Lets Talk Prime Rib

I like my rib roasts with just a little oil, salt, pepper, and cayenne. And, please, please don't dump the fat drippings...you need those for the Yorkshire pudding. You can't have a rib roast without Yorkshire pudding!
I'll be in Mary Esther, by the way :)

We've had good success cooking the roast to 125, then having a hot grill pan on the stove (or a kettle if outside) and grilling slices for about a minute or two for those that want there beef medium or well. Also, make sure your thermometer is calibrated and you are cooking at a low temperature (275 or less). A properly cooked rib roast has an appetizing bright pink color throughout.

X2...Always do this for those who like thiers more "done"

lube it up...season it...sear it in pan then roast @225 until internal temp is where you want it

Last year I cooked a big ole prime at 200 - the internal temp didn't move too quickly for quite awhile, but the last 20 or so degrees came a lot more quickly - point being, if you see the temp moving slowly at first - or not at all - don't panic, it'll get there. Of course, throw an oven thermometer or something in your cooker to verify the temp you're cooking at.

That was the experience I had last year - your mileage may vary!

I followed the advice for my first prime rib from a video from Dr. BBQ and it turned out perfect. Here's the link -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5GYpyKHdo

I prefer boneless and the only step I omitted was the seasoned salt. I seasoned mine as he did with Worcestershire and Montreal Steak. Cooked it on the Cypress at 325-350 and pulled it when the temps were 125-130. Heck, I even bought the knife he uses in the video! Here's a pic of the prime rib -

DSCN4365_crop.jpg

My thanks to the good Dr. for the excellent advice in his video. We'll be doing another one on Christmas day.

-lunchman

Great ideas

Thanks. I am new here and just want to say I see a bunch of good tips. Thirdeye that looks great. I need to try and cook one of these. I have prime rib at the firehouse all the time, but you don't get those little pockets that you have. The grain looks different. I would think that comes from salting and maybe low temps. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Okay...don't shoot the messenger here boys.

Not my first Prime Rib but trying to plan the Prime Rib for Christmas day I did a significant amount of looking around (mostly here) and most all are pretty much in agreement with what been posted here in this thread. Me too...well sort-of, I guess.

I followed this recipe exactly and all adults at Christmas table said it was best PR they'd ever had.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html

This is a great read no matter what your views on techniques.

In a nut-shell:

I bought a whole 7 bone roast.
Butcher de-boned and cut bones in half for me.
I trimmed the Strip end of the roast by 2 bones.
Then trimmed A LOT of the fat, silverskin off.
Tied to make round, even tubular roast.
Salted for 24 hours.
Seasoned w/ salt free rub for another 24 hrs.
Cooked on the Kettle at about 250 until I got to 115*
Then over direct heat w/lid open until we got to about 135 internal.
Served as fast as I could from grill to plate (still took a few minutes with other stuff)

It turned out really good. Other PRs I've done pretty close to what was stated earlier and they were darn good too.

More than one way to skin a cat...

Back