Liability Insurance To Compete (Not Vend)?

Water is $1.25/gal in advance, or $2.00/gal at the event

Wow. I used about 80 gallons at my last event. (Yes, including showers for 4 people and dishwashing.)

An event with that kind of entry fee should have a 15-20k price pool.

In the NE, Norwalk is one of the most expensive events, but they throw in a lobster dinner for the teams (sorry Skip), have a 20k prize pool, and have about 15 different contests you can enter, not just the 4 KCBS meats. Oh, and water is included.

For an event that has the A's as a sponsor, and an excellent charity connected to it, I am amazed at how poorly it is organized and the lack of contributions to offset some of the costs.

I would add, in terms of comp sites, the Coliseum would really not be my choice.

There is a regrettable tendency of late for some events to stick the teams for whatever they can, and count on filling their spots with inexperienced teams who don't know any better. Teams that put up with that treatment will be getting more of it.

The fact is that there's no contest without the teams, and they deserve a bit more than funding their own prize pool. There will be a minimum of $10,400 taken in entry fees if they get their max 32 teams for a California ToY IBCA event, and only half of that is coming back? And they expect income from PC sales as well?

It'd be easier to just all stand in a circle in the parking lot, pass a $100 bill around the circle, and then all go home without the expense, mess and wear-and-tear of cooking.

They're probably planning on charging the general public admission as well.

I fear that insurance, vending permits & health department requirements are the unfortunate wave of the future as BBQ events receive more publicity and local governments seek new ways to try and fill their empty coffers.

Almost every call or email I get from a potential organizer seeking help starts with some variation of "We thought a BBQ comp would make a great fundraiser for (insert cause here)" when asked where the revenue would be generated from their first answer is always "The entry fees".

Liability

The liability portion of a Homeowner's, Condo, or Renter's policy generaly covers the insured both on and off the named address. You may want to check your specific policy for restrictions. If your outfit/team is a business, liability for that must be obtained.

For Example:

Your golfing at a public range and you accidentally lose your club on your backswing and end up nailing another party causing $30,000.00 dollars damage to the other party's face plus an ambulance ride. If he sues you becuase you cannot control your clubs, your covered.

Long Tong, I would generally agree with you about the insurance aspect of this. Sadly, I am all to familiar with dealings in Alameda County and this part of Oakland in specific. I have done many projects in this area and know folks that have done plenty as well. My warning is that I would not want to get into a worse case scenario where my homeowners insurance is at risk for a public access event in this area. And yes, I have done work at this facility, we designed several of the amenities this site. And I do have a bad taste for the management, tenants and county as a result of it.

Slamdunkpro, to be honest, if I was going to vend or cater in CA, I would be very sure to have insurance and pay for all my fees that would insure that I have health department inspections, at least so I can point to the certificates.

Its an IBCA event. www.bayareabbq.org

The CBBQA raises funds for childrens charities. But I also notice they sock you for a membership fee to take some of their classes. When I asked out loud in another thread, I was told it was for insurance reasons.

When I started reading this thread, I got angry about where we are heading as a society, so I took a few moments to calm myself, examine the facts, and I came back with a fresh perspective.

And now I am twice as angry.

Its an IBCA event. www.bayareabbq.org

The CBBQA raises funds for childrens charities. But I also notice they sock you for a membership fee to take some of their classes. When I asked out loud in another thread, I was told it was for insurance reasons.

All those considering cooking this should pitch in 25 bucks and give it direct to a children's charity, find a member's house and do a rib contest instead. Grand prize is an Alameda County Tax Collector's Ribbon.

It represents better "EV" and doesn't reward this kind of thinking.

It is called the "Bay Area BBQ Championship", an ICBA, CBBQA ToY event held at the Oakland Coliseum...Yup, the same place Raider fans tailgate and pre-game most Sunday's in the fall.

I also questioned the cost of the event...$250 to enter (early bird if you sign up 4 months early, $285 after that), $75 for 20amp power, plus costs for extra parking, ice etc etc. I was told they are modeling the cost after the HavaBBQ. Unfortunately, with a total purse of $5600, they didn't model the payout schedule after HavaBBQ's $14,000 cash payout.

Insurance will only add to the cost to compete.

If it wasn't a ToY event I wouldn't even consider it, but it is close to home so it is tempting. But so far, not impressed.

Money raised does go to a good charity, I just don't think they should be raising it from the teams competing. :roll:

We did Havasu last year and I don't recall having to show any kind of coverage. Is HavaBBQ asking for it ths year, I havn't seen the entry form yet.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. The insurance requirement isn't modeled after Havasu...just the cost structure of the event. Meaning the organizer really didn't know what to charge teams to enter, so they looked at what it cost to enter HavaBBQ and went from there. But again, they didn't model their payout schedule.

