legal???

Sled, I got a black one at RD. I know it's not as good as a blue one, but...they didn't have any orange ones to match my thermopen which everybody know are the superior ones.
It was blown off the table in Dover, now I have to replace one of the latches.

we use a truck cooler works great but now i dont know if its ilegal i will have to find out

Are you referring to something similar to a Coleman Thermoelectric? If so, let me know what you find out. I'm guessing it's illegal since heat is generated through electrical power.

Are you referring to something similar to a Coleman Thermoelectric? If so, let me know what you find out. I'm guessing it's illegal since heat is generated through electrical power.
yup thats it i will call mike lake monday and find out if so it's back to blankets and the plain old cooler again..

Do whatever you want BUT....... We asked the KCBS Reps this question once and they stated that you CANNOT use anything but wood, woodpellets or charcoal to cook or reheat ANYTHING! We specifically asked about heating sauces on our propane stove or electric hotplate, the Rep gave us an emphatic NO!!(We wanted to melt chocolate for a desert in a grilling contest that used strict KCBS rules) Just remember KCBS rule #18 subtopic G which could result in being banned from competing for 2 years. For us it's not worth the risk.

Do whatever you want BUT....... We asked the KCBS Reps this question once and they stated that you CANNOT use anything but wood, woodpellets or charcoal to cook or reheat ANYTHING! We specifically asked about heating sauces on our propane stove or electric hotplate, the Rep gave us an emphatic NO!!(We wanted to melt chocolate for a desert in a grilling contest that used strict KCBS rules) Just remember KCBS rule #18 subtopic G which could result in being banned from competing for 2 years. For us it's not worth the risk.

now I am really cornfused

I was also wondering from any of the active judges out there, could they give an estimate of the time lapse between when the box hits the judges table and when the judges actually sample the product. I was thinking it might make sense when doing test cooking at home, to taste your finished product after it sets around a while, allowing time for box building, turn in, then time in the judges tent. Typically I am tasting right out of the cooler before boxing. While I would still do this, it might make sense to see what the taste is after the elapsed time, is it the same, if different,how? can the seasoning be adjusted to compensate? or maybe I am overthinking this issue.

Kinda depends. As soon as 6 boxes get to the turn in table, they work their way back to the judges. Typically, the tray of 6 turn ins goes from the front table to a table that they get re-numbered, from there the table captain takes them to their judging table.

At the judging table the table capt tells the judges what numbers to write down on their card and plate. Then the table capt opens the first box and shows it around to the judges for them to all get a good look and write down the app. score. Then the box gets closed and put back on the tray where the table capt gets the next one and does the same. After all 6 boxes are judged for app., the table capt grabs the first box and gives it to the judge to take a piece and pass it around. As soon as the first judge has the first sample, the table capt gives the next box to that judge and so on. I'd say it's about a 10 minute process just to score app.

So I'd guess about 15 minutes from the time you turn in to the time it hits the judges mouth is a good estimate - give or take a few minutes.

I was thinking it might make sense when doing test cooking at home, to taste your finished product after it sets around a while, allowing time for box building, turn in, then time in the judges tent. Typically I am tasting right out of the cooler before boxing. While I would still do this, it might make sense to see what the taste is after the elapsed time, is it the same, if different,how? can the seasoning be adjusted to compensate? or maybe I am overthinking this issue.

You are not overthinking at all - In the Judges class I attended at Oinktoberfest, the KCBS reps gave a suggestion to the cooks in the audience to do just that... Build two boxes for turn in; turn in the better one, and sample the remaining one after about 10-15 minutes.... That tells you what the judges are tasting. That should provide you a better estimate of what your meats taste like to the judges.

Being a perhaps soon to be competition cooker after about 30 years of cooking barbeque, I realize that I will have to learn the rules and so I've studied this thread carefully and come to the conclusion that it might be legal to use a microwave provided the microwave is over 18 years of age.

Am I understanding this correctly?

BTW, thanx TIM and SLED for the education! I always did do better with pictures.

No way, Jose. Wouldn't want to wilt the garnish anyway. Food temp isn't a consideration in KCBS judging. Doesn't need to be hot. Appearance, Taste, Tenderness. Temp shouldn't come into play.

