THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I steam clean my pit when it needs it...The water is sprayed when the pit is at 300-350...My pit is seasoned, so the water steam cleans & excess runs off...(Think, water on a ducks back)...With this process I can get in the nooks and crannies with little effort...After a short time all the water is gone and I can spray Pam where needed...No harm, no foul...Ready to cook...Works for me, actual results may vary...

Congratulations on your 36!!!

My 48 usually runs between 225 and 250. I seem to get the cleanest smoke with the dampers opened. To raise the temp, I have to increase the amount of wood. I used to fight with the temp, now I just adjust my cooking times. The one item that's helped me the most with fire management is the Maverick 732. Using the bbq probe and the remote monitor help me keep an eye on the grill surface temp without having to actually sit there or constantly go back and check. When it drops below 225, I add another split.

As far as cleaning, I clean after each cook. I switch from the weed burner burn off or increasing the temp and cleaning with steam. I have noticed with the weed burner, the grates get so hot they warp, but when they cool off they lay back flat. Not as flat as when first purchased, but flat enough. But it does burn off all the grease. Prior to steam cleaning I use a 5 inch paint scraper to remove as much of the droppings as possible. Everything goes into an small aluminum trash can w/lid from HD that collects all the hot ashes as well.

Enjoy....

Back