Locating Packer Briskets & Smoking Naked Flat Questions

93_confirmed

Take a breath!
I'm in NJ and having a really hard time finding packers. I've checked BJs, Costco, Sam's, Shop Rite, Wegmans, Whole Foods, etc. and have never seen a single one. What stores do you brethren on the East Coast buy them from?:confused:

That being said, I have only cooked flats (3-4 so far) and although I'm getting better, they're still coming out a bit dry. I've been cooking them on a WSM, full water pan, 225-250, naked with occasional apple juice spray and rested 1-2 hours after hitting around 200-205. Is there a way to cook a naked flat to come out as moist and well-smoked as if it were cooked with the point or is wrapping in butcher paper/foil pretty much required to avoid a dry flat? Any advise is appreciated! :thumb:

tough and dry or falling apart and dry? are you cooking to a certain temp or probing? wrapping helps a flat retain moisture.

Brisket

Restaurant Depot carries packer briskets..If you don't have a business , join the KCBS and then you can shop there.. Check with the store 1st just to make sure.
DanB

tough and dry or falling apart and dry? are you cooking to a certain temp or probing? wrapping helps a flat retain moisture.

Slightly rough and dry and pull test has some resistance. I do probe but start after 200, which maybe is too late based on the post above my reply.

My guess, without a well marbled flat, at 205*, it's overcooked and dry. Start probing at 195* IMO.

My flats are always choice so marbling is hit or miss. I've been probing around 200 so I'll start earlier at 195. As soon as it slides in/out with no resistance to han pull it and if it's not like butter leave it on?

If it was overcooked it would fall apart as you sliced. If the pull test had resistance it was slightly undercooked. There is no issue with probing sooner.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I get mine at GFS.

I'd take them to 165 and then wrap until done. Take to 195 for slices or 200-205 for pulled.

My flats are always choice so marbling is hit or miss. I've been probing around 200 so I'll start earlier at 195. As soon as it slides in/out with no resistance to han pull it and if it's not like butter leave it on?

It often feels for me like no two briskets ever finish at the same temp. Recently I started probing earlier on "choice or below" grade briskets (really, any brisket that I don't feel is very well marbled - prime included) and found that sometimes they were probe tender at 195*, whereas I hadn't been probing until after 200*. Also I've found that cooking "hot and fast" results in a higher finishing temp regardless of marbling compared to "low and slow", and the more fat there is in the meat, the higher I have to take it before it's the texture I like when probing. Lots of variables that affect finishing temp, it seems...but as pjtexas1 said, no issue with probing earlier. You can't "uncook it", but you can keep going if it's not where you like it. :thumb:

That being said, I'm still like 50/50 success rate on briskets I cook meeting my standards...she's an elusive beast for me.

Oh, and +1 on Restaurant Depot - worth the $40 membership to KCBS alone.

Last edited:
In NJ (at least in Northern NJ), the most consistent place to get packers is at Restaurant Depot. Fairway will also order one for you..... but it will be quite a bit more expensive (like 2x-3x the cost at RD). A small independent butcher should also be able to order one for you, but likewise it will cost much more. I've never seen them at Costco, and at shoprite they don't even know what one is. RD won't have prime, but I've had very good luck with the "Superior Angus"... you just need to spend some time looking for a good one.

There are multiple threads on how to get a RD membership, so I won't repeat them. But one membership avenue which is rarely mentioned is if you are affiliated with a non-profit and can produce a copy of their sales and use tax exemption form (Form ST-5) you can get a membership for the non-profit and thereby a card for yourself (as a purchaser for that org).

Thanks for the responses. I'll give RD a look once I get a membership that gets me access.

On a related note, if all these stores are selling flats then where are all the points? What are they being used for? How come no one sells just the point?

Back