what is the best way to make weeping ribs on a wsm?

Sorry dad.:tsk::tsk:

Have someone else that is proficient with the dang thing is what I do.

I loved the **** outta my little weber. I ended up giving it to a veteran friend of mine with a bad case of respiratory problems and arthritis. I thought when I got the PBC I would not need it anymore. But the guy I am afraid just seems like it ain't gonna be much longer until he can't get up at all. Its a good thing I did give it to him though because he now gets up and fires that **** up every weekend and goes and feeds his buddies.

The webers are uniquiley capable of doing the weep method because they shut down real tight! So they soak in all that goodness a bit better than other methods. Honestly I did get a chuckle out of the ridicule that I say I "invented the process of resting the meat and called it the weeping method" because I see their point. I really do. But its a strawman as its not the same as resting in foil or in a cooler as the rins are not stacked upon themselves but hey... IF YOU SIT ON THE PEW ALL THE TIME EVERYBODY LIKE YA!

People quickly found out you could roll ribs when the weber came out. So all my process is, is watching for the pig honey at that crucial period that only happens (in that way) in a dry environment (dry as in not braising, not dry as in no waterpan option). Then of course shutting down the dampers tight (which we are told not to do) and not even peeking as the process of pig honey coming out (a period when ribs and meat is most receptive to external profile interchange) and SUSPENDING it in that zone.

If you don't think it is beneficial for natural meat flavors to slather the meat slowly then so be it. If you don't think that the juices and external flavors, carried by salt, fat and collagen, go back into the meat... so be it

Look, for my detractors (and I think its now cool I have some based on content instead of my antics which yes... are intentional to get a rise out of people and make them pay attention) I came up with promoting this technique because I saw a lot of guys struggling. (I wanted a guy to come QUICKLY come up to a simulated master status then start tweaking.... not listening to all the ideas given by a thread asking for rib help and trying to pull off elements of 12 different methods that won't work interchangeably.

I apparently hit the nail on the head as it is popular, I get a lot of thanks, a lot of emails asking me more about it, or how to do it on their gear... to which I usually guide them to this forum as you guys are more experts on weep ribs the different gear than I am.

I see y'alls point... believe me I do. I find its timing quite weird as I think I introduced this concept on this forum back in 2009, when I was another name. Then of course I find out Billy Bones does it this way too for the most part.

One must remember that the Weep method premiered at a time in which people were basically cooking ribs using the 3 2 1 method, in a bath, in foil and at those lower temps that caused the most challenge to the process because if you are at 225 on the gauge, you are awfully close to 213... the zone where nothing happens... so the bouncing up and down, often below 213... threw people of that thought their ribs cooked 5 hours because they were in the pit five hours.... but... they cooked only 3:45 BECAUSE of all the CUMULATIVE time spent below 213 as the fire bounced back and forth.

Problem solved at 250---270... the rib NEVER hits that dead zone.

Sure many will say... get a better pit, learn fire management but the Weep Hot and and Fast, But what if the guy doesn;t want to. Use the weep method, make some good ribs(membrane on or off) and make near as good ribs as the guy that tweaks obsessively. You can tweak once you have inspiration of an admirable rib.

So obviously the process was NOT "coined" for the master or the one that has been doing under the name of "the way my dad taught me."

I once got a ****ty message on my video site that said this:

"When I look at your ribs (mine on that video) and see them like that at a championship I feel good cuz I know I am gonna win." I was not upset by this because I didn't see the relation... they are not "intentionally championship ribs" but I thought I'd do some research... I looked up the guy and his team name and saw his other postings on the various boards. Along with his poor placing in the rib category at quite a few contests (as well as poor postings in every other category) I read one of his posts. He was getting anxious and wanting to quit because he does so poorly in ribs and chicken. The profile as similar. He entered into the game of competition and won an early victory at a regional sanctioned event in a region not known for BBQ. He got an invite to the Jack... he went... he was trounced, he continued to try and compete at other more prestigious contests and was again repeatedly trounced. So.................. he let out his frustrations on me... making a video about a process I would not even use at a championship.

