Leg of lamb...any pointers

I marinade it in a friends greek seasonings and olive oil for at least 24 hours. Then I plop it on the smoker and cook it off just like a pork butt. I have fixed them bone in and bone out and do not see much difference. It is much easier to get the meat off the bone if you cook it first.

Arlin_MacRae said:
Is there enough fat in lamb to pull it like pork then??
There's something to be said here.
Wait, sorry, this is Q talk:icon_smil

Arlin_MacRae said:

If you get a lamb shoulder [same as a pork butt, don't ask why] it should have a good amount of fat. If doing the leg, it is iffy.

billm said:
I personally dont like to slow cook lamb..would rather grill it on the kettle or do whole lamb on the rotisserie over a bed of coals.

I agree. Its a meat that likes direct heat.

I sometimes bone and butterfly it, and maranade it over night in yogurt, fresh mint, cumin seeds, pepper and a couple of other spices in the firdge. Remove from fridge, allow to get to room temp, scrape off excess maranade and then grill over medium coals. I do tend to choose Shoulder over leg as I think it has a better flavour.

Eat with bread pockets stuffed with fresh mint, yoghurt and salad.

smokeeater said:
I happen to love lamb. The only problem is that my wife claims it smells like ass when it is cooking. I don't see (or smell) her point of view.

Have you ever been to a female gay club (lesbians)? - The 'air' always smells like Lamb!!!! It's a excited female thing!!! So you wife's not far from the truth (I'm tip-toeing trying not to get censored!!)

smokeeater said:
I happen to love lamb. The only problem is that my wife claims it smells like ass when it is cooking. I don't see
(or smell) her point of view.

Did you ask her whose ass? I use my mezzaluna knife to chop up a bunch of garlic and rosemary and then slather it all over the lamb with butter and olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste then cook it using indirect high heat on the Weber. After an initial searing for about 10 minutes at 400* shut down the vents to bring temp down to around 275* then cook to an internal temp 0f 125-130. Make sure your coals are white hot before shutting the vents down.

Arlin_MacRae said:
when we cook a whole lamb parts of it do tend to fall apart like a pork shoulder

Back