Lechon Baboy. Whole hog roast in the Philippines

pinkelephant

Full Fledged Farker
Baboy-001.jpg

This is at my wife's home in Alangalang, Leyte, Philippines (one hour from Tacloban). Everything you see was replaced after the typhoon in 2013. We came for Fiesta and are still here. Each village has a different date for fiesta. Think of it like mardi gras. A day of fasting and a day of feasting. I stashed the $650 camera before the party started so I don't have any of the party.

This is REAL pic heavy. I dumped half of the pics and added some of the town for context. I will describe the cookout and then let the pics do the talking.

We bought 2 pigs for Fiesta. The two guys in the next two pics are my brothers in law, Marlon and Monching. They butchered a hog the night before and cooked soups and BBQ with it. Then they did this cookout. Marlon is a jack of all trades. He works in the rice pattys and was elbo to elbo with me on all my home improvement projects. If it needs doing, He can get it done. I just hope teaching him how to do electrical work doesn't come back to bite him in the ass.

I started the slideshow in the middle of the set (when the coals fired up) to get to the good part. The first half is at the bottom, where they butcher the hog and get it on the bamboo. The bamboo is resting on banana tree trunks.

The guts, hooves, blood and every part of the pig was used for something. These people don't waste food.

My Canon T6 takes some learning. The blurry pics were when I deligated some picture taking while I rewired the house and she turned off the auto focus. (OMG, the wiring! One 14 guage romex with no ground for a meter loop. just a 220 hot and a common. AND the romex is molded over the wires so the stripping is a PITA. Then there are no freaking wire nuts in this country. everything is electrical taped, inside and out)

OK, back on topic, ENJOY!

Marlon
Baboy-002.jpg

Monching
Baboy-003.jpg

Baboy-004.jpg

OK, I HAD to sneak my daughter in here somewhere, didn't I??
Baboy-005.jpg

Baboy-006.jpg

Baboy-007.jpg

Baboy-008.jpg

Baboy-009.jpg

Baboy-010.jpg

Baboy-011.jpg

Baboy-012.jpg

Baboy-013.jpg

Baboy-014.jpg

Baboy-015.jpg

Baboy-016.jpg

Baboy-017.jpg

Baboy-018.jpg

Baboy-019.jpg

Baboy-020.jpg

Baboy-021.jpg

Baboy-022.jpg

Baboy-023.jpg

Baboy-024.jpg

Baboy-025.jpg

Baboy-026.jpg

Baboy-027.jpg

Baboy-028.jpg

Baboy-029.jpg

Baboy-030.jpg

Baboy-031.jpg

Baboy-032.jpg

Baboy-033.jpg

Baboy-034.jpg

Baboy-035.jpg

Baboy-036.jpg

Baboy-037.jpg

Baboy-038.jpg

Baboy-039.jpg

Baboy-040.jpg

Baboy-041.jpg

Baboy-042.jpg

Baboy-043.jpg

Baboy-044.jpg

Baboy-045.jpg

Baboy-046.jpg

Baboy-047.jpg

Baboy-048.jpg

Baboy-049.jpg

Thanks for posting....reminds me of the short time I spent over there messing around Subic Bay & Clark AFB....oh yeah!! pig looks great!!!

Very fantastic post! Thanks for putting up these pix - they are really great.

I'll be doing my first rotis piggy next week. It looks like the coals are off to the side a little for most of the cook and then kinda scooted under the pig toward the end, I'm guessing for crisping the skin - is that correct? & about how long did that take?

Very, very cool - loving this!

Awesome post, looks like a great time. I love the PI, and I miss it dearly. Good old Clark Air Base was my home 88-90. Only those whom have been can understand why I say that it's the best place on earth!

Thank you for very much for posting the pictures of an incredible experience!
It brings back memories of my family living in Angeles City during The Vietnam War while my Dad was stationed at Clark AFB with the 8th Bomb Squadron.
Did they stuff the cavity with anything? I want to build a rotisserie pit in my backyard after seeing this cook.:clap2:

Wow, such a great post, thanks for taking the time to share all these pics. Just curious, what language do you guys speak primarily in your area?

I grew up in Puerto Rico, up in the mountains. I'm always amazed by the apparent similarities between cultures, buildings, streets that still remain from the Spanish. Honestly looking though those pictures is like being home. It's foreign, but totally familiar at the same time. I remember the first time I heard somebody speaking a Filipino-Spanish creole language it just about blew my mind...it sounded like I should understand it, but I only got little snippets here and there. Kinda like hearing a Scotsman from the highlands speak English :)

Are those banana trunks being used to support the bamboo? Because dang, they grow them big out there.

Was there one guy turning the pig the whole time? You would have to go into some sort of trance after a while :)

Back