Large or XL BGE

XL is big, but as others have mentioned, you can divide the firebox...

Attachments

• IMG_20110610_185822.jpg
    IMG_20110610_185822.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 62
easy...get the xl...as far as being mobile, eggs are not the easiest thing to move around anyways (unless it is a small or a medium), so I dont see how that would be an issue (given the xl's larger size)

Guarantee more folks have said "i wish i had bought a bigger grill" than the reverse. Get the XL. Latter on you can add a large or a medium for the smaller cooks. You'd be surprised at the amount of food you can get on a medium.

I have the Large, and there are creative ways to get extra meat on it.

Had the XL been redesigned and more egg shaped I would have went that way.
I will probably be adding a second BGE and until I read this thread was convince going with a second Large was the way to go. (Share many items like plate setters etc) But now wonder if the second egg should be an XL.

Being in your shoes, I would with out a doubt go XL, these eggs are so efficient the extra size will not bother you at all when it comes to fuel.

I imagine on an eggs nest they are not horrible to move around. (just dont tip it over)

I have the large and also the mini and LOVE them both... But at wholesale I would go XL and if I could I would get both the Lg and XL if he was cool with that.

Make sure you get a;
plate setter
Pizza Stone
Cast Iron Grate

add in there at least I use them all the time

Bigger is Better, IMHO

Fingerlickin'

Another new guy here, too, but have thoughts about the BGE and sizes. I got my Egg in March and have surpised even myself with the creative meals which are so within reach with the XL BGE.

Last weekend, I did a 40# suckling pig with wonderfu results. I still needed to remove a section of the thoracic ribs in order to get all of the pig on the Egg.

This feat was made doable from the helpful tips and links to info I needed. Since you'll be getting a bargain, no matter what size, maybe this will help convince you:

The charcoal not burned during the ritual remains usable for your next experiments and known outcome griiling/smoking.

Have fun, and share your results! As soon as I get the pictures from the designated pork photog, I'll post them.

Jim

I have the large and also the mini and LOVE them both... But at wholesale I would go XL and if I could I would get both the Lg and XL if he was cool with that.

Make sure you get a;
plate setter
Pizza Stone
Cast Iron Grate

add in there at least I use them all the time

"Get the XL" seems to be the sentiment around here. Everyone also keeps telling me to get both. Luckily my friends store has been around for decades so he's not going anywhere if I decide a year from now to get a second I'll still get the nice price. I'm beginning to believe if I get the XL there may not be a need for it though.

Questions: To actually smoke something on the egg do I need a plate setter or does it just enhance the product. Without one will it just act as a grill? I already have a pizza stone I'm assuming I can just put in there and use unless you need some kind of special one. The cast iron grate has also come up a lot. Is this for getting nice grill marks on my meat or is there some other advantage to it?

I'm going to go against the flow here and say get a Large BGE.

The large BGE (IMO) is a more balanced cooker in terms of fuel/air/chamber moisture/ease of temp control. I cooked on the XL several times and it seems to be more work to achieve similar results. I know lots of guys that have XL's and would say I'm crazy - but after thousands of cooks on a Large, I'm really biased. Plus, the Large has more accessories and is more mobile...save your money for cast iron grate, plate setter and a 3 tier rack...

As always, my .02

I'm really hung up on the rib quantity. How many racks of say..baby backs do you think would fit on a large with the 3 tier rack or even a vertical rib rack? If you don't mind me asking.

Do you ever have a problem with uneven cooking using only half of the charcoal footprint or does is not matter that the fire is offset when smoking? I would imagine that would work out nicely though if I wanted to cook something indirect over charcoal.

Questions: To actually smoke something on the egg do I need a plate setter or does it just enhance the product. Without one will it just act as a grill? I already have a pizza stone I'm assuming I can just put in there and use unless you need some kind of special one. The cast iron grate has also come up a lot. Is this for getting nice grill marks on my meat or is there some other advantage to it?

The Plate Setter is what you use for indirect and low and slow long cooks. No Plate Setter, Direct heat for grilling. Have no idea on the Pizza stone you have. Cast Iron will give good grill marks but not necessary to cook.

I'm really hung up on the rib quantity. How many racks of say..baby backs do you think would fit on a large with the 3 tier rack or even a vertical rib rack? If you don't mind me asking.

I would suggest you look at the one at the dealer and draw a conclusion from that. There are many Rib racks and secondary cooking grates Etc...

Do you ever have a problem with uneven cooking using only half of the charcoal footprint or does is not matter that the fire is offset when smoking? I would imagine that would work out nicely though if I wanted to cook something indirect over charcoal.

Another way to cook Indirect or Direct with a safe zone if the fire gets to hot. Cuts down on Lump usage also at times.

I really think you need to get over to the dealer and check the Egg out. Much easier to visualize what you are wanting to do.

Back