legal???

Teams have absolutely no control over when the meat gets to the judges. It could be from immediately to 15 minutes before the judges get the meat to judge. If a judge can't judge cold meat fairly they should do everyone a favor and stay home. Cookers invest alot of time and money competing and someone who can not judge cold meat fairly would be doing everyone a favor by staying home and not judging.

I agree with you that all meat, whether cold or hot, should be judged fairly. However, since the topic of this thread is keeping meat hot or reheating, I was making the point that it is to a competitors advantage to try as much as possible to keep the food warm. I know you have no control over how long it takes from turn in til the meat is brought to the judge. But a previous poster said that temp did not matter. I am just stating the reality that cold meat does effect the taste and texture of some entries. When you are judging texture and the pork or brisket is a bit tougher because it is cold, you must rate it on the way it is brought to you, not the way you imagined it to be when it was warm. To be honest, it is rare that I have ever had to judge cold food. It is usually warm or room temp.

I personally don't think that any clarification is necessary. Are people thinking that they "cook" over wood and "reheat" with microwaves? That "reheat" step is really cooking, and you are fooling yourself if you think otherwise. As someone Divemaster earlier, until you invent a charcoal that generates microwaves, you'd better rethink the process of getting heat in your meat. Wood or charcoal only for KCBS.

If any of you have been following the "DQ'd" thread about being DQ'd because chicken looked fried, maybe judges should DQ food that's hot because it may have been microwaved. (wow, let's see what kind of trouble I can stir up with this post!)

I personally don't think that any clarification is necessary. Are people thinking that they "cook" over wood and "reheat" with microwaves? That "reheat" step is really cooking, and you are fooling yourself if you think otherwise. As someone Divemaster earlier, until you invent a charcoal that generates microwaves, you'd better rethink the process of getting heat in your meat. Wood or charcoal only for KCBS.

If any of you have been following the "DQ'd" thread about being DQ'd because chicken looked fried, maybe judges should DQ food that's hot because it may have been microwaved. (wow, let's see what kind of trouble I can stir up with this post!)
It is necessary. I am not talking about the heating the food itself i am talking about heating up sauces on a propane stove or electric hot plate.

Been real busy the past few days and have not been able to spend much time on line but here goes.

The heat source must be wood for cooking or warming meat.

Sauce can be heated on other heat sources as long as no meat is involved in that process.

I personelly use the pit to heat sauce I don't need or want any questions raised no matter if it would be legal to do so or not.

Jim

Been real busy the past few days and have not been able to spend much time on line but here goes.

Sauce can be heated on other heat sources as long as no meat is involved in that process.

I personelly use the pit to heat sauce I don't need or want any questions raised no matter if it would be legal to do so or not.

Jim

Thanks Jim... Not sure I agree with the rule but it is what it is.

If this is the rule, seems like it is an easy fix to clarify in the rules book.

Does KCBS plan to clarify in a future edition of the rules ?

Got it. Straight forward.

Got it. Straight forward.

Jim
Ughh! If the above is true, there should be no "questions". This should get spelled out more clearly in the future.

Thanks Jim... Not sure I agree with the rule but it is what it is.

If this is the rule, seems like it is an easy fix to clarify in the rules book.

Does KCBS plan to clarify in a future edition of the rules ?

The rule states that meat must be cooked on a wood fuel source, it's pretty clear. There is no rule concerning heating or making sauce, so alt heating sources are not illegal.

There will rules meeting at the banquet in KC in Jan, you can attend the meeting or write the Board with any rule changes you would like discussed.

G$
Perception, right or wrong still must be delt with. I use the pit because I also want some smoke on the sauce.

I use the pit because I also want some smoke on the sauce.

Yup, My first comp I used a propane fueled griddle/stove to heat my sauce. We use it to cook breakfast on as well.

Now I use either my webber or put it in the smoker. I really like using the pit b/c of the little smoke it picks up.

Back