Life Span Of Higher Cost Pellet Cookers

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I'm hoping to get five full years of life out of My Pit Boss Austin XL. Retailed $500 I paid $249 06-2021. Talked to a friend and his Green MTN died during a Labor Day Brisket cook. The only hiccup in ELEVEN YEARS. (He had 4 hours smoking on the Brisket and did a Harry Soo oven finish and said it was one of his best briskets-ever)

Mak-Yoder-RT-Top Line Traeger, custom makers etc

From low end to high end Pellet Cookers are electrical and mechanical.
What are your expectations on longevity

Another observation

It's interesting to me that folks will buy an offset cooker and strive for thin blue dang near invisible clean smoke. However they purchase a Pellet Cooker that achieves this thin blue invisible clean smoke efficiently and quickly, then they want to see smoke billowing.

Something to ponder
#gooutsideandcooksomething

my 2017 Mak 2* shows no signs of let up, may out last me. My partner has a cheap traeger, it is even older his is still going strong but he is considering turning it in for a newer model.

I recently purchased a Pit Boss 700 (bare bones Classic model). $314 all in. Pit Boss seems to have enough faith to give it a 5yr warranty so I'll go with that. Any extra time is just a bonus.

My FEC100 is a 2012 model I purchased in 2014. Needed to replace the auger motor a few years back and the hotrod just went out.

Also, since I keep it outside all year long, rain/snow/ice/heat/freezing, the plastic for the controller keypad cracked and water get in there, had to replace a 12v PS and the LCD display is almost unreadable. Had I kept it covered or replaced it earlier, probably wouldn't have had the issue, so that one is on me.

Thinking of replacing the Cookshack IQ4 controller with a WiFi PID controller.

Another observation

It's interesting to me that folks will buy an offset cooker and strive for thin blue dang near invisible clean smoke. However they purchase a Pellet Cooker that achieves this thin blue invisible clean smoke efficiently and quickly, then they want to see smoke billowing.

Something to ponder

I'll get white smoke as it's first starting up and getting to temp. After that, If I see smoke billowing out of mine, I know there is an issue with the fire and it's time to go out there and check it.

My RT 590 comes with a 4 year warranty. I figure most things that mess up (from what I hear) are fairly simple fixes. So hopefully 7 or 8 years. After that I consider the time bonus. I do hope to get a little more longevity out of it, but main reason I spent a little more than on a Pit Boss or something like that is to not be as concerned with flame outs and over night cooks.

Good point! My $400 something Pitboss 820 has only been going for 8 1/2 years. We will see? I would hope all things considered, a high price one would last ten plus if you make sure it is taken care of. I have only replaced an ignitor on mine. However, the grease pan groove on the end has a small hole rusted in it so I will address that in the near future. I probably need to take it apart and clean off the fan to make sure the air flow is at max but I haven't yet.

I had a memphis Pro and absolutely loved it. Insold which was biggest mistake of like. I reached out to guy who I sold it to last year and said still going strong and smokes/grills on it 4 days a week. I was friends with a local supplier and paid $2200 for it at time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Yoder YS640. Other than some surface rust in a few areas it's been rock solid. I actually bought the thing used in 2018. 6 years, going strong and never failed me. I upgraded to the "new" ACS controller a couple years ago along with the ceramic igniter and it's been even more kick arse. New controller is amazing (wifi) but even with old controller it ran like a champ.

I feel like I'm barely breaking it in like a Cummins diesel. No complaints!

Another observation

Something to ponder

Some people actually complain about that.:wacko:

I only use my mak 1* about once a month and I keep it kind of clean. I expect it to last 10 years.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I bought an Assassin 36in a few years back Built pretty solid. Tinkered with it by adding a larger pellet hopper and changed the controller and upgraded the auger innards. Although it didn't need it. Happy with it. Don't see many around.

Another observation

Something to ponder

I’m nearly convinced at this point those are people who are never ever happy about anything! I started with a GMG (sold it but it’s still going) and moved to MAK and have never once thought there was a lack of smoke.

With a lifetime warranty I'm hoping my MAK outlives me.

Unfortunately I can find nothing wrong with this post… (sigh)

I’m nearly convinced at this point those are people who are never ever happy about anything! I started with a GMG (sold it but it’s still going) and moved to MAK and have never once thought there was a lack of smoke.

Thin blue smoke from a stick burner actually does provide a lot of flavor....the difference between burning whole splits vs compressed sawdust I guess. Pellet grills have to billow (comparatively) to lay down some smoke flavor due to the way the pellets are burned...it's a comparison between two completely different things really.

I know my Shirley is running good when there's either TBS or just heat coming out the stack. I liked my Mak best when it was sending smoke signals to the next town over.

rec-tec-fire-pot.jpg

vs

Jambo-smoker-1-1024x799.jpg

Last edited:
Another observation

Something to ponder

This ^^^^.......One of the reasons I bought a pellet cooker. That, and my kids were little and it wasn't practical to stay up all night throwing sticks for dinner the next day. I loved my offset that I built with my own two hands.

But, I expect my Yoder YS640 will last forever. I bought it from a Brethren in 2016 for ~$1,500. She's a 2014 model. It just took a chit on me a couple weeks ago. Had to do buy a thermocouple and do the relocation kit. Cost me $49 bucks and about 30 minutes of time. I could have bought the ACS update for $500, but I don't need the fancy wifi crap with Fireboard. Hell, the only temp device I use is my turbo green Thermapen. It works just fine at whatever temp I set it.

Haven't looked back in 6 years and don't plan to.....

My Rectec 680 is I think 9 years old. The controller died last year so I updated with the newer Wi-Fi version. There is some surface rust but nothing that’s going to cause issues for many years even if I ignored it.

Ive Had my PB 820 i bought at least 5 years ago. I keep it over a covered porch. Not a spec of rust other then the heat baffle which is expected. To this day it is my go to with the addition of a smoke daddy heavy D stick burning heat diffuser. Add a couple chunks or sticks of post oak, set to 300F and you got yourself a stick burner you can get 3-4 hours of smoke, then drop temp and do a set and forget overnight cook.

Back