THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neil said:
Can your sauce. Place in mason canning jars and boil for 45 minutes with lids on but do not tighten completely. After you take them out, you will hear the lids seal on the jar as they start to cool because of the vaccuum that is created by the temperature change. After the lids get "sucked down on the jar finger tighten the cap ring.

I always make a big batch of sauce when I smoke a brisket. I boil the Dr. Pepper marinade then add ketchup, vinegar, sautee'd onions and garlic, japs, habs, and chili powder.

I put my jars in a pressure canner @ 10lbs for 45 minutes..........some have lasted more than a year on the shelf......might last longer!:biggrin:

jpw23 said:
I make my own sauce and manage to sell a few jars to a couple of local rib houses and a couple of grocery stores...........my sauces are thin.,..for easy mopping, and have all of what you described above...brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, mustard. Heres an easy recipe
4 cup ketchup
4 cups brown sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 large onion ( chopped fine )
1 clove garlic ( chopped fine )
2 tbsp worst.sauce
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp cinnimon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 can of beer

mix together in large pot
bring to boil ( stirring constantly )
reduce volume by 1/3 or when sauce burps out of the pot and burns you....then its done!:biggrin:
I put together a Carolina style sauce last summer here in the flat lands of Kansas. Wanted a little shock value as folks around are used to the thick sweet sauces. I used 3 cups cider vinegar, 1 cups ketchup,2 tsp kosher salt , 2 tbsp brown sugar, little over 1 tsp red pepper flakes. Wisked it all together to disolve sugar and salt, let sit in the fridge for couple hours , put into a squeeze bottle and let er rip. Lot of folks had'nt ever had any thing like it but loved it . It really complemented the pulled pork I did.

Hoorenga said:
I just discovered that you can buy ketchup in gallon cans for a lot cheaper than the large 64 oz jugs.

That's too funny Hoo. My latest goofy idiosyncrasy to agravate my bride is my new collection of "giant cans" or #10 cans, you referred to as gallon cans. I've found Franks Kraut, Heinz Ketchup, Hunts Tomatoe Sauce and Paste, Bush's Baked Beans, and all kinds of other stuff in the "Giant Cans". I'm sure the guys that shop at restaraunt depot have seen many others.
You are right. The price is kind of unbelievable. Very inexpensive if you're used to paying retail for the consumer size. My bride thinks I'm nuts, but I just don't do small batches. I dug up this thread and did a cut and paste on all of the suggestions for sauces. Gonna try em all with a little of my own twists. May be too cold and snowy to que every day, but I can still play with sauces.

Back