So for people like that please read Craig Sharrys new article in TexasBBQ called BBQ Kings or Drama Queens. http://www.texaspitmasters.org/?p=82

Like he puts it. "I have never heard a winning cook cry foul when a new cook hits a roll and starts winning."

Sure he is talking about competition but I think it goes well here. Heck, maybe that's why i chose to just talk about yo mama. But the process? Sure the guy had an opinion... meat doesn't absorb flavor I guess at certain points." My opinion was it does... and that people should not take the opinion that meat does not take on flavor. Which I might add is the initial opinion that started this all off. It just so happens my opinion is backed up by probably a whole community and well respected veterans and EVEN the detractors n this page.

I will remind you that as the argument progressed some claimed what was silly about me was that I named a process that they themselves used cuz dad taught them to or it was used at the beginning of time. Interesting> Hmmm

We rest meat to keep it in a zone and distribute the juices... where? In the ether? Or back INTO the meat as much as we can.

I can't speak to the inventor of the weeping method, minion method or MOINKS, but I am the inventor of Fire. And without Fire, none of us would be discussing BBQ... so you're welcome. Now can't everyone appreciate the glorious gift I have given, and instead of bickering over little things, become united as Brethren should be?

Don't believe me about the Fire thing?

Bootstrap.jpg

"Call me a liar, or up the bid..." - Bootstrap Bill

http://youtu.be/A3IV22FJIbc?t=15s <---- its kinda like this huh?

This is another strawman. LOL

Look... as you pointed out... and even quoted... let me quote it again and explain it to you. Your evidence does not support your implied thesis.

I assume your thesis is "Pitmaster T is a fraud because he named something that people have been doing since caveman days." Correct your thesis if I am wrong, It may not be your intention and your point may have actually been that it doesn't matter. So I apologize in advance if that is the case.

But to the Implied meanings and claims in your post...............

POINT ONE - Cave men did it - Well for one you are wrong. No matter WHO says it or names it or makes a video about it... the process I call weep method cannot occur on anything but a German style pit oven or something that encloses the meat like an oven. The meat has to be surrounded by heat on all sides... only possible in an oven--- which is what we all cook on. And no... cave men and indians did not smoke meats at "high temps" tepees if you are going to through that. Pig honey and weeping is not pronounced (if it exists at all) at low temps, or on open pits because as I mentioned before, the meat is cool on the air exposed side.

Point TWO - Your own selection of this evidence FROM MY OWN post
"For the most part... when I came up with this.... cough... stole it," sort of ends the whole argument that I intentionally am a fraud by naming a process that already existed and hope no one would catch on.

Obviously the "cough" before I actually say "stole it" indicates I am both aware of what I am doing and also tipping my hat to the process. But... who is gonna watch a video that is called "Revolutionary Technique that has been going on for 100 years?"

So... let's review the old Popdaddy Schtick. He makes a glaze called Big Maybelles Candy Glaze in a video that is stolen from Danny Gaulden and given a new name... yet in a flash in the video you see his picture. He renames all spices to be figures in the funk, r and b world (Tina Turner is Paprika).

He goes off on a rant against APL for calling a Garlic Confit "Melting Garlic" and winking all the way.

He write a jealous rant purposely about Big Mista calling for Neil to be immersed in liquid nitrogen and people go off the cliff thinking I am sanctioning murder..... I did this for APL too.

Some of you guys really need to brush up on your reading comprehension. You don't offer up a quote that is obviously indicating I didn't come up with it because I stole it... then rant on about how I think I invented it.

By the way... MOINK balls were elevated by this forum and this forum FIRST. You don't like that, leave. Poke at me I am okay but do NOT reduce the significance of Moink Balls. Not to mention... they have to be made of frozen meatballs to be a moinkball.

I find this whole bit pure nonsense.

