Lake Placid, NY 2009

I usually stop our our camps on the way up that are on loon lake near schroon. We go up and spend the day there on thursday and then go up the Lake Placid friday morning.All are welcome to stop in and spend the night and fish the day. I also have a beater canoe I can bring up to the comp if you guy's need one.

I am expecting to be alone so if anyone wants to come on up and hang out and cook let me know, I will intorduce you to Muffintop!

I've always wanted to make a trip to LP and check out the OTC there, fishing and cooking are a bonus. It would fill my NE cooking block as well. I'll be in touch:mrgreen:

I'm going to see the Luge world cup in February. It's gonna be ccccccccoooooolllllddd

Very cooool! (No pun intended) We were just in Salt Lake/Park City and watched some guys training at the facility there that are trying to work their way onto the team. Insane sport, but very cool!

I usually stop our our camps on the way up that are on loon lake near schroon. We go up and spend the day there on thursday and then go up the Lake Placid friday morning.All are welcome to stop in and spend the night and fish the day. I also have a beater canoe I can bring up to the comp if you guy's need one.

that sounds like a good idea, I plan on taking Thursday anyway.

I was hoping to try get this other trip going after the contest, on maybe Monday after the crowds clear out. I have a great spot to go nearby, the launch and parking lot gets kinda nuts on the weekends but is usually empty in the week. Anyone who wants to go just let me know before hand and I will have all the gear we need. I can't promise you we'll catch anything but I will make sure you get a classic Adirondack experience that you will never forget.

I don't know what else anyone wants to do but I would definately recommend taking the tour of the ski jumps and ride the lift up Whiteface, especially all of you flatlanders. You are going to be in the middle of the High Peaks Region of the Adirondack State Park and while our mountains aren't as high as those out west, they are every bit as dramatic.

We went up to the top of Whiteface for one trip. Then the next trip we took the chairlift up... As you said, it's pretty dramatic.

Attachments

• 134-3451_IMG.JPG
    134-3451_IMG.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 134-3446_IMG.JPG
    134-3446_IMG.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 134-3450_IMG.JPG
    134-3450_IMG.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 134-3441_IMG.JPG
    134-3441_IMG.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 118
have some of those same pics with other people.......lol

whiteface is the only mountain in NY over 4000' that you drive up, but the chairlift is the way to go, if nothing else just to watch the crazy mtn bikers below you.

We did the big mistake of walking to the top of Whiteface from the parking lot instead of taking the elevator... That might of been the point I really realized how much lack of oxygen affects a fat and out of shape BBQr... :icon_bugeyed

There are some really cool roadside stops on the way up to the top too. I want to say we had a picnic and then about 50 mountain bikers went flying by... I lost my appetite watching them work so hard... So I popped myself a beer. :twisted::twisted:

have some of those same pics with other people.......lol

whiteface is the only mountain in NY over 4000' that you drive up, but the chairlift is the way to go, if nothing else just to watch the crazy mtn bikers below you.

Same here have been there many times. The wife and kids just went up last summer with friends while I was working

Anyone know what the Fabulous-taste-o-rama is? want to get entry in. And the Buck-a-rib, do alot of people do it. is it worth doing or is it just more work.

Just about everyone does the buck a rib, if nothing else to help Dmitry out. They really bend over backwards for the cooks, the least we could do was sell some ribs... I think we sold out 3 cases in about 30 minutes... So not a lot of effort and the kids did all the selling part...

Some of the hotels have shuttle busses that run to the Oval. Makes it easy for the family.

The fireworks on the 4th are great. You know this year they are doing the Jr World Championship BBQ competition on Sat as well. That is going to be so different. The teams have to dress up as a team, present to hopefully notable judges. Working on getting some big names for the judges on Sat. Now there is a CBJ class on Friday also.
Anybody have any good motel/hotel recommendations?

I did say fly fishing, I am more of a spin fisherman myself but have been looking for an excuse to bust out my fly rod. Mike, I know is an avid fly fisherman so I was hoping to drag him along for tips and pointers.

Count on it. The Ausable River just below the ski jumps holds some of the biggest inland trout I've ever caught on dry flies. (Yes, Jorge - FLY FISHING)

I believe there is open water where spin fisherman and fly fisherman could stand side by side and enjoy a nice day on the water!

The six hour drive was well worth the trip. Beautiful little town, we had a great time, my daughter (12) and her friend loved it there. Forgot about reality for 3 days, loved it!

dave
red planet bbq

Some of the hotels have shuttle busses that run to the Oval. Makes it easy for the family.

The fireworks on the 4th are great. You know this year they are doing the Jr World Championship BBQ competition on Sat as well. That is going to be so different. The teams have to dress up as a team, present to hopefully notable judges. Working on getting some big names for the judges on Sat. Now there is a CBJ class on Friday also.
My son Steven(15 by then) is very disappointed that the age group for the jr contest is 16. He started cooking with me when he was 11

Count on it. The Ausable River just below the ski jumps holds some of the biggest inland trout I've ever caught on dry flies. (Yes, Jorge - FLY FISHING)

I believe there is open water where spin fisherman and fly fisherman could stand side by side and enjoy a nice day on the water!

Just had my grandfathers 3 piece 9' bamboo rod redone sounds like a good time to try it out.I haven't fished the old Ausable in years.

My son Steven(15 by then) is very disappointed that the age group for the jr contest is 16. He started cooking with me when he was 11

I am sure they are not going to ID anyone. Put him in change the date on the birth certificate. White out and a copy machine are priceless.:lol:

love it when a plan comes together!

those waters all catch and release? I know the Ausable more towards Keene is.........

love it when a plan comes together!

those waters all catch and release? I know the Ausable more towards Keene is.........

Towards Keene it is open water. Regulated water starts just outside of LP, and ends above the Ausable Chasm. I would have to look at the NYS Fishing Regs to confirm. There's still a lot of good water below the Chasm. Unfortunately, a great deal of it is posted.... The closer you get to Lake Champlain you get, you start to pickup smallmouth bass and landlocked salmon. (Not that I've spent anytime here....:roll:)

You thinking about hitting the water after the contest?

Like many, we're trying to balance money this year. Steel market is tough. No matter the economy, its a good time to travel, as most companies shut down for that week.

Back