Lang vs Meadow Creek

I'm loving this thread as I am considering both units as well. Although, the trip to New Holland, PA is a short one for me, I still want to want the best choice possible the first time. Lang's look very nice!

The MC120 has a little bit bigger cooking area and I like the slide out shelves and fire box. Again, the trip to PA is a lot shorter than GA.

This is really sad, but, when we were up at the New Holland contest earlier this year, we stopped by the show-room store for MC. The guy told us that they were offering 5% discount for the contest event.

And, here is the real kicker: My wife says, "Go ahead and get one now. Get it with the BBQ26 chicken cooker (as we had just had some of the chicken cooked on a larger cooker at the contest and she loved the chicken) and, you might as well add the PR60 Pig cooker." I was so taken back by this, I had "buyers remorse"! And I hadn't even purchased anything!!!!

Oh well, I'm think I'm glad I didn't at the time as I still need to learn as much as I can before that big of a purchase. That's a lot of cash!!!!!!

Please post your thoughts on your new smoker; I'm listening!!!

Congrats!!

wallace

I am cooking on mine now and absolutly love it, no buyers remorse from me. Its built like a tank and was surprised that even with it being only 35 degrees out it only took 30 minutes to get up to 225 degrees.

I put 3 oven temp gauges on the racks, one the very left corner and one very right corner of bottom grate, the last on the center of the second grate.

Temps were 225 bottom left, 250 bottom right and center top was 300. Lid temp showed 250.

It was quite even but still had the perfect amount of change so I could easily move meat around to even up cooking time.

I also love how I can pull the grates all the way out and still load them out. Fit and finish is A+ IMO.

Will be eating some chicken off it soon.

They are both great cookers that I'm sure of. It will be the little things that will sway you and you won't know what they are until you cook on them both. You may end up modifying them anyway. For example charcoal basket, utensil hangers and door sealers. #1 beef with me is insulated fire box that I would trade for other features or pay extra for....

They are both great cookers that I'm sure of. It will be the little things that will sway you and you won't know what they are until you cook on them both. You may end up modifying them anyway. For example charcoal basket, utensil hangers and door sealers. #1 beef with me is insulated fire box that I would trade for other features or pay extra for....

I really like the warming box, worked great when I was taking thighs off that were done and still have some that were not.

The insulated fire box would force me to give that up.

I will say that my egg and insulated vertical I built will still get some use, they are very efficient when cooking smaller amounts.

This has the charcoal basket, but I will build a rack better suited for wood to use most of the time.

Chicken was GREAT, too dark to get pics of that I did take a pic of the smoker but will post it tomorrow when I take some more. It was getting dark when I thought about it, plus had crisco all over the inside :-D

Great to hear that.:cool: I still love the MOAB too. Fired her up today and did a ham and some sausage. Like others have said, you couldn't go wrong with either one.

PA BBQ,

First off I love the question. I live 25 minutes from Meadowcreek's showroom and have been there recently many times. I have been doing some calculations based on distance to Lang, price per sq. inch of cooking space, etc. I am a ways off from buying a trailer type smoker (want one now though :) ). It seems like Lang has more bang for the buck in terms of cost. However, I know a handful of local pitmasters that swear by Meadowcreek. More than anything else I am just in pursuit of good Que coming from my backyard. That drives me on. Good luck with the TS120, gotta say I'm jealous as heck!

My MC is on order

A few weeks ago I placed an order for my Meadow Creek TS120 (hope it will be ready for pick up in two weeks). I added an insulated fire box on mine and you can still keep the warmer box option. They create vents into the warmer box so that you can control the heat into the warmer and even smoke in it if you need the extra space.

I was searching between a Klose and a Lang, but then decided to order the MC and put the money I would have spent to deliver the other units, into extras on the TS120. Sure hope it's worth the wait!

Glad this thread got bumped! I picked up my Meadowcreek SQ36 with second tier rack and charcoal insert a few weeks ago. Have done a turkey, a fattie, burgers, brats and chicken. Everything amazing so far. The decision maker for me at this point was the $450 or so for shipping on a Lang and also my current capacity needs. I didn't need something as big for now. For my purposes the SQ36 was perfect. With the upgrades of the 2nd tier rack and charcoal insert it was $1298 after tax. Couldn't be happier. Can't wait to do a 12 hour smoke of butts and brisket! Love tending that fire too lol.

Last edited:
Let us know how the MC is when you get it!

Ibrahim,

See you are from Jersey, MC in Newholland PA is having their annual auction in April. They will sell the cookers that they rented out the previous season for about 10% off. Used pretty lightly in the grand scheme of things. It is a beast but I know a TS250 is up on the list. Don't know if they will be selling any TS120's. If you are just a backyard guy (like me, for now) consider the SQ36...I think I could get about 60-80# of shoulders and butts on mine with the second rack. I won't outcook that for a while.

