Land Shrimp

You wusses sound like a bunch of kids. You need to try before you knock (criticise).
I like deep fried grasshoppers and have had them many times in Thailand - they are crunchy and have nutty flavour. In Australia I have tried and enjoyed witchetty grubs a number of different ways including roasted, crushed and served in a soup.
John

I would try them, but probably be gagging the whole time. If they tasted good, I would try some more. The problem is that, if I liked them, they would be pretty much unavailable for 17 years...

Just another reminder of why I shouldn't eat breakfast at the computer.

Considering the 17 year Cicada's are poised to invade the east coast any day now you'll have plenty of meat for your BBQ.

Rusty is spot on. One of my best culanary surprises was riding on my bike I got a bug in my mouth. It was sweet like a peach.

Can bugs be Q is the real question that needs answered here before we banish this to the WP. I am willing to say, I am devided, I proposed a perfectly plausable method to make Q of these little bugs, Q is the low and slow method to cook most all of critters of this planet. But bugs by nature do not react well to heat (have a tendancy to pop when "cooked" over a lighter.) And us westerners have a strong aversion to insects, but there are chutneys out there made of ground ants and are considered some of the WORLDS BEST.

So as a community we have to make the call if it is plausable someone may be able to Q these little bugs. I am not going to go so far as to call this TRADITIONAL BBQ but since I am sure it can be done and get some good flavor, I can't say this thread deserves to be WP'ed. Are there posts of questionable quality thinking this was a troll, sure, but the core got some of us thinking about what Q is and can be.

At this point I think I will try and bring the Q to these little bugs because I may not live long enough to see the next ones come round and go I heard these were tasty last time round.

More of a cultural thing I'm sure. I'm not sure if I could bring myself to eat one "knowing" what they are. But they look good in the pic, if someone said "here, give this a try" I might give it a go, not "knowing" what it really was..........and then who knows?

OR..........after enough beer........:wacko:

KC

I'm adventurous somewhat but there are limits and this goes beyond it. We are supposed to get some of them soon. You can come here and help yourself to my share!!!

No thanks. I've got rat on a stick.

Last edited:
I see no reason that this post should be in the WP. I've seen others post pics of hamburgers, hotdogs and veggies. None of which can be considered BBQ either. The land shrimp are cooked over charcoal thus it should be no issues with Qtalk were burgers moved to the wood pile? Come on guys have an open mind. Food is food.

I see no reason that this post should be in the WP. I've seen others post pics of hamburgers, hotdogs and veggies. None of which can be considered BBQ either. The land shrimp are cooked over charcoal thus it should be no issues with Qtalk were burgers moved to the wood pile? Come on guys have an open mind. Food is food.

I'm assuming you were referring to my post. I added a smiley to my comment, but somehow it didn't show up. My suggestion about belonging in WP had far more to do with the subsequent off color comments than it was about your post, if that makes any sense. :nod:

I'm assuming you were referring to my post. I added a smiley to my comment, but somehow it didn't show up. My suggestion about belonging in WP had far more to do with the subsequent off color comments than it was about your post, if that makes any sense. :nod:
No problem it was posted to see everyone's reaction. I've actually had food in restaurants that was not as good as these bugs lol. :becky:

Back