THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

parrothead said:
That sounds like a rash or something. "I heard Parrothead came down with a nasty case of Elvii".

"I am not a Dr. but I play one on TV" Mod

Alright. Ya got me.

Mofo,
Congrats.
In only 30 posts you mastered not only the "mod", but also how to shoot your own thread to hell and back.

Welcome brother.

parrothead said:
but also how to shoot your own thread to hell and back.
This from a master, is the greatest of compliments, mofo. LMAO

Greg, remember you were like 600 posts less than me, and you actually thought you might catch up one day. Bah ha ha.

If I had a gun I'd be the Postmaster General.

Back on page 1, Greg and Bigmo suggest the use of ketchup as a base for homade sauce. Any particular brand work well for this? Bigmo, good tip on the sticking with one brand. I wouldn't have thought of this and been pissed when I couldn't replicate something I thought was good.

I always used brooks. No more store bought though after I get the homemade version down.

Brooks may not be available all over. I think it might be a store brand or something local. Don't know for sure, but it was cheaper, and a little better.

I have had a LOT of luck with this sauce. I thin some of it and use it as a mop and my babybacks slay them in their chairs.

Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bbq Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 large Onion -- chopped
4 Cloves garlic -- chopped
2 cups Ketchup
1/3 cup Vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Brown sugar -- packed
3/4 cup Molasses
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 tablespoon Salt
1/4 cup Tomato paste
2 teaspoons Liquid Barbecue Smoke
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce -- to taste
1/2 cup to 1 gallon <g> Jack Daniels Whiskey

Combine onion, garlic and bourbon in a 3 qt saucepan. Saute until onion and
garlic are translucent, about 10 min. Flame if possible. Add all remaining
ingredients, bring to boil, then turn down mixture to a medium simmer.
Simmer for 20 min. stirring constantly. Run through strainer if you want a
smooth sauce. Makes 4 cups.

Try Sodium Free Heinz, then you add your own sodium to taste.

Now that is a good suggetion. I am going to give that a try. I like the idea of controling the sodium. And I am with Parrothead, no more store bought sauce once I get my homemade version down.

I read this thread looking for some idea how long your homemade sauce will keep in the fridg,not being sealed like the store bought.I have been making one bottle at a time for personal use,but would like to make some a head.I'm not ready for prime time yet,not planning on selling it.

Can your sauce. Place in mason canning jars and boil for 45 minutes with lids on but do not tighten completely. After you take them out, you will hear the lids seal on the jar as they start to cool because of the vaccuum that is created by the temperature change. After the lids get "sucked down on the jar finger tighten the cap ring.

I always make a big batch of sauce when I smoke a brisket. I boil the Dr. Pepper marinade then add ketchup, vinegar, sautee'd onions and garlic, japs, habs, and chili powder.

MrSmoker said:
I read this thread looking for some idea how long your homemade sauce will keep in the fridg,not being sealed like the store bought.I have been making one bottle at a time for personal use,but would like to make some a head.I'm not ready for prime time yet,not planning on selling it.

Send me a small sample and I will put my acid tester in it. If it is a high enough Ph, it won't need to be put in the fridg. If it is not high enough Ph, you can add an acid ( vinegar ect. ) and then balance the tartness by adding some sweet.

try some balsamic vinegar in bbq sauce, and if you want to substitute the ketchup with something or make your own ketchup you can't use tomatoe sauce, you have to use paste to get the right consistancy. also, try some tamarind puree. enjoy!
phil

spicewine said:
Send me a small sample and I will put my acid tester in it. If it is a high enough Ph, it won't need to be put in the fridg. If it is not high enough Ph, you can add an acid ( vinegar ect. ) and then balance the tartness by adding some sweet.

What is the PH # and why not use Litmus Paper ?

4.5 or lower is recommended. Originally posted higher Ph---My bad!! Brain fart!! 4.5 is the absolute maximum for shelf stability.

I bought a digital Ph tester to use when developing new sauces. My Bottler also does this but I don't like having to change the recipe without being there to be able to make sure it is the taste that I am looking for.

For farking around I think Litmus would be fine and fairly easy to come by. no ? But trust me I like digital just can't imagine why ? :roll:

racer_81 said:
Interesting. Most everybody chiming in is talking about a KC/OK/TX style sauce, basically ketchup based with no vinegar or mustard.

Anybody from the Carolinas wanna chime in - maybe some of you mustard sauce folks, or vinegar folks or ketchup/vinegar folks?

What about some Memphisites? Ketchup/mustard/brown sugar based sauces rule there I hear.

The basic sauce I grew up (and out) on is worsey/brown sugar/cider vinegar based. Yep, it's thin,
but it brings out the flavor in mutton, chicken and pork.

mmMMMmmmm.

I make my own sauce and manage to sell a few jars to a couple of local rib houses and a couple of grocery stores...........my sauces are thin.,..for easy mopping, and have all of what you described above...brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, mustard. Heres an easy recipe
4 cup ketchup
4 cups brown sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 large onion ( chopped fine )
1 clove garlic ( chopped fine )
2 tbsp worst.sauce
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp cinnimon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 can of beer

mix together in large pot
bring to boil ( stirring constantly )
reduce volume by 1/3 or when sauce burps out of the pot and burns you....then its done!:biggrin:

Back