Labor Day ribs ala Naturiffic...

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Scott/Mongo
For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of using any of member SirPorkaLot's Naturiffic seasonings, I'd highly recommend giving them a try:

https://www.naturiffic.com/

One of my favorites is "Sir Porkalot's Rib Rub:

https://www.naturiffic.com/gourmet?category=BBQ+Rub

With that in mind, I fired up the Oval yesterday for some Labor Day ribs...

l0hwzgv.jpg

A couple meaty St. Louis racks rubbed and ready to roll...

3jNT94H.jpg

On they go around 11 AM...

fo3culu.jpg

And viola! About six hours later after a 3-2-1...

88i6rGY.jpg

Any attempt at a plated shot would have caused the natives to riot, but they were mighty tasty as always and a big hit with the crowd. Thanks John!

Looks beautiful. One question: I see that you've got the pit set for 250* and you did a 3-2-1. In my experience, I wouldn't be able to lift those off the grate, they'd be falling apart so much. How strict were you with your 3-2-1? Those look absolutely perfect so I'm wondering if Mongo has some special secret you're not telling us.

Looks beautiful. One question: I see that you've got the pit set for 250* and you did a 3-2-1. In my experience, I wouldn't be able to lift those off the grate, they'd be falling apart so much. How strict were you with your 3-2-1? Those look absolutely perfect so I'm wondering if Mongo has some special secret you're not telling us.

The total time was pretty much six hours, but it was more like 3-2.25-.45 and I adjusted pit temp down to 242 after taking the initial picture. When I pulled them from the foil I had to handle them gingerly, but they were nowhere near falling apart. They were pretty meaty and I don’t pull membrane, so perhaps that’s the Mongolian special secret… :noidea:

The total time was pretty much six hours, but it was more like 3-2.25-.45 and I adjusted pit temp down to 242 after taking the initial picture. When I pulled them from the foil I had to handle them gingerly, but they were nowhere near falling apart. They were pretty meaty and I don’t pull membrane, so perhaps that’s the Mongolian special secret… :noidea:

OK, I'm a membrane puller, so I'm guessing that is the difference. Anyway, they look absolutely fabulous. I'm shocked that you did even longer in the foil.

They do look great. I order a couple of things from Naturiffic (John) a week or so ago. Intended to try some rib rub and another rub, but either (maybe both) my fat fingers or my little brain botched it. Only ordered 2/4 things I intended. Sad.

I'd love to hear your opinion on the taste profile. Sweet, back heat, salty, umami?

I'd love to hear your opinion on the taste profile. Sweet, back heat, salty, umami?

Ummm… I wish I could give you a good read on the taste profile but my senses of taste and smell eloped back in October of last year so I’m not the best source of quality feedback. Based on the ingredients though, I’d say yes on all counts but the sweet.

Back