A few weeks ago I placed an order for my Meadow Creek TS120 (hope it will be ready for pick up in two weeks). I added an insulated fire box on mine and you can still keep the warmer box option. They create vents into the warmer box so that you can control the heat into the warmer and even smoke in it if you need the extra space.

I was searching between a Klose and a Lang, but then decided to order the MC and put the money I would have spent to deliver the other units, into extras on the TS120. Sure hope it's worth the wait!

I am sure it will be. It has been a brutal winter for me on the fringe of lake erie. My insulated vertical build and BGE has been getting the call lately.

I did cook on the TS120 in some cold temps and it did fine, but now there is so much snow I just don't feel like wading through the snow to get to it.

I am sure over the next few months it will get lots of use again.

42bbq you mention loving fire tending. I cooked a brisket in the wsm and turkey in the brinkmann and I thought to myself, I love the hands on of fire cooking and being able to open either the fire door or the chamber and look at my product directly. The wsm is not as convienent for being able to check out the meat. Maybe I just like the horizontal type cookers better thats all. (Thoughts)

42BBQ

I've heard pretty poor things about that auction. A few people told me they wind up going for well over the 10% off and sometimes for more than they do new!

I've called them before and they sometimes have new showroom models for 12% or more off so I'm not sure the auction is the way to go. The problem with the model they offered me is it was the TS250. That seems like a waste of fuel to power that guy consider the amount I'd need to cook.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1464326&postcount=13

42bbq you mention loving fire tending. I cooked a brisket in the wsm and turkey in the brinkmann and I thought to myself, I love the hands on of fire cooking and being able to open either the fire door or the chamber and look at my product directly. The wsm is not as convienent for being able to check out the meat. Maybe I just like the horizontal type cookers better thats all. (Thoughts)

Everything I know (which ain't much) I've learned on an upright (UDS). I love that I can set it and go to bed for 6 hours in the dead of winter without worrying about my butts. I love that it can cook ribs, chicken, brisket, and shoulder. I love everything about it. However, I am thoroughly enjoying the new challenge of cooking with a stickburner. I like the idea of a wood fire vs. a charcoal fire. Now, don't get me wrong, I start with a base of K coals before I add cherry splits. But I let the K burn out and keep adding wood through the cook. I won't stop cooking with the drum, but I like the challenge of the stickburner. To each his own of course :-D

42BBQ

I've heard pretty poor things about that auction. A few people told me they wind up going for well over the 10% off and sometimes for more than they do new!

I've called them before and they sometimes have new showroom models for 12% or more off so I'm not sure the auction is the way to go. The problem with the model they offered me is it was the TS250. That seems like a waste of fuel to power that guy consider the amount I'd need to cook.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1464326&postcount=13

Noted, I have not personally been to any of the auctions. I only got into Que as a hobby last summer. As such have never had the opportunity to attend one. I have only seen what the advertise on their site regarding the auction. I am, however, hoping to attend the auction and may be going to the KCBS certified judge class they are hosting on the same weekend. Not decided yet on the judging class though. Thanks for the info.

Lake Dog brings up a good point.
The Lang 60 DLX and TS 120 are more similiar and the camparison should be done between them.

I don't think you can go wrong with either cooker. I have two Langs and they are both great. The 60 is a great size and to my understanding is much less expensive then the Meadow Creek. The appearance of a Meadow Creek is probably better then the Lang, but who really cares about that. I use my Lang 60 more then any other of the large cookers that I have.

Good luck with your choice.
BBQ Mafia I would love to know your thoughts on your Lang vs your Spicewine. thats the comparison I am looking at. I know they are two very different style cookers each with its own dynamics so please share your thoughts.

Ibrahim,

See you are from Jersey, MC in Newholland PA is having their annual auction in April. They will sell the cookers that they rented out the previous season for about 10% off. Used pretty lightly in the grand scheme of things. It is a beast but I know a TS250 is up on the list. Don't know if they will be selling any TS120's. If you are just a backyard guy (like me, for now) consider the SQ36...I think I could get about 60-80# of shoulders and butts on mine with the second rack. I won't outcook that for a while.

My wifey and I are there this year. There for the KCBS judge class as well.

wallace

Wallace,

Sounds good, I will hopefully be attending the class but still on the fence. I see in your sig line you are looking for a TS 120, do you need it on a trailer? I know they have a TS120P now that is a "push around" capable. Perfect for a big patio and a little cheaper.

Wallace,

Sounds good, I will hopefully be attending the class but still on the fence. I see in your sig line you are looking for a TS 120, do you need it on a trailer? I know they have a TS120P now that is a "push around" capable. Perfect for a big patio and a little cheaper.

Looking for the trailer. And if I have the chance, I'm going all the way. Adding a BBQ 26 and PR42. I dream BIG!!!!

Big reallity says I'll take what I get.

We are already paid up and confirmed for the KCBS class and plan on being there for the auction as well.

Hope to meet 'n greet a lot of folks.

wallace

Back