My $0.02.
Aaron

temp not a consideration but the temp of the meat will affect taste to some degree
that pulled pork gets cold awful quick and brisket drys out even faster

temp not a consideration but the temp of the meat will affect taste to some degree
that pulled pork gets cold awful quick and brisket drys out even faster

No doubt, temperature does affect taste to a large degree. Do wilted greens count against the appearance?

cold Q

No way, Jose. Wouldn't want to wilt the garnish anyway. Food temp isn't a consideration in KCBS judging. Doesn't need to be hot. Appearance, Taste, Tenderness. Temp shouldn't come into play.

My $0.02.
Aaron

At Oinktoberfest I was given a comment card from a judge "Is it supposed to be frozen?" This judge didn't listen or wasn't told... and nice attitude to boot.

Way off the mark

We can all sit here and talk all the smack we want but the bottom line is that there is NOTHING that prohibits or allows one to heat up boxes, sauces or what have you in the KCBS rules. The only thing to hang your teeth on is the section about fuel and KCBS needs to clear this interpretation up.....very soon. I personally know of teams that rush inside to run their stuff in the nuke machine or use electric to heat sauce. I haven't....never would......and hope like hell KCBS will step up and address this issue. I have an RV and do use it to make a box to get away from spectators. But...if it means all boxes are prepped in the open....I'll do it if others will....

No-No-No-No. Heat can come only from wood, charcoal, or pellets. Ignition can be by gas/electric, but must be disconnected during cooking and "warming".

I personally know of teams that rush inside to run their stuff in the nuke machine or use electric to heat sauce.

Welcome... Check into cattle call when you have a moment to introduce yourself.

Have you ever reported this to the reps or communicated directly with KCBS about the problem you see happening ?

MMM... microwaved ribs... yum.

Food temp isn't a consideration in KCBS judging. Doesn't need to be hot. Appearance, Taste, Tenderness. Temp shouldn't come into play.

My $0.02.
Aaron

Temp shouldn't come into play but I am sure it does. I have discussed this with other judges in the past after turning in scores. Particularly when judging pork. Rarely do we judge anything hot. Usually warm. And occasionally cold. When you judge 5 warm samples and the the sixth one is cold- it does stand out in a negative way. It is very difficult to put the temperature aside and ignore it if you are judging other entrees that are warm. Cold meat just throws you off- it effects taste and texture. This may not seem fair, however, I do wonder why so many are able to make it to the judges table warm while others come cold. Some of you competitors are timing it right, which I believe is an advantage. So much time and resources go into competing that taking this one extra step of getting the food to the judges as warm as possible is definitely worth it.

Just remember KCBS rule #18 subtopic G which could result in being banned from competing for 2 years. For us it's not worth the risk.
It only mentions the cooker in that rule:

G. Use of gas or other auxiliary heat sources inside the
cooking device. In addition, the team and its members
will be banned from competing in KCBS events for two
years.

Its vague​

Temp shouldn't come into play but I am sure it does. I have discussed this with other judges in the past after turning in scores. Particularly when judging pork. Rarely do we judge anything hot. Usually warm. And occasionally cold. When you judge 5 warm samples and the the sixth one is cold- it does stand out in a negative way. It is very difficult to put the temperature aside and ignore it if you are judging other entrees that are warm. Cold meat just throws you off- it effects taste and texture. This may not seem fair, however, I do wonder why so many are able to make it to the judges table warm while others come cold. Some of you competitors are timing it right, which I believe is an advantage. So much time and resources go into competing that taking this one extra step of getting the food to the judges as warm as possible is definitely worth it.

Teams have absolutely no control over when the meat gets to the judges. It could be from immediately to 15 minutes before the judges get the meat to judge. If a judge can't judge cold meat fairly they should do everyone a favor and stay home. Cookers invest alot of time and money competing and someone who can not judge cold meat fairly would be doing everyone a favor by staying home and not judging.

It only mentions the cooker in that rule:

G. Use of gas or other auxiliary heat sources inside the
cooking device. In addition, the team and its members
will be banned from competing in KCBS events for two
years.

Its vague

Don't say we didn't warn you.:biggrin: Where is Jim Minion when you need him.

Back