Yet Another LSG vs Meadow Creek thread

WhiskyJoe

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Eric
Hi All!

Frequent reader / rare poster here. Looking at 48" LSG or Meadow Creek offset. Given that I'm in NJ, LSG shipping would be $$$. The only real difference that I'm seeing is the presence of the tuning plates on the LSG. Can anyone share what they see as the temp drift across the Meadow Creek?

Unless it's 500 degrees, I don't see how it justifies the $1k in shipping to pick up a LSG but I still wanted to dot that i.

Something to really look into before you buy is traditional (or direct ) flow versus reverse flow (RF). You'll want to decide which suits your purposes better before you lay down a large sum of cash on a particular builder.

Here's a basic break down with some diagrams to help you understand the differences.
https://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/blog/what-is-a-reverse-flow-smoker/

LSG is a direct flow but uses tuning plates to help even out the temps across the cooking grates. Meadow Creed is reverse flow so your temps should be very consistent along the cooking grates (left to right).

Personally I prefer reverse flow as there's no hot spots (at least in my experience), and you can put meat anywhere on those cooking grates without having to rotate them. Meadow Creek is a good builder but they are near the top echelon in terms of price...very pricey when compared to just about any other builder out there. Shipping from other regions can be expensive, so I understand just eating the higher price going with Meadow Creek rather than paying someone else to ship your cooker.

Meadowcreek is extremely well Made There could be a dealer near you They have great customer service I had the 120 and loved it I have heard that the insulated firebox is worth it

There are quite a few builders that are closer to your area that I would pick before paying shipping on a LSG pit. I don't care for their tuning plates at all. Too much radiant cooking.

I looked at a MC 120 a while back at a local dealer and was really impressed. Being in PA you might be able to save some money on shipping by picking it up at the factory.

Back