local favorites

BrooklynQ said:
Whoops - I meant cane sugar.:biggrin::tongue:

Not to nit pic here, but I went up to the local grocer and got a bottle of Mexican Coke. It had a sticky label attached (to appease labeling requirements of the US I assume) and it said it contained corn syrup. My bubble is now bursted. At least we can still by sugar in the raw here.

Coke and peanuts. I use to serve them back when I was a soda jerk at Baker's Drug Store in Caney, Kansas. We also use to eat Moon Pies with RC Cola. And sometimes we would go out to the garage and use a nail to poke a little hole in the bottle cap of an RC and then shake up the stuff and let it fizz into our mouths. You could also squirt it at friends but then you got less Coke to drink.

Went to Kentucky one time. Anybody know if they still sell Ale 8?

Kevin said:
Not to nit pic here, but I went up to the local grocer and got a bottle of Mexican Coke. It had a sticky label attached (to appease labeling requirements of the US I assume) and it said it contained corn syrup. My bubble is now bursted. At least we can still by sugar in the raw here.

Last time I bought Mexican coke was back in April when I was in Texas and the label still said cane sugar. I even brought some of it home with me because of it. Maybe they've changed since then?

bittertruth said:
Texas*** Frito pie, there is a whole thread devoted to this one. a must at all High school foootball games.

North Carolina*** Brunswick Stew, you can find it at various places throughout the Carolinas. the best can be found cooking in a local Garage by a guy usually named Junior or skeeter!

I thought brunswick stew was a Georgia thing?!! Brunswick, GA just had their annual Stewbulee (SP?), and we might participate next year. Anyway, in the deep south, I love boiled peanuts and fresh watermellon bought off the side of the road, a good crawfish boil, fried catfish on fridays during Lent, and a big fried oyster/shrimp po-boy with a cold Abita Amber.

Just a start!

nmayeux said:
I thought brunswick stew was a Georgia thing?!! Brunswick, GA just had their annual Stewbulee (SP?), and we might participate next year. Anyway, in the deep south, I love boiled peanuts and fresh watermellon bought off the side of the road, a good crawfish boil, fried catfish on fridays during Lent, and a big fried oyster/shrimp po-boy with a cold Abita Amber.

Just a start!

Not at all Brunswick Stew, goes from Va to Ga with all of them claiming to be the first to make it. The best is made with bunny and chicken.

Trout_man22 said:
Not at all Brunswick Stew, goes from Va to Ga with all of them claiming to be the first to make it. The best is made with bunny and chicken.

My brother makes Brunswick Stew with squirrel.
I aint eatin that either.

Trout_man22 said:
Right you are Trout. There has been a long "gentlemanly, intellectual discussion" about the origian of Brunswick Stew-- :roll:

The best IS made with Thumper and a couple of yard birds. My grandmother always insisted on a couple of squirrel's too. I grew up west of Brunswick, Ga. and it was standard fare for us. When I was living in North Fla. in the 60's, we made 80 gallon pots of it for community events--unless we were doing a fish fry with fresh Mullet.

thanks for all this great information! what about something i heard about called beer cheese, or beer cheese soup? anybody ever heard about this? how do you make it?
phil

I heard of head cheese.

Great stuff

Boil a cows head till the meat comes off, then let the fats solidfy and harden

Yums

rookiedad said:
thanks for all this great information! what about something i heard about called beer cheese, or beer cheese soup? anybody ever heard about this? how do you make it?
phil

Used to make it, Jeff Smith (remimber him) showed us how on his PBS show

Trout_man22 said:
Used to make it, Jeff Smith (remimber him) showed us how on his PBS show

He touched boys, and I'm not talking about his beloved "Craig"

Kevin said:

You bought it in Minnesota? Mexican Coke? Hmmm.

I am pretty close to the border, my stuff has cane sugar, as does the stuff I get while in MX. I'll look in to this though.

G$ said:
You bought it in Minnesota? Mexican Coke? Hmmm.

I am pretty close to the border, my stuff has cane sugar, as does the stuff I get while in MX. I'll look in to this though.

The grocery stores around here have developed some well stocked Mexican sections in the last few years. Lots of dried peppers and spices that were not available in the area in the past. It's quite possible that they put regular Coke in a Mexican Coke bottle and market it as Mexican Coke to us.

Kevin said:
The grocery stores around here have developed some well stocked Mexican sections in the last few years. Lots of dried peppers and spices that were not available in the area in the past. It's quite possible that they put regular Coke in a Mexican Coke bottle and market it as Mexican Coke to us.

More info!

From the Mexico Edition of the Miami Herald:
As far as a decision to switch sweeteners, Casimiro said that such a change would come from the 13 Coca-Cola bottlers in Mexico, not from the company headquarters. Coca-Cola provides the concentrated syrup for the drink, and leaves decisions regarding water and sweetener largely up to the bottlers.

Long story short, a recent ruling from WTO on the legality of the US tax on corn sweetenres has drastically changed the cost of using these corn syrups versus 'native' cane sugar. So, it appears some MX bottlers have moved to corn syrup while others still use cane. Buyer Beware! All that I have seen in my area and in my trips across the border are still cane based.

Back