THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smithers1945

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi guys. I’ve got a bbq island that has what appears to be a 36’’ gas grill built in, but I want to replace it with something better. Is there a such thing as a gas grill that can also be used as a charcoal grill?

I can grill on both my MAK and Shirley, but want something that’ll be quick and easy to fire up for times I don’t want to tend the fire or grill all day. Thanks

They exist as I had a similar quest a few years ago. I opted to go straight gas because it felt like a it was not going to hold up quite as long. I need to go through my marketing materials but I think it was either Bull or Delta grill. It wasnt $15k either. Those Kalamazoo look way overpriced.

Edit: so just did a quick search and neither Bull or Delta have a hybrid. I remember it was a bit of a pain to find one but it was in the $1.5-2k range

Last edited:
American muscle grill for the money...unless you can swing Kalamazoo

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a napoleon prestige pro and really like it and that's after not having a gas grill for over 10 years. It's great for weekday/Winter cooks.
As for it's ability to use charcoal, I mean yeah it has that available tray and yeah it's easy to light. However, since it's a gas grill it is full of air leaks so there isn't really any control over the temp with the charcoal.
Mine has a smoker tray with it's own burner that I use for reverse searing. I get the smoke flavor and a great sear on the infrared burner. Flavor wise I'd say it's 95% similar but I do miss playing with fire. But that's what weekends and my other cookers are for.
Here's the built-in model, lacks the infrared burner of the standalone:
https://www.napoleon.com/en/ca/barbecues/products/built-gas-grills/built-prestige-pro-series/built-prestige-pro-665-rb-bipro665rbpss-3

I believe my inlaws have this one...but I am not 100%. I have seen theirs in action and it works well. It is a Charbroil so not very expensive

Last edited:
Back