As stated in the his first post "For the most part... when I came up with this.... cough... stole it,"

It's no different than the guy who claims to have "invented" moinks.

He didn't invent them.
People had been making them for years.
All he did is write out the process and name them.
That's not "inventing".

Some say its about the food.
I'd say its really about making people happy through food.
But I know one thing.
It's not about taking credit for processes cavemen were doing.
It's all a bit silly.

There are many ways to make moist Q.
On here it seems many are willing to show you how and offer great advice.
Thankfully, that advice rarely comes with "but you must call it X and tell people it was me."

Let's get back to making people happy through food.
Does anyone really care who decided to put a name to things others have been doing? No.

Cook it, serve it, eat it, smile.

I dont care what you guys say i will be making me some weeping ribs tomorrow to see what all the hoopla is about.:mrgreen:

I dont care what you guys say i will be making me some weeping ribs tomorrow to see what all the hoopla is about.:mrgreen:

You won't be disappointed. I have always found it's best to cook ribs as fast and hot as you can without burning them. The fat renders better, and the result is far more moist than any variation of foiling and 3-2-1 nonsense.

I'd be glad to help you out W....This is can be a complicated method especially in a UDS, WSM or cabinet smoker... Ok you ready?

I'll lay out this method in a series of steps to simplify things.

1) rub your ribs- I like to rub just a little light layer of olive oil prior to the rub.
2) cook around 275
3) After maybe 3 1/2 hours put a tooth pic in to check for tenderness and i invented this bend test also but that's another day. You can also check for pull back but i don't want to complicate this too much for now. After they're tender bring them in to the house and cut them up and enjoy. Hope my wet ribs method works for you.

The end result are extremely moist and flavorful ribs with no need for sauce! Hope this helps on your cook tomorrow.

Well, I don't know about the ribs weeping, but I have had several guests break into tears when they take their first bite of my ribs...

I'd be glad to help you out W....This is can be a complicated method especially in a UDS, WSM or cabinet smoker... Ok you ready?

I'll lay out this method in a series of steps to simplify things.

1) rub your ribs- I like to rub just a little light layer of olive oil prior to the rub.
2) cook around 275
3) After maybe 3 1/2 hours put a tooth pic in to check for tenderness and i invented this bend test also but that's another day. You can also check for pull back but i don't want to complicate this too much for now. After they're tender bring them in to the house and cut them up and enjoy. Hope my wet ribs method works for you.

The end result are extremely moist and flavorful ribs with no need for sauce! Hope this helps on your cook tomorrow.

You forgot to let them weep.

Oh Goodie... Goodie a war. Please don't listen to this guy. Now go tell him I said this so he can get in here, respond.. then I do what I do, people come in a watch, the thread blows up... and everyone learns.

A few disclaimers... one I am not defending my "coined" process because I think its better... but I SURE as well blast the **** out of anyone saying its not a method or nothing special.

Also, if something is a departure from the current way things are done... I am afraid is IS something special... but also let me clarify... just because something is special does not mean it has to be complex. For the most part... when I came up with this.... cough... stole it, the typical method of doing ribs was 3,2,1, in foil of course, with lots o juice and attention and temps very damn close to the magic number 213... where nothing good happens.

And I don't want to bitch slap anyone on the membrane either... tear the sucka off to win a pageant at some point. So lets not make that an issue.

So I am sorry, but doing ribs at 250-270, with no foil and then choking down the fire at a crucial point is VASTLY different. Not Better, Not Superior, not even good if you want to say it but it is radical compared to the other ways that were popular.

Now to Mr. Perez at Kreuz, the Blacks, John Fullilove is it not a departure but for the time it was.

Also... on the "meat reabsorbing juices is bunk" Please tell this to Champions Billy Bones Wall, who I stole it from, or the goddamn builders and devoted owners of a J.R. Oyler.

Ill be back... I have to go back an look at other posts this guy made and pick them apart.

Back