Liability Insurance To Compete (Not Vend)?

Where is Thom Emery when we need him??

I lifted this response from the CBBQA site on the subject.

Hello Everyone,
This is your Bay Area BBQ Championship contact-Jennifer. This being a first time event and being held in conjunction with an A's game is raising many great questions which I hope to answer. If I do not answer them, please feel free to contact me directly at (510)759-1271. We want 32 happy teams participating so we are happy to work with you all. Here are some answers to some questions that are coming up:

Event Insurance: Since this is the first of its kind pro-cookoff in conjunction with Major League Baseball and the Oakland A's they have asked us-the event sponsor- to be sure that each team has some form of general liability insurance. You do not need to purchase any special insurance as long as in your personal or professional life you have some form of general liability coverage. Each team will also be covered under our own Special Event Insurance. The A's want to see how this event materialized this year and would like to make this an annual event so I understand they are being cautious. That said, please DO NOT let the whole idea of insurance scare you away. I am sure most teams already have some form of insurance that will qualify. We will work with each team directly to make sure this is the case.

Power: We are happy to reduce the fee for power ($25 for teams that need very little, and $50 for teams that need moderate). This obviously is hard to gauge so I will put it to the honor system for you to tell us what your needs are.

Event layout: This is an Advanced Ticket Sales only event with a maximum of 3,500 people (also per the agreement with the A's since we are having the event in the Coliseum lot the day of an A's double header). There will be a live stage show, including a Throwdown with the Facebook Culinary Team vs a yet to be named competitor). The final judges will be made up of CBJs, local Celebrities (food critics, foodies, athletes, tv personalities, etc) and VIPS. The preliminary judges are made up of our community partners that work with our agency (CVS, IKON Office Solutions, the Safeway Foundation, etc). So we will be able to tell teams participating in PC ezactly how many people will be attending the event as every person must pre-purchase their ticket packages (operationally we have been setting this up since June 2010).

PC: The PC winner gets $500 and the runner up gets $250. We are really looking forward to having many teams participate in PC as there will be many food industry people at the event as well as many foster children, youth and parents who have never had the opportunity to experience an event like this. We have worked out with Alameda County that teams participating in PC that are willing to donate the food they are vending, the $132 fee will be waived. You may also collect all your PC tickets and turn them in for a tax write off of $1 each.

Hopefully this has answered some of the recurring questions. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with your Bay Area BBQ Championship questions. Please check the event website regulary www.bayareabbq.org, as it is updated daily with new developments.
Sincerely,
Jennifer Harper, M.A.,M.B.A.
(510)759-1271 jharper@afs4kdis.org

Looks like the Giants are on the road, guess I'll be sittin' by the pool in Sebastopol!

The problem seems to be the entry fee vs payout and the failure of the contest to realize that a contest like this will cost a cooking team over a 1000 dollars to do. There is no additional income going into the prize pool, it all comes from entry fees. This contest might get some teams to sign up because its a high profile venue but further planning is needed.

Bay Area BBQ Championship

Hello BBQ Brethren Forum,

As mentioned in my previous post working with Major League Baseball, the Oakland A's and the County of Alameda has created some very unique circumstances for this event. We are working with each and every team and certainly know and appreciate the time, energy, dedication and money that goes into each of these events.

I invite you to visit the event website at www.bayareabbq.org or conatact me directly with specific event questions as there are a variety of ways that teams can recoup their costs in this event outside of the prize pool and all of the team's entry fees goes directly back to the teams. Our agency, Alternative Family Services (www.afs4kids.org) does not intend on using the teams as a revenue stream. Quite the opposite, we want this event to be a great showcase for competitive BBQ as we have invited many food industry contact (chefs, critics, columnists, etc.) and the event will receive media attention.

This event has generated a lot of positive energy and has also raised questions as there are many details that are not typical of other events. Thank you for your time and please feel free to contact me directly at (510)759-1271 or at jharper@afs4kids.org to answer any Bay Area BBQ Championship questions.

Thanks,
Jennifer Harper

Brian, Thom doesn't come north beyond Santa Maria, I think he doesn't consider us to be a part of the same state :becky: (at least I think he wishes it wasn't)

If I were a professional caterer or professional BBQ team, this would be an event I would certainly consider. Maybe you pro's ought to come on out, so I can visit ya'lls.

