THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mike3049

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Mike
Hi folks, I’m having a hard time figuring out fire management and pit temperature in my Lang. Temp in pit near fire box is at least 50 degrees higher, I understand it’s going to be but just makes it hard to manage the meat. I’ve seen on other smokers little plates you put down to regulate temp near fire box side, like a heat defector. Has anybody tried that in a Lang?
Also, is there a better way to manage the fire, maybe use more charcoal in a basket with chucks of wood for longer burn times. I know it’s a stick burner so I’ll probably get some flak with that question . I also have a vertical insulated smoker, it can run all night at whatever temperature I set it at, give or take a few degrees. I just hate babysitting the offset so much.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Well the Lang is a reverse flow right? So you already have a "metal plate" that runs the full length of the cook chamber. The metal tuning or diffuser plates you're referring to are used in traditional flow offsets. My guess would be you're just getting radiant heat from the firebox, I get a little bit of that on my Shirley on the bottom shelf nearest the firebox. I dont think it's 50*, but I haven't really paid attention in quite a while.

This is why so many experienced owners of offset and reverse flow style pits recommend a larger model than what someone thinks they may need.

There is a large sweet spot in every one of them that runs pretty consistent with the temp you want leaving the fire box end and the offside end unused other than those times where you have something finishing early that needs less heat and other time needs more.

That hot spot is very handy when your cooking butts or brisket and want to toss on some sausage or pork steaks etc. for the last hour to finish with everything else.

I recently purchased a Kat 24x60 reverse flow offset and had some issues on the first couple cooks. I don't know how you are building your fire but you might try positioning it closer to the firebox door. I think that might heat the RF plate a little less which should reduce the radiant heat you get from it on that side of the cooker.

I am new to RF cooking so somebody else with more experience might contradict that.

Matt

This is why so many experienced owners of offset and reverse flow style pits recommend a larger model than what someone thinks they may need.

There is a large sweet spot in every one of them that runs pretty consistent with the temp you want leaving the fire box end and the offside end unused other than those times where you have something finishing early that needs less heat and other time needs more.

That hot spot is very handy when your cooking butts or brisket and want to toss on some sausage or pork steaks etc. for the last hour to finish with everything else.

I like to cook spatchcock'd chicken on the lower grate next to the fire box on my Shirley. Higher heat and good radiance off the reverse flow plate.

Build a smaller fire. I had to learn that a REALLY small fire will still hold that pit at 225 once its up to temp.

The smaller the splits, the better. I also do resort to closing down my intakes about 1/4 to 1/3. That seems to also even out the top rack being 50 degrees more than the bottom.

PM me anytime if you want to chat about it.

I like to cook spatchcock'd chicken on the lower grate next to the fire box on my Shirley. Higher heat and good radiance off the reverse flow plate.

I did as well all my Lang's had a nice big hot spot near the firebox and all the chicken and sausage went on there.

My big Shirley with the insulated firebox has almost no real estate on it that varies much in temp, only about the first 4" on the firebox end run hot but it's just enough to come in handy if a few pieces of chicken or pork steaks need a little more heat to catch up.

The small hot fire with pieces coming off the kindling cracker have really contributed to more even heat and less fuel consumption to maintain desired temps.

Build a smaller fire. I had to learn that a REALLY small fire will still hold that pit at 225 once its up to temp.

The smaller the splits, the better. I also do resort to closing down my intakes about 1/4 to 1/3. That seems to also even out the top rack being 50 degrees more than the bottom.

PM me anytime if you want to chat about it.

i cook on a LANG60 you will halve dif. in temp from side to side the laws of physic`s demand it try tilting the front end up heat and smoke rise as far as halving to watch the smoker thats a stick burner they are not set and forget fire mang. is the key

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Bottom line is know your smoker. Know your temp zones and plan accordingly and if you want to cook on a stick burner, plan on spending some time with it. Thanks again

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Bottom line is know your smoker. Know your temp zones and plan accordingly and if you want to cook on a stick burner, plan on spending some time with it. Thanks again

Mike you may want to look into a Kindling Cracker from Northern Tool they are running a sale on them right now.

You will find it almost effortless to get firewood splits down to a more appropriate size for stick burning offsets that tool has been a game changer for fire management. I've been whittling firewood splits down to size for decades on my offsets with a maul and hatchet and this invention sure made life easier not having to do that anymore.

This is the XL version, handy if your splits run to the larger side.

mihtyHjl.jpg

Back