Large or XL BGE

I can't believe you guys have let this get to post 16 without...........Build an UDS!!!

If i had a choice I would get the XL, I have a large and sometimes it's just too small. Good Luck, whichever you pick you'll love it!

Hey! how about building a UDS ! Better yet, Build 2.

I can't believe you guys have let this get to post 16 without...........Build an UDS!!!

If i had a choice I would get the XL, I have a large and sometimes it's just too small. Good Luck, whichever you pick you'll love it!

I hear ya, I am considering getting the large and building a UDS for larger cooks. I'm always looking for a project although I have 0 time for it. First I have to build a table for the BGE be it large or XL.

I have a large BGE and a few BUFORD UDS, best of both worlds.
Last party, I threw a couple butts on the BGE and ribs on BUFORD.
Plenty of food and some variety.

I'd rather have 2 LG, as opposed to an XL. you already have a large capacity smoker, and I think the LG is more practical/easier to control.

Just bought the XL and don't regret it a bit. Handled 5 slabs of baby backs and 2 6lb pork butts with ease. I'm not familiar with the old design but let me tell you...I got it set at 235 degrees at 11pm for my pork butts and at 6 am when I woke up it was still pegged at 235. If you sometimes cook for a larger group I'd say XL hands down...especially if you can get it at wholesale. Check out ceramicgrillstore.com and check out all the cool custom accessories you can get for the XL as well. You won't be dissappointed I'm sure with whichever way you decide to go.

I have a large BGE and a few BUFORD UDS, best of both worlds.
Last party, I threw a couple butts on the BGE and ribs on BUFORD.
Plenty of food and some variety.

I'm beginning to think I may need me a UDS and a large BGE. For the money I save getting the large I can build a UDS right? Variety is the spice of life anyway, isn't that what they say?

I have an XL and a family of 6. I'm glad I have the extra space. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it an not have it.

I have an XL and a family of 6. I'm glad I have the extra space. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it an not have it.

Aww man, quit speaking logically I thought I had made up my mind. Although it's only really my wife and I now. I have a 4 year old who hates to eat period and a 1 year old so it might be a while till I need the extra space for family cooks.

Now that I think of it though the neighbors have become a lot more friendly since I started feeding them ribs!

I have an Oval XL. I can't imagine having just an L. Only have a family of four and two girls who barely eat and still I wish I had extra room sometimes. Yes, there are many times an L would be sufficient, but half the time the XL is filled to capacity. If I've got company over I've got serious planning issues. Also, this isn't a Charbroiler that you throw out after three years. You're going to have this for the long haul and your kids are going to grow up. If you're even debating which one to get, then you need the XL.

For the record, this is the first time I've heard about a BGE XL not being easy to control. I've considered the BGE to be more or less interchangeable with the Primos and can't imagine anything easier, unless it's got an actual temperature dial on it. I really don't think this is an issue. If it is, I'm really confused. I've had people who've never used a grill before of any sort and I told them how to cook something over the farkin' phone from start to finish (even how to light the charcoal) and they did it and it turned out great. Really, I don't think this is an issue.

I have an xl and I love it. You can get a lot of stuff on there with the extended racks. For small cooks use the divider plate and you only need half the lump. I was torn with the egg vs xl, but the xl had more options and capacity than the egg. Both are good cookers and you won't go wrong with either one ,I choose the xl because of the versatility and IT IS AMERICAN MADE!!!!
Brother Steve

I have an xl and I love it. You can get a lot of stuff on there with the extended racks. For small cooks use the divider plate and you only need half the lump. I was torn with the egg vs xl, but the xl had more options and capacity than the egg. Both are good cookers and you won't go wrong with either one ,I choose the xl because of the versatility and IT IS AMERICAN MADE!!!!
Brother Steve

Steve, Maybe I misled you a bit. By, XL I meant a BGE XL not the Oval XL that I believe Gore was refering to. I think I would rather have the oval but my friend doesn't sell them only BGE and I don't want to pay retail if I can avoid it.

I have an Oval XL. I can't imagine having just an L. Only have a family of four and two girls who barely eat and still I wish I had extra room sometimes. Yes, there are many times an L would be sufficient, but half the time the XL is filled to capacity. If I've got company over I've got serious planning issues. Also, this isn't a Charbroiler that you throw out after three years. You're going to have this for the long haul and your kids are going to grow up. If you're even debating which one to get, then you need the XL.

For the record, this is the first time I've heard about a BGE XL not being easy to control. I've considered the BGE to be more or less interchangeable with the Primos and can't imagine anything easier, unless it's got an actual temperature dial on it. I really don't think this is an issue. If it is, I'm really confused. I've had people who've never used a grill before of any sort and I told them how to cook something over the farkin' phone from start to finish (even how to light the charcoal) and they did it and it turned out great. Really, I don't think this is an issue.

^^^What he said, exactly :thumb:

-Also, both BGE and Primo are headquartered in Georgia. However, the BGE is built in Mexico and the Primo is built in Norcross, GA.

I'm sorry if I confused things. I figured my comments would translate directly to BGEs. I'm not trying to push Ovals. If I had the deal you're offered, I'd go with the BGE too, but would go with the XL.

Tough call... Heck your getting wholesale so ask your buddy if you can get both a Lg and XL. Good luck on your decision.

Back