Left beef ribs out on counter by accident

Those ribs are just fine. I regularly leave a tri-tip out for that long to make sure it's at room temp before going on.

Also, they were in the safety zone when you left them out, I think you've got 4 hours outside the safety zone anyway.

So we're about 50/50 here. Has anyone ever left meat out for that long and didn't get sick? What to do... what to do...

The plan is to wait until sunday to smoke them, so they'll be sitting in the fridge for another couple days.

I once defrosted a package of chicken thighs in the microwave and forgot about them until the next day after work. Cooked them up and ate them all. No problem whatsoever.:clap2:

I take meat from meat counter at store and continue shopping(30 min), I drive all the way to my house after shopping (30-40min), I unload truck and place ribs, butt, or brisket in sink still sealed in store bought pakage and put up other groceries(30 min), I get counter cleaned and everything out and ready, mix rub, open package and trim meat, rub, put in basting pan and cover(30-40), go out and start coals, get wood ready in stick burner, add coals, wait for temp to come up to 200-225(30-45min)...

looks like i'm pushing 3-4 hours every time I cook at home. cook lots of meat, feed lots of people. Never been sick.... i'm just sayn.

Now, that being said. The book says throw it away!!!!

I would cook them and eat them. When I was in the military, When we were in the Philippines, we would kill our own dinner and it would sometimes sit on the table all day before cooking. The temp in the Philippines is high 90's. You will be okay.

I put a frozen pork loin on the counter about 9 last night , ill put it in marinade when I get home , roughly 22 hours.... But it was frozen

Cook em up... The cave men didn't have fridges back then. Also, if the Indians can cut jerky and dry it in the sun... I think you'll be ok. I would cook them up, the only thing that might bother you is the mental aspect.. Knowing you left them out etc..

the nose knows. if there's any off odor i'd toss it but 4hrs on a counter in a vac-seal bag is nothing.

If you have enough faith in supermarket meats to buy them w/o hesitation, why does 4hrs on a counter concern you? you really have no idea how that meat is or how it was handled or who was handling it. my point is that your idea of fresh from the supermarket may be a lot older than you think. i've hung deer outside for longer than 4 hours and never had an issue.

if it smells fresh, i vote to cook them up

Back