The children's charity is no doubt a good one. And I have no problem doing charity work. I just don't think that the teams should be the ones providing the majority of the fundraising.

Here's another weird thing about this contest. If you do decide to pony up the $132 to vend at the 50/50 split, PC runs from 10am till Noon. Yup, right in the middle of turn ins (chicken at 9:30, ribs 10:30, pork 11:30 and brisket 12:30). Two hours to vend, and right in the middle of turning in your entries to the judges.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. The insurance requirement isn't modeled after Havasu...just the cost structure of the event. Meaning the organizer really didn't know what to charge teams to enter, so they looked at what it cost to enter HavaBBQ and went from there. But again, they didn't model their payout schedule.

The children's charity is no doubt a good one. And I have no problem doing charity work. I just don't think that the teams should be the ones providing the majority of the fundraising.

Here's another weird thing about this contest. If you do decide to pony up the $132 to vend at the 50/50 split, PC runs from 10am till Noon. Yup, right in the middle of turn ins (chicken at 9:30, ribs 10:30, pork 11:30 and brisket 12:30). Two hours to vend, and right in the middle of turning in your entries to the judges.

Thanks for the clarification, Sound like a "pass" contest to me....

I too would tell them so keep the event that I would be going elsewhere.... and tell them why.

I may be a little paranoid, but I have looked into liability insurance for competing. Here is why. As you know, so many people will sue over anything . If a person wanders into your site, stumbles, falls, get a scratch (or worse), they can sue you for whatever reason. I have my L.L.C. now, and if I had not wrecked the truck and trailer, was going to add a $2,000,000 liability policy to cover just the comps side. This does two fold. The L.L.C. covers my personal property, and the insurance covers my hind end if someone does get stupid. The policy here was like just under $300 a year.

I was also told, that as long as my trailer was hooked to the truck, the truck policy liability insurance would cover. ???? I am still a little not sure if they were to fall/hit something else besides the truck or trailer....

But, I would tell the organizer to not be offended if you did not come. All the events that I have been to, you have not had to buy electric, water was provided, and the entry fee was $250 with more payout that that.....

It is just the case that the organizers have not clearly thought out the process of putting together a charity event. I know some of the CBBQA folks that have had some input and I think their involvement has helped to make this happen at all. But, it seems to me, as a person that has been involved in charity fundraisers, that there is a disconnect and the folks putting this event together are missing a few of the pieces.

I remember a few years back, a group wanted to put a BBQ comp together at the Fairgrounds, and the folks organizing it just could not get it together. I was asked to input, as I was involved with a horse charity ( I always said, I hate horses, but I love riding equestriennes) and most of the points I made fell on deaf ears. BBQ comps are a unique enterprise, I would like to see one happen out here. But, this one seems to be limping right now.

A year of liability to $1,000,000 for vending in CA is somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 if it is your primary business.

If you look at post #11 on this link, you will see the answers the organizer contact is offering up.

Welcome to tha Bay Area BBQ Championship

Hello BBQ Brethren,

I want to introduce myself and the Bay Area BBQ Championship (www.bayareabbq.org) to you all. Alternative Family Services (www.afs4kids) has been working with the IBCA and Major League Baseball's Oakland Athletics since June 2010 to create this unique competiiton at the Oakland Coliseum on July 16, 2011 prior to the A's double header against the LA Angels. It is a private event with a maximum attendance of 3,500 people. Certified judges, celebrities and local VIPs will make up the final judging seats.

Working with Major League Baseball and the Oakland A's has created some different criteria than many teams are used to so I wanted to clear up any miscommunications and answer any of your questions. The A's are requiring two things in the area of insurance:
1) We the event sponsor will purchase special event insurance to cover ALL aspects of the event including People's Choice, teams, attendees, entertainers, etc.
2) Each team or team captain must have some form of general liability insurance in their personal or professional life that in case a team member is injured or their equipment is damaged the team will not sue the A's or Major League Baseball. Teams are NOT required to purchase any additional or special insurance.

We are also happy to work with each and every team in regards to insurance, rate reductions (specifically around power) and we have created a variety of ways for teams to recoup their costs.

Please contact me directly at (510)759-1271 or at jharper@afs4kids.org if you have any Bay Area BBQ Championship questions and of course we invite any of you to be one of the 32 teams facing off in this event.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Harper, M.A., M.B.A.
Director of Development and Marketing
Alternative Family Services & Bay Area BBQ Championship

If that comp fills up with teams you can bet other comps will follow. I have the copverage but only because I have a business.

Back