I just happen to talk to my agent today. For $20 a month I've got liability and coverage on all my gear with a $250 deductible. This doesn't cover vending but some peace of mind for sure.

Wow. I used about 80 gallons at my last event. (Yes, including showers for 4 people and dishwashing.)

An event with that kind of entry fee should have a 15-20k price pool.

In the NE, Norwalk is one of the most expensive events, but they throw in a lobster dinner for the teams (sorry Skip), have a 20k prize pool, and have about 15 different contests you can enter, not just the 4 KCBS meats. Oh, and water is included.

Just got to wait for the tide to come in and then go out and presto... site is clean :p

So, in that case, would a copy of my homeowners policy be sufficient?

Do you have a minimum amt of liability that you must have. Your homeowners policy would cover you for your liability as long as this is not a business for you. I would recommend a umbrella policy for everyone. They are not that expensive.

I just happen to talk to my agent today. For $20 a month I've got liability and coverage on all my gear with a $250 deductible. This doesn't cover vending but some peace of mind for sure.

I have $1,000,000 liability coverage and coverage for my trailer for my catering/concessions business for what they quoted you.

First off I think the insurance requirement is totally ridiculous. Especially if you are not vending. I'm sure they are thinking it will release them from any liability. Also IMO the entry fee and purse ratio is WAY off. I for one wouldn't even consider that contest. I'd rather find two contests with $150-$175 entry fees instead. Shop around, that contest isn't going to pay off. The insurance cost for $1,000,000 liability would be around $300 per year. That is a awful big addition to your overhead in a contest that has such a low purse.

There is a lot of discussion going on about this competition over on the CBBQA board and there seems to be some assumptions going on in terms of the idea that the teams are mostly going to be professional teams that have insurance in place already, or that most teams would be inclined to use their homeowners insurance in lieu of professional insurance and the representative of the organizer is trying to clarify that the prize pool is just one source of compensation, as there will be vending opportunities and tax benefits as well.

I think it could end up being a very good event if you are a medium sized catering or vending company. I think the assumption that most BBQ teams are in some way professionals will limit the teams that can make an event like this pay off. But, I certainly give them kudos for trying to do something interesting and for getting out there to clarify as much as possible.

I am going to be interested to see who competes and if the list represent the cream of the crop of CA or Bay Area competitive BBQ.

I need to know if we are out of line with our cook off. We have a $125. entry fee that includes, free electric, free water, free ice, entry in all four meat categories, dessert category, free pork butts for our People's Choice category and entry into our Friday night Cook's Choice category. We also give away free home made ice cream for the cook's at our cook's midnight swim party, at the city pool. Our cash prizes total $5,000.00 which is just $600 under this contest. Should we be rethinking our entry fee?

I need to know if we are out of line with our cook off. We have a $125. entry fee that includes, free electric, free water, free ice, entry in all four meat categories, dessert category, free pork butts for our People's Choice category and entry into our Friday night Cook's Choice category. We also give away free home made ice cream for the cook's at our cook's midnight swim party, at the city pool. Our cash prizes total $5,000.00 which is just $600 under this contest. Should we be rethinking our entry fee?
That entry fee is definately not out of line.

We'd cook it if we could. What sanctioning body?

I'd love to see an entry fee and contest like that around here........dont change your fees just because someone in CA is doing it that way!!! If you can make it work that way(with current entry fee) I'd say leave it for the sake of your local competitors

I have to be honest with you:

If there were contests like that local to me, I'd cook them every week. Well done.

That isn't out of line at all, and is a little on the low side for the KC / KS area. I've heard nothing but great things about the Yates Center contest, and if I didn't have 2 contests on my schedule for July (solo competitor) I'd come there in a heartbeat for that.

First of all I think we have two issues here.

The contest fee structure is so out of line IMHO that I would put the poster up just to show my team what to avoid.

The insurance part has me thinking. As a stick burnner, I can't count how many times I've had to warn people off to stay away from my Lang. I even got into arguments over it more than once!!! I'll be on the phone with my agent this morning.

I wish I could find a contest around here for that price!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Back